Best fun IEM <$200?
Jul 22, 2010 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ashtraz

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm looking for IEMs under 200 USD. I've read some threads here, so I'm considering buying either the Q-Jays, ER4P or Atrio M5.

I'm a casual listener looking basically for a fun IEM to listen to rock music (The Who, Os Mutantes etc.), aswell as Bob Dylan and also instrumental music like Yann Tiersen (mostly piano).

I used to have a Audio-Technica CK5.

I'm also considering to buy a DAC+AMP like Go Vibe Petite.

So I got a few questions:

1st - Which of these IEMs best fit to "my" sound sig? Any other suggestions?

2nd - Are they all OK with the Petite or another AMP+DAC is suggested?

I'm from Brazil so I would basically be looking to buy from ebay or another online store that ships to my location. Any suggestion on this?

Thanks in advance! I'm new to here but I always have a good time reading these forums.

edit: Forgot to mention, I will be using an iPad or a laptop.

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 14
After owning the ER-4P's for a while, I wouldn't classify them as "fun" earphones.  They sound great, but they're too analytical/dry sounding for me to classify them as "fun".  I found myself listening to details more then enjoying the music.  For an IEM to be "fun" for me, it has to sound great and make me forget about the earphone in my ear. I want to get lost in the music. 

I'd look for Sennheiser IE6's or IE7's, Monster Turbine Golds might be found for under $200, If you can wait for them to be available the Fischer Audio DBA-02's are supposed to be great for the money.  There are a bunch of great multi review threads available here that list the strengths and weaknesses of the models.  Oh and watch out for fakes on E-bay!!!

As for the amp... any quality earphone will sound better amped, but an amplifier can't polish a turd.. (if it sounds bad un-amped, don't expect a miracle when amped)  
ksc75smile.gif

Good luck in your search and Happy Listening...

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the replies so far!

I'm not considering the ER4Ps anymore, since they don't seem to be what I'm looking for.

I'm between the Atrio M5s and the Q-Jays. I'm now looking for the Senns IE6 and 7 but they seem to be a bit expensive (over 200).

About the MT Golds, I'm worried about the fakes (on ebay). Since I live in Brazil I would have to buy them overseas, is there any secure virtual store that ships here?

Also, what is the main difference between the M5s and the Q-Jays?

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 14
Atrio and qjays are both on the different spectrum of sound. One is neutral and bass shy whereas atrio is known fr its bass. I have a headache when i listen to atrio OTOH i wish qjays comes with a bit more of bass. But if i hv to pick, i go fr qjays fr the comfort and sq (w/o elaborating)......being bass shy, microphonic and fragility are the issues with qjays. As fr atrio, didnt own it but audition it and like said, i hv a headache fr its bass and the fit suck (at least fr me )

Jul 22, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 14
I love my um3x but they're not always fun. When I crave fun, I think Sennheiser IE7 or IE8. I loved both of them and wish I had them back. IE8 if you can find it, but IE7 is no sloucher...just an excellent, fun, warm, full iem. Go for IE7. You'll like it!

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 14
If you want tons of bass, I would go for the Sennheiser IE8 or the Atrio M5.

But the best set of headphones (especially for a "fun" sound sig.) under $200 is certainly the Radius DDM.
You can also go for the excellent Fischer Audio DBA-02, but that has a more neutral sound sig.

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #8 of 14
I had the Atrios and I really didn't like them. The bass is awesome, but unfortunately the mids and highs are terrible (no detail, muddy, recessed mids). There is a sharp spike at about 4Khz, which means that trumpets blast in your ears. The Atrios started giving me tinnitus, so I sold them.

I had the ER-6i, which is one or two models down from the ER-4P and they were great for listening to acoustic music, like Dylan's earlier stuff. However, it's true about the Etymotics lacking bass. They never really satisfied me with rock music, and they can't be classified as "fun".

One option is to go full-sized. I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 25 1 II cans, and they're great. Pretty good isolation, too. I got them on ebay for $193 shipped to South Korea. They are also not a "fun" headphone, but the sheer quality of the sound transcends that.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 14
@lxxsumi8 thats complete and utter spam please refrain from posting that sort of thing on the forums, your post has been reported.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #12 of 14
I'm really interested in the IE7s.. do you think these are fake?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Sennheiser-IE7-earphones-Ships-USA-/290448100830?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item43a00e4dde

And these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sennheiser-IE-7-Ear-Headphones-Red-Cross-Donation-/280530700090?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4150eec73a

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 14
[size=x-small]Delivery Includes [/size]
  1. [size=x-small]One pair IE7 earphones [/size]
  2. [size=x-small]Ear hooks[/size]
  3. [size=x-small]Rubber ear adapters[/size]
  4. [size=x-small]User manuals[/size]
  5. [size=x-small]NO BOX[/size]
  6. [size=x-small]NO CASE[/size]

[size=x-small]yeah senn decided it really should make some stuff cheaper so it sells sets with no box or case just for ebay.[/size]  i mean who really wants those crappy massively over engineered box and case anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back