Best "dark" sounding high end headphone?
Jan 4, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #16 of 88
I second @King CATalyst on the rec of the AudioQuest NightOwl or NightHawk Carbons (or Wood, if you fancy those and can snag them). Some have described them as inherently dark, I'm certainly not one of them. If you vibe with those pairs, like I do, then you've saved yourself a whole LOT of money.

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #17 of 88
How much experience do you have with the Z1R's? I have a pair sitting right next to me, and I would not describe them as a "bass cannon." In my opinion, the bass is not nearly as overpowering as something like a Fostex TH-X00. The Z1R's are dark, but not overpoweringly so.

I was thinking the Z1R would actually be a decent option for the OP.
I went to a show and heard at least a dozen different headphones, among them the Z1R, T1, LCD-X, HE-6, Clear, Utopia, HD800S, HD700, TH-600, Nighthawk, Nightowl, 99 Classic and a few others. Can't remember all the models numbers but there were Pioneer, Onkyo and Audio Technica, oh and B&W.

Having heard them all on the same day and with a variety of music, I was in an excellent position to tell which ones were bright, dark, too much bass, too little bass, harsh, spitty, boring etc.

I did check with the Sony, the Fostex, the Audioquest and the Meze to make sure that no EQ was being applied because I couldn't believe they were meant to sound like that but to my ears they did. Others will I'm sure have a different opinion. I don't know what those who think those headphones are not too bassy would make of an HD800 - personally I can't stand them, there is no bass.

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #18 of 88
Right answer is M̶o̶r̶m̶o̶n̶s̶ Ollo S4. It is exactly what op described. Sadly it is too affordable to be called high end. So op will have enough of money left to buy a comfy recliner and a good bottle of scoth which he'll need while relaxing with s4's.

But seriously, ollo has improved clarity over hd650, More bass than Nighthawk and less treble. Yet it somehow does not sound like being drowned in a well of mud.

Jan 12, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #19 of 88
I mainly listen to progressive old-school trance (like ATB, Paul van Dyk etc.) and 80's - 90's alternative rock (The Church, Type O Negative etc.) along with a few selected tracks from each of a very big range of artists in multiple genres...

I know where you are coming from. Very similar taste and HD600, then HD650 were my favourites for a long time.

AVOID:
- Sony MDR-Z1R (not dark by a long shot, IF your referenced is HD6X0). None of the Sony's are (except perhaps some vintages I have not heard)
- All Focals (horrible, piercing upper mids)
- All Ultrasone
- Most new/modern Beyerdynamics

Consider:
- Philips Fidelio X2 (fairly neutral, actually quite close to HD6X0 in many ways, it has sparkle, but in treble, not in the upper mids, not fatiguing)=
- LCD 2.2 pre-fazor / classic. It is very heavy though (why I sold mine)
- If you need/want closed, consider the Massdrop THX/TRX-models of Fostex 600-series.

Haven't heard ZMF (not available locally), but many say the voicing is more towards the darker direction.

And what I've learned with all of the above is that you can make even a non-fatiguing headphone quite unbearable with a bad selection of DAC and Amp.

I personally like AKM DACs over Sabres and technically properly done tubes over SS (there are exceptions of course), but that's a discussion for another forum.

Jan 14, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #20 of 88
Hi, i am interested in the responses as i have hd650 which i love but need a closed headphone (preferably easily driven by fiio x7) which has good isolation - i have tried the hd25 (didn't like the artificial nature of some vocals) and AKG K550 MK3 (very light bass).

I have a pair of oppo pm3 which are excellent but need another pair of closed headphones for portable and home use.

I have contemplated:

sennheiser momentum over-ears
meze 99 classics
shure 1540

but accordingly to the reviews i have read all suffer from too much bass - the hd650/oppo pm3 are about right for me in this respect.

Any ideas would be welcome.

david

Jan 14, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #21 of 88
9278406B-EA32-4C50-81B6-CAFC5523AA85.jpeg
78E62873-63C5-49F4-93C6-BFBCD8491E3A.jpeg
I been the owner of 3 Sennheiser HD800 and 3 Sennheiser HD650. The first HD800 I got new when it was released, but I got a 20 000 USD bill (was just about 20 years old now I'm over 30) so I returned it while barely listen to it... I had a demo in store like 4-5 years ago with the Asus Essence III 1700 USD headphone amp. So I get a used one with Asus Xonar STX 200-300 USD amp. I got disapointed... so I sold the headphones and the amp. Christmas 2017 I got the Essence III headphone amp later on a end sale. And got the HD800 to see if the amp made a difference. I would say it did... but I couldn't live with the sharp trebble.

I mainly listen to progressive old-school trance (like ATB, Paul van Dyk etc.) and 80's - 90's alternative rock (The Church, Type O Negative etc.) along with a few selected tracks from each of a very big range of artists in multiple genres..

But in general I prefer melancholic and dramatic music. Music with a soul... I prefer "John Martyn - The Man in the Station" ANYDAY over radio hits like "Ariana Grande - God is a woman". (however nothing wrong about women could be amazing)

I can somewhat relate my music taste with my taste of headphones... I don't want that "neutral" and flat sound... I want something with empathy and drama. I love Christofer Nolans movie Dunkirk... for that movie you need a lot of bass... but you don't want to compromise with the sound quality either... you want a high end hometheatre with a large cinema screen, you want electrostatic speakers and a great subwoofer. You get the idea I hope... It's a little like that when it comes my music taste.

Today I would likely buy HD650 rather than the HD800 if it had the same price. If I got HD800 for free I would sell it and get the HD650... Neither I'm a complete (b)asshead... My ex had Logitech speakers for 200 USD... They sound awful... I like something that sound really really good, and something similar but that is a step above HD650. Something that should be rated good and worth the money for most people with a similar taste like mine. I like something that is maybe more resolving but still got a very punchy bass and most important having the same/simliar "dark" sound like the HD650 got. Lets say I'm looking for the most "similar" sounding high end headphone to HD650... and the "dark" sound is one of most important aspects. It should not have to much trebble but I hate when voices/vocals are not clear like in many cases with some cheaper/portable headphones.

What would be the best option for me to demo you think? Based on my preferences? What you think I could like if I loved HD650, but not i.e. K701 or HD800... and want something really "high end" that is still a bang for the buck? Somewhat?

Budget is from 1500 USD all the way up to Hifiman Susvara.

Just read your post above. Interestingly (read the thread) everyone has their own idea of good as always. :)

My suggestion is don’t buy anything but use the suggestions here to help demo headphones. Also much of the confusion is the direct result of whole systems........( it’s not the headphone’s fault) as much of the time the amp can get a damping factor which will alleviate much of the distortion associated with peoples dissatisfaction with a particular headphone. What you have is folks under-powering a set of headphones and finding the lower midrange distortion happening. Looking for dark headphones or any headphones for that matter, is a playful balance. It’s the details which will either have you fall in love or want to keep trying other gear.

So unfortunately it’s whole systems which at times can get a darker headphone out of the woods, so to speak. Though there is maybe partial systems which will get a darker headphone to be used for long listening runs.

My genres of choice are Goa Trance 1993 to present, regular Trance and Electro. The Electro I listen to is listed as YouTube videos on my profile page.

https://www.head-fi.org/members/redcarmoose.105173/

One slightly controversial suggestion would be the Sony MDR-Z7. I picked up mine this year for $360 brand new. With the newer Z7MK2 release this year there are still old stock in boxes you can find at a low cost. $360 is a much better price for a new headphone which could float your boat than the over 2K Sony Z1R.

Also I was able to reach the sound I was after with the Sony MUC-B20SB1 Headphone Cable 4.4mm Pentaconn 3.5mm. The cable will fit both the Z7 and Z1R. It helps remedy some of the treble detail and generally smooths out everything along with increasing bass detail and texture. I’ve been at this headphone game a while, favoring the Denon AHD-7000 back in 2009; but I have to say, the MDR-Z7 when amped correctly is an EDM dream. It’s everything I could ever ask for in Trance reproduction.

You may even like the Z7 better than the Z1R, as it has an authoritative bass response that drives EDM home emotionally. The Z7 bass is more focused, where the Z1R is more like listening to bass in a room.

Remember too all this is totally subjective where no one opinion is wrong or right; as it all depends on what personal sound your after. Keep in mind people who have put the resources and effort and ended up with a darker toned system which they have chosen believe that they are not missing detail in any way. Though again, it’s a subjective opinion in the end.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #22 of 88
Yeah, just forget about Philips X2 - it's a very colored and distorted hp that got it's day as the FOTM once. But it really isn't that good. I fell for it, now I know better. Loads of bass @ 60hz doesn't make them comparable to HD600/650 etc.

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #23 of 88
One I would recommend looking into is the Modhouse Argon Mk 3... I much prefer it over the HD6XX being it has actual subbass impact and midbass punch with planar technicalities yet still similar in the highs and a very easy, non-fatiguing listen. Also, soundstage is larger than an HD6XX with very good imaging and a very interesting 3D spactial presentation even though it is a closed back. Simple one of the more unique headphones I've heard and one of the very few planars I actually like. I imagine it would be very hard to demo one unless you go to a headphone meet and someone has one though. It also isn't expensive either... just not sure how it would match up with an Asus Essence III.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #24 of 88
+1 with the Argon one of my favorite T50RP mods. I might add the ZMF Classic into the mix if you aren't planning on EQing to me it has a touch less bass than the Argon (still a ton) and a little sweeter treble. If EQ is on the table the Audeze LCD-2C might be what you are looking for as it handles it very well (can pretty much sound like whatever you want it to). All three might need a more powerful amp (not sure), if so the JDS Labs Atom at $99 would do fine with them.

Jan 19, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #25 of 88
I know it's not classed as high end but surely the AudioQuest Nighthawk takes the crown as the darkest sounding headphone ever?
I for one certainly think so.

Jan 22, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #26 of 88
Keep in mind that the LCD series are rather heavy(my LCD-2C's are over 500 grams) compares to the HD650. I own Meze 99 Classics, LCD-2C's. The Mezes sound fun with every music you throw on them. Yes they are a bit bass heavy but in a good way. LCD-2C's sound more balanced and they can easily produce sub-bass that Mezes don't. Quite different headphones to be honest. I'm planning to buy the Nightowls as well. I listened them about a year ago in local stereo shop and they sounded really different in a good way.

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #27 of 88
I know it's not classed as high end but surely the AudioQuest Nighthawk takes the crown as the darkest sounding headphone ever?
I for one certainly think so.

They are indeed dark sounding. To the OP - I love 90s trance, love early 00s tribal progressive and also modern electronic music (tech house, electro house, minimal etc.). The Nighthawks generally do quite well with slower, darker shades of electronic music (pretty good with modern flavors and also early 00s progressive house). Having said that - they do trip over themselves when it comes to the faster shades of the genre. In general they have a very strange sound signature...some dance tracks sound amazing, but it doesn't work with everything that you throw at them.

Although i love listening to electronic music with the Nighthawks...i think there are probably better suited headphones out there.

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #28 of 88
Actually, the Susvara is on the dark side. It really avoids digital glare and piercing highs no matter what music I toss at it or what volume level I listen with it.
And no EQ needed ever needed to avoid fatigue.
That's my personal definition of dark sound.

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #29 of 88
Audeze LCD-2C are the logical "upgrade" to the HD650s. They are heavy (in weight), but for the sound signature you're looking for, they are it. Do not buy anything without demo'ing first. If you cannot demo, buy them with a return guarantee. Read reviews, there are tons of them.

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #30 of 88
One I would recommend looking into is the Modhouse Argon Mk 3... I much prefer it over the HD6XX being it has actual subbass impact and midbass punch with planar technicalities yet still similar in the highs and a very easy, non-fatiguing listen. Also, soundstage is larger than an HD6XX with very good imaging and a very interesting 3D spactial presentation even though it is a closed back. Simple one of the more unique headphones I've heard and one of the very few planars I actually like. I imagine it would be very hard to demo one unless you go to a headphone meet and someone has one though. It also isn't expensive either... just not sure how it would match up with an Asus Essence III.
Does it sound clearer than MK2? I found MK2 to be a bit warm, covering up the mids on certain tracks, not as clear sounding for better transparency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back