Best "dark" sounding high end headphone?
May 7, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #76 of 88
Is the Radiance really darker than the MG though?
Yes.

The Radiance is the darkest headphone in Focal's line-up.

Very high on Sub Bass.

It's wonderful.

May 7, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #77 of 88
Ether 2 was the best sounding darker side of neutral headphone that I've come across. Very accurate, extended, dry and textured bass, with a nice midrange and subdued treble.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #78 of 88
Totally agree the Sony MDR-Z1R with Kimber is a really good choice! End-game darker tone, yet with spectacular resolution. Not obviously the most resolution but enough!
Yep, the Z1Rs really avoid glare and are what I would call dark. No fatigue. (Great for what used to be called digital glare.) Especially good at this (but still nice and insightful) with the Sony-Kimber cable if you can find one.
Another really good dark sound is the MDR-Z7. But takes some work on the front end to really get it dialed in.

I’m currently listening to Z7-Kimber-TA-AQCarbon USB-Cradle-WM1Z. Spectacular! Not as well rounded as the MDR-Z1R, but when it’s good it’s really, really good!

Phase Linearizer on
DSEE HX on
DSD Remaster on

28F975CD-F545-485B-B840-795830A1CA9E.jpeg

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #79 of 88
The perception really depends on what other types of headphones one has.
Amongst Staxes I own, the 007 Mk1 is definitely quite dark and maybe a bit V-shaped. Has plenty of bass for sure
Sorry but few people have several Stax - nor does the originator. 007 Mk1 may well have a lot of bass compared to your other Stax but it does not compared to the Voce or say my HE-500 (modded to be closer to an ideal Q (I.E. faster), never mind some of the deeper planars.

As for being hyper detailed - let's go with sibilant. Upper mids up is colored bright compared to acoustic recordings of symphonies and quartets. Voce and HD-600 much closer to the truth tonally.

Lots of people agree with u - they think detail is accuracy. One aspect for sure but after some time the marzipan icing on everything gets too saccharine. Quad ESLs do not do it. Duettas do. Those low end Martin-Logans in Best Buy do it in spades. Martin-Logan CLS II Z do not but they fall off big after 16k.... The 007 and 009 are staggering on what they do - but a Voce on a HFM Jr and Yggy tells more musical truth than any other headphone ive heard.
a bit of elevation around 60Hz.
But personally I can get used to a brighter sound, as long as it is not offensive (so it's not necessarily just a question of dark or bright).

The 007 Mk1 is not offensive in any way, and I don't get the hyper-detailed comment either. It is very detailed, yes, but very subdued and somewhat soft
I like ribbons (speakers or teeeters) best for frequencies over 3k with estats a close second. I bought my first Maggie in '78, heard my first estat in 1965, and bought my only full ribbon in '85 - yes 007 softer than say Beyers, doesn't mean it's not over detailed. 007 is the best I've heard from them but it's too crystalline over time for me.

Simple disagreement. I wish I had a fistfull of Stax.

May 11, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #80 of 88
Sendy Peacock
LCD4Z
Meze Emp
Focal MG
Dan Clark Voce
STAX Sigma

King of darkness "LCD-3 pre 2014"

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #81 of 88
I can not wait for the day, for a high aka price to ratio to the gullible buyers ($6000) darkness champion headphone that outshines all these boring monitor neutral bright headphones in the market today!

May 11, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #82 of 88
I did this to my HD800 and it was next to Hades level. It was beyond darkness LOL!

DSC_0297.JPG

May 11, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #83 of 88
Without a doubt, the Campfire Audio Cascade. It's tone is pure, delicious dark chocolate.

May 12, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #85 of 88
The perception really depends on what other types of headphones one has.
Amongst Staxes I own, the 007 Mk1 is definitely quite dark and maybe a bit V-shaped. Has plenty of bass for sure, a bit of elevation around 60Hz.
But personally I can get used to a brighter sound, as long as it is not offensive (so it's not necessarily just a question of dark or bright).

The 007 Mk1 is not offensive in any way, and I don't get the hyper-detailed comment either. It is very detailed, yes, but very subdued and somewhat soft which a person who is unfamiliar with e-stats described it as "planar-like". For me it is definitely resembles the HD650 sound a bit, but a lot quicker with much less veil and much better extension in the bass and treble. Getting the fit right is important.

https://overearmania.com/2019/02/03/stax-sr-007-mk1/

This is a really solid description of the sound, and I agree that it is "warm". Maybe not "very warm", but it can be depending on the recording, which aspects of the sound are emphasized.
Also I find that I listen at a lower volume level with a 007 Mk1 than some others, which can be brighter at lower volumes, becoming better balanced at higher volumes. So there is just a handful or factors which affect the perception.

Pretty much mirrors my experience with my MK1, which I still have. And not dark in a bad way at all, a very enjoyable presentation overall.

Above them, the Solitaire P is definitely on the warmer/darker side of things, but with great resolution, detail and bass. It's probably the best higher end "dark" headphone I've heard.

May 15, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #86 of 88
LCD-3 is the only dark headphone I like. They are great, though.
Someone said the Voce was dark - I don't see that - compared to the bright 007 and 009.

But LCD-3? Big hole in the upper mids, upper highs falling off - more than the LCD-2. The LCD 4 has some of that but sounds like music w/o an EQ.

Just get it over and EQ everything over 1800 Hz.

May 16, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #87 of 88
get a t1 gen 1 with solid state amp and listen to them for a week exclusively.......then your other headphones will sound dark :gs1000smile:

kidding aside, for dark headphones i like the zmf verite open (universe perforated lambskin pads)

May 16, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #88 of 88
get a t1 gen 1 with solid state amp and listen to them for a week exclusively.......then your other headphones will sound dark :gs1000smile:

kidding aside, for dark headphones i like the zmf verite open (universe perforated lambskin pads)
What's funny with the T1 Gen 3 on a warm tube amp or warm solid state for a week exclusively will make everything else sound bright. It's interesting how the T1 went from a bright headphone with the Gen 1 to one of the warmest and darkest flagships out there with the gen 3. But there was something special about the Gen 1's treble on a good system.

Personally love the Gen 3 but it's warmth and darkness gets to many. I have yet to hear a ZMF headphone, been meaning to for a while now but haven't had the chance yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back