Best for death/folk/thrash metal? MS1i, SR80i or Senn Equivalent?
Jun 21, 2011 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Wolham

New Head-Fier
I know there are a lot of threads comparing MS1i and SR80i already, but my brief search yielded no answer out of my perspective; whichever is best for the more extreme metal genres? I mainly listen to death, folk, thrash, black and all the inbetweens. I will most likely also use my headphones for gaming, but that is not a main priority. Sample songs: Vital Remains - Dechristianize, Defeated Sanity - Consumed By Repugnance, Wintersun - Death and the Healing, Immortal - One By One.

As far as I've read up, MS1 has better mid range while SR80 has better bass and highs. Also, SR80 is more aggressive than MS1. This however basically tells me nothing, as the only good pair of headphones I've ever owned was (is) a pair of HD465 (Sennheiser, accidentially stomped them and now have reduced volume on one can after repairs). Important to note is that MS1i can be bought for 100$ with free shipping from US, whilst SR80i seems to cost the double (190$) in Swedish stores (hate our tech prices!). Furthermore, cans like HD485's also seem great, being an upgrade to my HD465, but HD485 specifically are unfortunately out of production!

Can SR80i's be obtained more cheaply over here? Whichever should I go for? Should I even perhaps go for an equivalent pair of Sennheisers instead, and if such, what currently produced pair is equivalent? 

I'll be very greatful to any attempts to make me wiser in this question, and I know you guys possess that wisdom! :)

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 54
I'd probably get ms1i's they are actually better than sr-80i's since they are supposed to eb based on the sr-125i's.

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 54
im curious on this myself. i ordered the alessandro ms1 for those specific reasons. i will get back to you on how good they are for those genres when they arrive. anyone else have any thoughts?

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 54
Quote:
I'd probably get ms1i's they are actually better than sr-80i's since they are supposed to eb based on the sr-125i's.

This I already knew :p I wouldn't necessarily say better though; rather, I'd say different. As I stated, MS1 is supposed to be more laid back and less aggressive, and I guess that would be less beneficient for eg. thrash metal, whilst folk metal would benefit from it? I don't really know, just taking guesses here.
Quote:
im curious on this myself. i ordered the alessandro ms1 for those specific reasons. i will get back to you on how good they are for those genres when they arrive. anyone else have any thoughts?

Thank you very much, I await your reply with eagerness! Any idea when they will arrive?

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 54
I would say to go with a Grado or an Ultrasone. Many of the Senns are too slow and laid back for metal, and they need an amp. My old SR80 was great for metal, but it lacked soundstage for my more atmospheric stuff. Nothing you've listed will be crippled by the Grado soundstage, and with dolby they make decent gaming phones.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 54
MohawkUS;
Okay, so no Sennheiser. I guess you don't know between MS1i and SR80i?

Alghazanth;
Maximum budget is 125 $, including transportation to Sweden. I refuse to buy a pair of 120$ headphones with shipping cost 40$. This is why MS1i seemed so handy.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #8 of 54

Quote:
MohawkUS;
Okay, so no Sennheiser. I guess you don't know between MS1i and SR80i?

Alghazanth;
Maximum budget is 125 $, including transportation to Sweden. I refuse to buy a pair of 120$ headphones with shipping cost 40$. This is why MS1i seemed so handy.

Well with that total budget I guess the only real thing you can get are the Grados or Allesandros. I assume the MS1i is better.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #10 of 54
I bought a pair of MS1 to use with Rock and Metal and I sold them after one month. They're not as special as many people state, imo. I don't understand where all these claims of "great mids" come from. I actually preferred my Koss Porta Pro to them: a bit less detail, but smoother and more pleasing sound for 1/4 of the MS1 price.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 54

Quote:
Assumptions I can do well by myself. I'll just wait for BCasey25Raptor to leave his/her final verdict on the matter ^^

it might be a few weeks. i don't know how long shipping to canada is.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 54
Should be faster than to Sweden, as they ship from US? o.o

And no, I'm not buying ****ing breaking-after-two-days-or-one-if-you-stare-too-much-at-them koss headphones.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #14 of 54

Quote:
Should be faster than to Sweden, as they ship from US? o.o

And no, I'm not buying ****ing breaking-after-two-days-or-one-if-you-stare-too-much-at-them koss headphones.

ya i did economy shipping though so it could take a long time.

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #15 of 54

Quote:
I know there are a lot of threads comparing MS1i and SR80i already, but my brief search yielded no answer out of my perspective; whichever is best for the more extreme metal genres? I mainly listen to death, folk, thrash, black and all the inbetweens. I will most likely also use my headphones for gaming, but that is not a main priority. Sample songs: Vital Remains - Dechristianize, Defeated Sanity - Consumed By Repugnance, Wintersun - Death and the Healing, Immortal - One By One.

As far as I've read up, MS1 has better mid range while SR80 has better bass and highs. Also, SR80 is more aggressive than MS1. This however basically tells me nothing, as the only good pair of headphones I've ever owned was (is) a pair of HD465 (Sennheiser, accidentially stomped them and now have reduced volume on one can after repairs). Important to note is that MS1i can be bought for 100$ with free shipping from US, whilst SR80i seems to cost the double (190$) in Swedish stores (hate our tech prices!). Furthermore, cans like HD485's also seem great, being an upgrade to my HD465, but HD485 specifically are unfortunately out of production!

Can SR80i's be obtained more cheaply over here? Whichever should I go for? Should I even perhaps go for an equivalent pair of Sennheisers instead, and if such, what currently produced pair is equivalent? 

I'll be very greatful to any attempts to make me wiser in this question, and I know you guys possess that wisdom! :)

A man after my own heart lol. I was JUST listening to "Beautiful Death" by Wintersun. I listen to black metal as a joke although the Demonaz albums are pretty good to me.

The MS1 is built better. I have a friend on here that I keep close contact to here and I introduced him to Grados and he still told me the MS2's are really bright and forward and not at all neutral or really for analytical listening even if they're made that way so I doubt the difference is more than very subtle. Also it's probably the only way for our European brothers to get a hold of them. Just buy whatever is a good deal but the MS1 has all the upgrades that the SR125 has. I like the lettering on the Allies too.

Here are his cans:

If you listen to black metal, there isn't a whole lot of bass in the first place that stands out. It's not really the most dynamic or punchy form of metal due to the production. No sennheiser can match the low end Grados. Thats why it was really popular for people to own like HD600's and get an SR-80 to supplement them. It's not the "quality", it's the sound signature which is apparent even in the lowest end models. Sennheiser varies from can to can, but Grado has been making pretty much the same headphone save for the professional ones for the last few decades. Sennheiser sound sluggish for really brutal metal. They're for relaxing to, which a lot of audiophiles generally do with their hobby, Grados are basically attack mode even though they're made by old guys and their RS-1s are made out of wood and their company manufactures phonograph cartridges. I always find that so amusing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back