Best HD800 Amp
Aug 18, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #571 of 654
The best amp for the HD800’s may be no amp. Directly driven from a dual Buffalo II may be an interesting proposition and food for thought.

One of my listening variants is the direct connection to the Bel Canto DAC2's line out (20 ohm output impedance), alternatively the McCormack UDP1's line out (220 ohm), via a 500-ohm potentiometer. It is an equal alternative to the Corda Symphony and the Mapletree Ear++.  

...Cannot prove this but my findings are roughly that improvements has taken place on probably 2 stages between serialnumbers 2000> and 6000>. Mine wich is nr.7366 is excellent with iPod Touch and have impressions that I need no support from amps.

I doubt the above scenario. Kurt's new HD 800 of the latest production run (don't know the serial number) out of the box sounded like mine (01559) out of the box – shriller and less refined than my broken-in pair.

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #572 of 654
Neptius: the products I compared it too are all made with high quality components by the most respected manufacturers on Head-fi. You are talking fluff. That your point of comparison is only very highly priced Rudistor gear says much.

Aug 19, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #573 of 654
neptius
popcorn.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #574 of 654
Currawong – I do not know what you want to say, absolute speculations, you mention about floof for something or you present total demagogy. I think I presented one reaction for your „issue“ BUT you NOT argue, you NOT present verification able facts, you only do personal attack. Present argumentation, write your idea clearly, this is the aim of head-fi, no one-sentence demagogy. When I said that Casea has excellent top quality components by the „most respected“ manufactures is simply said the characteristics of the approach used by producer which, I think, is absolutely right and expected. I personaly totaly do not want „musical“ device with „reputation“ but insight the box is miserable work, miserable components. Open Grado RA-1 amplifier and you will have health problems what is insight.

For you, when you own one of these CD players, the list is naturally not complete, open the box and see how are installed master clock, DAC and power supply. Do you know what you purchased, understand you what you obtained? If you see there Pierce oscillator there then you have three cases. First, sell this device inmediately, feel all is ok like id*****t, third, purchase serious complete DAC module to upgrade the sh******t insight.

The list:

[size=12pt]Denon DCD-700AE, Denon DCD-755, Denon DCD-1015, Denon DCD-2000AE, Denon DCD-700AE, Denon DCD-1650AR[/size]

[size=12pt]Sony CDP-XA7ES, Sony CDP-XA50ES, Sony CDP-XA30ES, Sony CDP-X202ES, Sony SCD-XA333ES, Sony CDP-X555ES, Sony CDP-XA5ES[/size]

[size=12pt]Marantz CD-17 mkII[/size]

[size=12pt]Vincent CD-S1.1, Vincent CD-S3, Vincent CD-S1[/size]

[size=12pt]Pioneer PD-S904, Cambridge Audio Azur 340C, Shanling CD-T100, Audio Azur 340C,[/size]
[size=12pt], C.E.C 2100, Advance Acoustic MCD-203[/size]
[size=12pt]Amber 3100, Philips CD 692, Technics SL-PA10[/size]
[size=11pt]Currawong – this is NOT floof, this is argumentation, facts about players. As I said, people do not understand what they purchase.[/size]

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #575 of 654
*re-hijacking the thread to discuss my options of AMPs)

So yesterday I got a mail from mr Meier himself with the following proposal:
CORDA SYMPHONY.2 silver + HD800 + shipping = EUR 1900,-

For someone living in Sweden and looking for a solid HD800 purchase, are there any good alternatives if you are looking to spend below 2.400 Euro?
From the discussions here I have become a bit sceptical to purchasing an DAC/AMP combo, but if the Corda Symphony .2 is good then why not get it!

Looking forward to some nice alternatives including regional (Europe) pricing!
redface.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #576 of 654
[size=11pt]Good alternative? I say you EXCELLENT alternative – HD 800 + Casea Lyra mk2 with DAC and you are down to 1,800 euro mark and this combination sounds amazingly, very beautifully. The best choice for you.[/size]

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #577 of 654
One mark, I know where you can purchase HD 800 with the price 750 euro – directly from distributor’s company. If you want excellent hybrid (tube and solid amp) with very good price and excellent performance (musicality) and price ratio, then this one:

http://www.canor-audio.com/en/Tube-Amplifier-products_tp10.php

The price is around 600 euro (without DAC). Excellent musical device. Reviews:

http://www.canor-audio.com/data/news_canor3.pdf

[size=12pt]"GOETHE i SLOWACKI" AUDIO, February 2010 [/size]
„It is a unique instrument with excellent resolution and art of building a soundstage, which is difficult to find for the money.  Nice and readable display is one of the most beautiful charms of CANOR beauty. The device is manufactured in the EU, such inscription is now a matter of pride.“

or

http://www.canor-audio.com/data/news_Canor_HT410.pdf

Reference Class Award for TP10 headphone
„Na gut, eine Röhre kann man auch als militanter Digitalmann verkraften. Was viel wichtiger ist: Der Canor TP10 hat mir über Musik und das Erleben dieser über den Kopfhörer Dinge gezeigt, die ich nicht vergessen werde. Tolles Ding.“
                                            Christian Rechenbach

No more words, perfect choice.

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #578 of 654
neptius: The evidence is on the web sites of any of the well-known manufacturers: Meier, Headamp, HeadRoom, Audio-gd and others. All you have posted about for the most part in the last week is the same thing, over and over again, about this manufacturer.  You are spamming the forum with it, please stop.

Aug 19, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #579 of 654
[size=11pt]Currawong – The evidence of quality is insight the device, NOT outside. Only the device sounds you, no web pages. Look what is insight the device, which components are used, see how it is installed, see pricetag and you will understand what I say. See again the pictures of Casea Lyra mk2 amp or DAC. See how much cable connections are in signal path. In very miserable products are used unshielded cables for signal transfer for very long distances. In Lyra in signal path per channel is at about 2cm. When you know minimal knowledge about things you understand what it means. So this is the argumentation, no empty demagogy. As you said stop something, I say to, stop spamming with demagogy ... :)[/size]

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #580 of 654
I would daresay that the amplifier circuit design has a greater impact on the performance and sound of an amp than the "audiophile" components chosen. AMB's Beta22 recommended list of parts consists of components that are high quality, but are not "audiophile" boutique parts, yet the resultant amp still performs very well. There is also nothing wrong with using unshielded wiring within an amp, as long as it is properly routed; if the wiring is a signal pair then twisting them together is also beneficial. I disagree that any distance within a single chassis can be considered "very long distance".

Aug 19, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #581 of 654
As much as I enjoy watching people argue with neptius, it would be great to hear the opinion on the board regarding the Corda Symphony .2

I know there is a lot of experience out there, gimme wisdom please!
smile.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #583 of 654
Radio_head – Yes, it is great idea. As more opinions here are, different sugestions, experience, wisdom, „best practices“, I think it is best for everybody. Best HD 800 amp not mean only „best quality“ or best performace amp, but best performance to price ratio device too. I think, only small group of people is able pay several thousand euro (dollars) for „best amp“, but most of head-fiers are VERY interested on very good device with well acceptable price, where the ratio is excellent. In this case you obtain perfect device and your wallet accept the investment, this says that you made „best purchase“. I think, this is the area where I presented a lot of issues.

Currawong, please try these own traditional well known devices and you will see that here in Central Europe we can produce excellent devices ...

Aug 19, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #584 of 654

Quote:
So yesterday I got a mail from mr Meier himself with the following proposal:
CORDA SYMPHONY.2 silver + HD800 + shipping = EUR 1900,-

For someone living in Sweden and looking for a solid HD800 purchase, are there any good alternatives if you are looking to spend below 2.400 Euro?
redface.gif

Maybe the Stagedac together with a Concerto, if you have the space. They should sound slightly better than the one box solution.
I liked JaZZ's Symphony a lot. That's why i ordered a Concerto. Very pleased with it.

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #585 of 654

Quote:
neptius: ....All you have posted about for the most part in the last week is the same thing, over and over again, about this manufacturer.  You are spamming the forum with it, please stop.

x2.  But I have been looking forward to reading this thread every day for a good laugh. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back