Best full-size phones, with good looks, sound, and portability for under $100?
Jun 16, 2010 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

dartmouth

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy myself a set of 'phones I can use at home and on the go. What I'd like is good to great sound quality, good looks, and a decent price.

Here are a few ideas I've come up with:
Grado SR60i's
Panasonic RP-HTX7's
Audio-Technica SQ5's
Creative Aurvana Live!'s
Audio-Technica ATH-ES7

any other ideas are really appreciated and welcome!

Thanks, guys.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 65
The ES7's look awesome (post bend), but hurt like hell on the ears. They sound phenomenal though. Like a baby M50. For that, I'd just get an M50, as they are hella more comfy, but less portable.

I'm getting the CAL! soon (hopefully it atrrives tomorrow), and I question their portability, as they don't fold up in any way or form.

The SQ5 is considered vastly inferior to the ES7 in sound quality.

Might I recommend the JVC HA-S700? They are extremely portable, extremely lightweight, extremely comfortable, and extremely cheap? $25-30 is all you need. They don't look or feel cheap either (they look like Bose Around Ear, but built better and LOOKS better). They sound great, and all i needed was a Fiio E5 to bring them out their clarity a little more. They're the smallest circumaurals from what I hear. I loved them, but I gave them up for some ES7s. I miss their comfort, even if the ES7 is a lot more serious in sound.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 65
It just astonishes me that the ES7's can be so cheap. Hell, I can't even tell if these are knock-offs or not:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/OEM-headset-ATH-ES7-Portable-Headphones-for-mp3-tv-dvd_W0QQitemZ110536854295QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_MP3_Player_Accessories?hash=item19bc828b17

But apart from that, thanks for the reply :) I think I'm leaning to both the Grado's and the ES7's at the moment.. however, if you get a review of the CAL! soon, I might consider those.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 65
Sennheiser has some good options under $100.

I've got the old model Sennheiser PX-100s, and they are quite good for wearing out and about because they fold up small and are incredibly portable. Isolation isn't so good, though, so they suck on public transport. I've heard you can buy them for about $35.

The old PX-200s have poor sound quality in my opinion, but apparently the new PX-200 II is a cracking good headphone for the price and it is closed-backed, which means it isolates quite well. It could be a good option.

The Sennheiser HD238 Precision is a beautiful-looking headphone for around $75. My girlfriend has a pair and I listen to them quite a lot. They don't fold up like the PX-100s and PX-200s, but they are still quite small and light. My girlfriend carries hers in her handbag no problem. They are also open-backed, and tend to get drowned out a little on the subway.

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 65
Grado wouldn't be wise since you want to use them on the go as well. They leak sound like a mofo. I'd go straight to the ATH-M50 or Shure SRH840. What's your source? 

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 65
If an ebay seller admits in the TITLE that they are OEM, you know they're fakes.

Those fakes may look almost perfect, but I bet they don't sound that way.

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #11 of 65

Quote:
It just astonishes me that the ES7's can be so cheap. Hell, I can't even tell if these are knock-offs or not:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/OEM-headset-ATH-ES7-Portable-Headphones-for-mp3-tv-dvd_W0QQitemZ110536854295QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_MP3_Player_Accessories?hash=item19bc828b17

But apart from that, thanks for the reply :) I think I'm leaning to both the Grado's and the ES7's at the moment.. however, if you get a review of the CAL! soon, I might consider those.

Obviously fake. So many things wrong with it - pricing, the item description. Also check the buyer feedback - ridiculously bad. Buyer location as well is a hint. If you start to read some of the feedback..

Ugh, I wouldn't be surprised if most if not ALL of what that Ebayer is selling is fake.

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 65

Quote:

ONLY buy them fro authorized dealers, or you're pretty much guaranteed to buy a fake one. Beach Camera has refurbs for $55, which is where I got mine. They're authorized.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 65
Oh, and yeah, those are almost definitely fakes.

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 65
I'm not too good with ebay, folks :frowning2:

I think I just might jump on the ones from Beach Camera.. although they don't take PayPal and I'm only a 18 university student so there goes my chances of getting a credit card :/

EDIT: Beach Camera only ships to the States. Anybody got a cheap pair in Canada? :/

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #15 of 65
Alas, good prices on headphones in Canada are limited to a handful of brands, and AT isn't one of them.

Best recommendation:  Be patient, find a few models you are interested in, and keep an eye on the used forums.  Always some great deals to be had on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back