Best headphone + amp combo for gaming?
Feb 6, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #16 of 31
598s actually have pretty controlled, precise bass that hits pretty well for an open back can. I noticed a big difference in bass between the soundcard and the Magni 2 Uber though; So you really need a decent amp/dac to bring out the best in the 598s. I can't see myself using another can except maybe the 650.

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #17 of 31
I could imagine that an amp would make a big difference with headphones like these, alas my wife will kill me if I try to buy both lol Maybe I'll just grab the headphones for now and try to get an amp down the road.

About the 598's, I've read that they are a bit 'slower' and more laid back then other headphones, will the still sound good with rock/metal as well as action games?

Feb 6, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #19 of 31
You guys run a DAC from your sound card to your headphones? What if you have a powered headphone port on your sound card is that really necessary?

Motherboard > DAC > Amp > headphones.
I used the motherboard soundcard then upgraded to a discrete soundcard (STX), then got the Schiit stack.
I'll never ever go back to using soundcards. Ever.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #23 of 31
Hey, Sound Blaster Z to my AKG 612k gives great positional sound regardless of SBX being on or off. Preference always being whether you like to scan left to right for sound or trust 3D positional orientation provided.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #24 of 31
Depends on your budget and wants/needs. If you have a huge budget, than the Beyerdynamic T1s/Hifiman He560 with the Soundblaster X7 has you covered. IF you don't have the budget, than a Soundblaster Z to a Schiit stack will do well with the following headphones: Fidelio X1/X2 (for a balance between cinematic and competitive game play,) He400i (for cinematic, but this is the most expensive headphone I'm listing,) Ad700 (cheapest, but only good for competive gaming,) K702 (more expensive than the AD700 but is better competively,) K712 (is a balance between fun and competitive,) and the Mad Dogs (if you want a closed headphone that is great for cinematically and great (but not exceptional) at competitive gaming.)

If you have a console, than an Astro Mixamp to a Magni will work with any of those headphones I just listed.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #25 of 31
Akg k712 pro/ akg k7xx massdrop edition (pretty much the same headphone just for cheaper but comes at a cost of being hard to get.)
Sennheiser hd650
Philips fidelip x2 (known for being a good gaming headphone with better than average soundstage.)
Hifiman he 400i, 500 and anything above

With either o2 + odac and amp or schiit magni 2 and modi 2.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #27 of 31
Thanks guys I really appreciate your input and suggestions, I really wish I could afford them. If I have to get amp + dac then I'd be looking at close to $500 and that is way outside my budget. I might have to give up on this dream and juts settle for a crummy headset again.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #28 of 31
Thanks guys I really appreciate your input and suggestions, I really wish I could afford them. If I have to get amp + dac then I'd be looking at close to $500 and that is way outside my budget. I might have to give up on this dream and juts settle for a crummy headset again.

Just get a hd558 or ad700, than a used mixamp and antlion mic. It will run you 250ish, which should do you very well.

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #30 of 31

Just get a hd558 or ad700, than a used mixamp and antlion mic. It will run you 250ish, which should do you very well.

Yep.

Start with the HD598 or ATH-A900X. Both of these would be excellent for gaming and can be had for ~ $150 on Amazon at this moment. Then save up the extra for the Soundblaster Z or the Mixamp. Either the HD598 or A900X would give you very good sound on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back