Best headphone + amp combo for gaming?
Feb 5, 2015 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

DigitalEternal

Head-Fier
Hey Guys, So it's time for a new gaming headset, I've tpyically gone with headsets for gaming but been doing a lot of looking and can't find one that seems to have the audio quality I'm after.

The biggest reason I go with headsets is for the surround sound but I know there are some surround sound headphone amps like Astro's MixAmp that will add fairly convincing virtual surround.

What would be the best headphones for gaming? For what I've see the Audio Technica AD700's seem to get top makrs for gaming.

Criteria:
- Outstanding sound quality with a very good sound stage
- Comfortable, my ears and head is a bit larger then some so I want ones where the cups will fit around my ears instead of sitting on parts of them.
- Good build quality, with the office chair there is a tendency for the cord to get hooked on the arm rest and my headphones tend to meet the ground often.
- Price, I'd like to stay under $200 for both headphones and amp.

That brings me to the amp, I'm not sure what options are really out there, Astro has the MixAmp and I think Creative has a amp as well, any other suggestions that offer very good surround?

Thanks guys!

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 31
HD 598 has outstanding sound quality and unmatched sound stage for the price. Schiit Magni 2 Uber for the amp and Schiit Modi 2 Uber for the DAC.
Disclaimer I use all three and love it for gaming (and music).

Why would one use a DAC for gaming?

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 31
Creative X7 has gotten some nice reviews.
I personally use an Astro MixAmp, JDS 02 amp, and AKG K612 w/Antlion Modmic.

I used Sennheiser PC360 directly from MixAmp for a few years and it sounded great. I wish I never sold those headphones.

I have Philips X2 on order and am waiting on the K7XX massdrop.

As for your price it's gonna be tough/impossible to find a decent sounding headphone and surround DAC for less than $200.

Feb 5, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 31
Why would one use a DAC for gaming?

You always use a DAC, unless you're playing an analog game, may as well use a quality DAC. I absolutely noticed the quality difference between the Asus Xonar Essence STX and the Schiit stack.

The OP was asking about surround sound. The Schiit does not do that. Did not want to confuse OP.

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 31
You can get pretty convincing virtual surround, I will mostly be gameing with these and some tv/movies, for music I have a fairly decent stereo setup which I perfer to headphones of any caliber.

So wait, Gerafone, are you saying that the HD598's or the AD700's sound bad?

Which headphones would be my best bet?

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 31
  You can get pretty convincing virtual surround, I will mostly be gameing with these and some tv/movies, for music I have a fairly decent stereo setup which I perfer to headphones of any caliber.

So wait, Gerafone, are you saying that the HD598's or the AD700's sound bad?

Which headphones would be my best bet?

I agree with Geraphone's point about the quality.  I really don't have trouble with my Schiit stack and DT 880's in terms of positional audio - whether it is a fps, rts, hack/slash, rpg, racing, etc.  To me the added benefit of being able to hear more sounds, and clearly, has been a better trade off (sometimes sounds can get mixed together in heavy action with lesser setups).  YMMV; I can't game properly with a different weighted mouse than I have, you may not like gaming without the virtual surround. 

About which ones would be your best bet...good luck...do a quick search to see how many threads there are on that one.  I would give you advice if I had more HF experience; I am too biased about Beyerdynamic for multiple purpose uses.  

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 31
The pro version of the dt880's? Still way too much money for me.

Also noticed good things about the ATH-AD900, seen there is a new version (AD900x) which is considerably less expensive, do they have the same sound/build quality? Also there are the newer AD700X, not sure how they compare to the original AD700's

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 31
There's also the ATH-M50X but those are closed so I know they won't hafe the same sound stage.

From what I've read both the AD700/900/X and the HD598's are pretty anemic in the bass department which is a bit dissapointing as I like a punchy bass.

Now I'm really stuck, any other options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back