Best "dark" sounding high end headphone?
Apr 1, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #47 of 88
The only thing that put me off buying a Hifiman headphone is some of the things i've read about their build quality. I certainly can't complain about the build quality of the Fostex TH500RP, in fact i'm just as much impressed with it's build quality as I am with it's sound. I got my TH500RP for $380 USD from Amazon UK. IMO that's a ridiculously low price for such a headphone.

I hear these stories but never have seen a failed HFM myself. Have a 9 year old H5LE, 5 year old HE-500, 2 year old HEX V2, 2 year old MD 4XX. A good friend has a 8 year old HE-6 in prime shape. My concern with them is buying them new and getting nailed price wise by the frequent release schedule - which I only buy them used.

I bought my FH500RP 25 months ago for $279 factory refurb. It's got a lot of plastic parts. Fit and finish is good. The radiating surface is small. The mids are pleasing and have decent definition. The bass has issues (no low bass, lack of impact, not enough output compared to the mids), the treble (grainy, lacking subtle details, reticent).- its an inverted V shape sound, and it is never annoying. There are cans that do not annoy but capture much more of the music than the FH500RP. - in particular given the large budget of the originator. The FH500RP, HE-500 are simply not high end headphones. The HEX V2 is barely one, closer to the top of the mid-fi group.

Apr 1, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #48 of 88
I might add the built quality of the Alara is very good, as is comfort..

Alara? Havent heard it, but it looks like a lot of extra energy in the 4-5k range would tend to make it not dark. Please tell us more.

Apr 1, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #49 of 88
I hear these stories but never have seen a failed HFM myself. Have a 9 year old H5LE, 5 year old HE-500, 2 year old HEX V2, 2 year old MD 4XX. A good friend has a 8 year old HE-6 in prime shape. My concern with them is buying them new and getting nailed price wise by the frequent release schedule - which I only buy them used.

I bought my FH500RP 25 months ago for $279 factory refurb. It's got a lot of plastic parts. Fit and finish is good. The radiating surface is small. The mids are pleasing and have decent definition. The bass has issues (no low bass, lack of impact, not enough output compared to the mids), the treble (grainy, lacking subtle details, reticent).- its an inverted V shape sound, and it is never annoying. There are cans that do not annoy but capture much more of the music than the FH500RP. - in particular given the large budget of the originator. The FH500RP, HE-500 are simply not high end headphones. The HEX V2 is barely one, closer to the top of the mid-fi group.

Just a question; i'm guessing you prefer planar headphones to dynamic one's?
TH500RP might not be as high-end as the HEX-V2 but it outperforms all the dynamic headphones i've heard in the $400 - $800 price category.

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #50 of 88
Dark compared to my HD800S, and my good old AKG K501 (it's all relative of course) it has more (sub) bass and the treble is less extended/detailed, but in no way as muffled as the Oppo PM3 which I found really dark, almost had no treble.. for me the Alara is a great 'fun' phone and
great while reading, since it doesn't throw details in my face like the HD800S. I guess the Alara is what I wished the HD650 to be

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #51 of 88
Just a question; i'm guessing you prefer planar headphones to dynamic one's?
TH500RP might not be as high-end as the HEX-V2 but it outperforms all the dynamic headphones i've heard in the $400 - $800 price category.

Well... I do prefer planars or stats true. I don't know too many of the dynamic choices in that range. The one that I do and own is the HD-600. The bass is quite similar - quick, good tone, lacking grunt. The mids also appear somewhat similar, except if you listen to a lot of piano, the lack of def and lower than expected output of the 500RP vs the slightly bright treble of the 600, doesn't quite give piano the right attack/decay as the 600. So I opt for the HD-600, must be around $300 new these days - so its a matter of taste. I'm told the 6XX has a good sound as well, but never have heard it.

20-25 months ago I would have agreed with you on the 500RP, but, lots of time with HE-500, HEX V2, HE-6, and even tastes of the Voce, Stax, MrSpeakers E1.1 Closed have turned me away a good bit.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #53 of 88
I wonder how would you describe Nighthawks..

Smooth, unadulterated, and naturally clear...if I had to pick three words. Comfortable (to wear) and enjoyable (to use) are a few more.

I like these so much that I wrote a full review about them on here a few years back (if interested). I probably used more superfluous words back then.

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #55 of 88
Right answer is M̶o̶r̶m̶o̶n̶s̶ Ollo S4. It is exactly what op described. Sadly it is too affordable to be called high end. So op will have enough of money left to buy a comfy recliner and a good bottle of scoth which he'll need while relaxing with s4's.

But seriously, ollo has improved clarity over hd650, More bass than Nighthawk and less treble. Yet it somehow does not sound like being drowned in a well of mud.
Which S4? the S4X or the S4R?
Thanks mate

Dec 16, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #57 of 88
I been the owner of 3 Sennheiser HD800 and 3 Sennheiser HD650. The first HD800 I got new when it was released, but I got a 20 000 USD bill (was just about 20 years old now I'm over 30) so I returned it while barely listen to it... I had a demo in store like 4-5 years ago with the Asus Essence III 1700 USD headphone amp. So I get a used one with Asus Xonar STX 200-300 USD amp. I got disapointed... so I sold the headphones and the amp. Christmas 2017 I got the Essence III headphone amp later on a end sale. And got the HD800 to see if the amp made a difference. I would say it did... but I couldn't live with the sharp trebble.

I mainly listen to progressive old-school trance (like ATB, Paul van Dyk etc.) and 80's - 90's alternative rock (The Church, Type O Negative etc.) along with a few selected tracks from each of a very big range of artists in multiple genres..

But in general I prefer melancholic and dramatic music. Music with a soul... I prefer "John Martyn - The Man in the Station" ANYDAY over radio hits like "Ariana Grande - God is a woman". (however nothing wrong about women could be amazing)

I can somewhat relate my music taste with my taste of headphones... I don't want that "neutral" and flat sound... I want something with empathy and drama. I love Christofer Nolans movie Dunkirk... for that movie you need a lot of bass... but you don't want to compromise with the sound quality either... you want a high end hometheatre with a large cinema screen, you want electrostatic speakers and a great subwoofer. You get the idea I hope... It's a little like that when it comes my music taste.

Today I would likely buy HD650 rather than the HD800 if it had the same price. If I got HD800 for free I would sell it and get the HD650... Neither I'm a complete (b)asshead... My ex had Logitech speakers for 200 USD... They sound awful... I like something that sound really really good, and something similar but that is a step above HD650. Something that should be rated good and worth the money for most people with a similar taste like mine. I like something that is maybe more resolving but still got a very punchy bass and most important having the same/simliar "dark" sound like the HD650 got. Lets say I'm looking for the most "similar" sounding high end headphone to HD650... and the "dark" sound is one of most important aspects. It should not have to much trebble but I hate when voices/vocals are not clear like in many cases with some cheaper/portable headphones.

What would be the best option for me to demo you think? Based on my preferences? What you think I could like if I loved HD650, but not i.e. K701 or HD800... and want something really "high end" that is still a bang for the buck? Somewhat?

Budget is from 1500 USD all the way up to Hifiman Susvara.
I would get a ZMF Verite Closed with Universe Suede pads. When paired with a good tube amp, it has very satisfying bass.

Dec 16, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #58 of 88
For those who like the HD650.. I recommend the Avantone Planar, they deliver excellent audio quality and great muscularity in the bass region.:wave:

Dec 17, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #59 of 88
Quite interesting to read what members consider dark. We definitely all hear differently. The darkest cans I've heard are the Nighthawk without doubt. The NightOwl is about as dark as I'd ever want to go. From what I've read, both the T1 and T5 3rd generation are quite dark as well.

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #60 of 88
My vote would be for the Z1R’s as well. I’ve tried a lot and they’re my absolute favourite dark sounding high end cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back