Best Headphone ~$200?
Jun 21, 2011 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jums

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

After deciding that purchasing a decent portable headphone was a bad idea as most cannot live up to the superb isolation of IEMs and the soundstage and depth of full size cans, I decided that I would stick with my a151's and take the plunge into the full sized can world. Ideally Im looking for something around $200, but more expensive headphones can be considered if they can be purchased second hand for around that price.

Havent decided between closed or open as I need something which would offer better isolation (all dependant on model of course).
Definitely circumaural.
I will be using around the house, lounging and also using whilst drumming (this is where the isolation factor comes in. (for electric drums))
I like punchy bass, warm mids and highs that arent too sparkly. I love soundstage and depth and perception it brings to songs.
I listen to alternative music, mainly - massive attack, radiohead, grizzly bear, the cranberries, and some jazz compilations.
I dont own an amp at this current moment in space and time but I may purchase an E7 or something similar in the future (if necessary).
I will be driving from zuneHD and the TD9 sound module on my v-drums... (im not sure of its impedance from both the stereo 1/4 inch output and the 3.5mm output - may be different).

Many thanks in advance!

EDIT 21/06/2011:
Ive been looking at fostex t50rp, ath-m50
EDIT 22/06/2011:
Also the denon ah-d1100 and maybe even the d2000 if the bass isnt as much of a fart cannon as anyone makes out to be and i can aquire it more cheaply.
Ive also been looking at the ad900's (or a900 if bass isnt there enough), the k601's or k701's (not sure if adequate bass punch and quantity and i doubt these would be alright drived by zunehd even with a small amp e.g. e7), or hd600?

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 13
Denon AH-D1100 should be on your short list.

Awesome bass, great with rock and electronica.

Also cicumaural, but considered portable. You will not experience fatigue with them.

Some people complain about recessed mids, but it doesn't bother me. Soundstage and instrument separation is superb.

They don't need an amp, although people say they benefit from one. My iphone 3g drives them with volume at 50%.

You should definitely consider them.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:

Hi, yes I've already checked out your review, thanks!

hmmm, yes I've heard they may be, but then again I am looking for something slightly more fun sounding I guess.

Quote:
Denon AH-D1100 should be on your short list.

Awesome bass, great with rock and electronica.

Also cicumaural, but considered portable. You will not experience fatigue with them.

Some people complain about recessed mids, but it doesn't bother me. Soundstage and instrument separation is superb.

They don't need an amp, although people say they benefit from one. My iphone 3g drives them with volume at 50%.

You should definitely consider them.

I look into them, thanks for the suggestion. Do they have good isolation?
Anyone else had experience with these?

And has anyone else got any other suggestions? Many thanks.

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
subscribed, i also enjoy my a151 and am looking for some fullsized cans! 

Yeah, lets help eachother out here!

Quote:
From your preferences, "punchy bass, warm mids and highs that aren't too sparkly", the M50s seem like the best bet for you.

Ive heard these are great, also considering they're price tag but Ive also heard that they dont have as good a soundstage as some of my other suggestions, this is probably because they are closed, and I also fear they may be too bassy, I like punch, but not a lot of quantity, the A151 are great except I would enjoy a slight more quantity and punch but not as much as Ive heard the m50s give. You get me?

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 13
Think of it this way: if you're a neutralist (someone who loves a balanced sound), the M50's bass is just a tad bump. However, if you're a basshead, the M50's bass is lacking. A lot.

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 13
vote for HD598/M50
although the HD598 is kinda opposite of M50, M50 has more punch on bass but less decent on mids and sound stage compare to 598. 
598 in my opinion is the best overall hps un-amped in mid-fi level. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Havent decided between closed or open as I need something which would offer better isolation (all dependant on model of course).

EDIT 21/06/2011:
Ive been looking at fostex t50rp, ath-m50
EDIT 22/06/2011:
Also the denon ah-d1100 and maybe even the d2000 if the bass isnt as much of a fart cannon as anyone makes out to be and i can aquire it more cheaply.
Ive also been looking at the ad900's (or a900 if bass isnt there enough), the k601's or k701's (not sure if adequate bass punch and quantity and i doubt these would be alright drived by zunehd even with a small amp e.g. e7), or hd600?

Closed only. No "open", no "semi-open"--none of those will give you isolation. 
Say goodbye to the AD900, K601, K701 and HD600, because they're all getting kicked off your list.

Also rule out the open HD589 that BrucYSN recommended.

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Closed only. No "open", no "semi-open"--none of those will give you isolation. 
Say goodbye to the AD900, K601, K701 and HD600, because they're all getting kicked off your list.

Also rule out the open HD589 that BrucYSN recommended.

Hmmmm, Im willing to sacrifice this for soundstage though. Which is more important on my list. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back