Best "dark" sounding high end headphone?
Apr 20, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #61 of 88
Yep, the Z1Rs really avoid glare and are what I would call dark. No fatigue. (Great for what used to be called digital glare.) Especially good at this (but still nice and insightful) with the Sony-Kimber cable if you can find one.

Apr 20, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #62 of 88
Quite interesting to read what members consider dark. We definitely all hear differently. The darkest cans I've heard are the Nighthawk without doubt. The NightOwl is about as dark as I'd ever want to go. From what I've read, both the T1 and T5 3rd generation are quite dark as well.
Had both and they weren’t just dark. They never really opened up for me. In comparison the HD650 could be considered neutral!

Apr 20, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #63 of 88
The NightOwl is warm/dark and is my all-time favorite headphone that I've ever heard. But I really prefer a warm sound.

I've heard that the ZMF Atticus and Beyerdynamic T5 3rd gen are good options in this area (especially since the NightOwl is no longer being made). There aren't too many that sound like this though.

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #64 of 88
Goodness.... All these people pushing LCD-2 variants with a potential 6k budget?.

The original LCD-4 (nee Z) only available used is perfect. Will need a very good Class A amp that can push 6 wpc at whatever ohms they are at. Sounds smooth and rich with more detail than one usually expects with the tuning.

Also the DCA Ether 2. Great accuate bass, very nice mids, somewhat reduced treble that can be put to better balance with parametric EQ - if desired.

Final D8000 - superb bass, great mids, treble a bit detuned.

Susvara. Patience could get one a open box that's really NIB for $3900.

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #65 of 88
Audeze LCD-2C are the logical "upgrade" to the HD650s. They are heavy (in weight), but for the sound signature you're looking for, they are it. Do not buy anything without demo'ing first. If you cannot demo, buy them with a return guarantee. Read reviews, there are tons of them.
Not given the stated budget. My modded HE-500 can wup any LCD-2 or 3 I ever heard - but it can't lay a glove on a LCD-4. Note: I like music not just stuff focused on bass.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #66 of 88
Probably the Verite is the most "high end" in terms of resolution and transient speed/dynamics. Maybe some Sony cans. Only thing else up there would be the SR-007.
Wait..... An SR-007 is dark? Besides the fact a top tier amp and the cans would leave the Susvara budget in the dust - they have no more bass than an 800 - maybe less. And the hyper detail over 1500 Hz never once struck me as dark.

If estats are on the list - the DCA Voce has much better bass than the 007 and great/excellent definition fitting the music not the frantic over detail of the 007. But the amp will break the budget

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #69 of 88
my vote goes to the LCD4z and the Stax007mk2

Apr 24, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #70 of 88
I'm a total newby here, and probably know about 1/20 of most of the other posters - so I'm going to pose this more as a question that a statement. I do own a HD 650 and have found that its sound can change pretty radically depending on what amp you pair it with. So, my question is if you are looking for a "darker" sound, why not pair the 650 with a tube amp? I ask because I also own a Darkvoice 336se with some upgraded tubes, and to my ears the sound is pretty thick/smooth/dark. (My assumption is that dark, smooth, rich, tubey are all basically synonyms for the same type of sound.)

So if you're looking for rich, dark sound, particularly if you are on a budget and willing to do some tube rolling, might this be a good alternative? And of course, if you've got a bigger budget I have no doubt that there are better amps and better headphones out there that could give you that "dark" sound, but if that's what you're after shouldn't the amp be part of the equation?

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #71 of 88
LCD-3 Pre fazor. Prince of darkness as it was once known as.

Stax SR007mk1 is neutral and the mk2 has a slight mid-bass bump. But not dark.

May 5, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #72 of 88
I'd agree with @Contrails with his LCD-3 Pre-fazor recommendation. In addition to that I'd suggest three of my own.

Focal Radiance - Definitely the darkest/warmest in Focal's line-up.
ZMF Atticus - Easily the darkest in ZMF's line-up. I really like dark leaning headphones and this was way too dark for me. I sold after two weeks of ownership.

Rosson RAD-0: Dark tuned - My Rosson RAD-0 is the neutral middle tuned option and it already leans very close to the LCD3 PF in bass tuning. I wouldn't call it dark but it's certainly not bright or neutral. Very warm. The Dark tuned variant takes the middle option and adds a lot more mid bass/sub bass and is the darkest planar i've ever heard.

May 5, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #73 of 88
Having owned a Stax 007 mk 1 (omega 2) I can confirm that there was nothing dark about them.

May 6, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #74 of 88
The perception really depends on what other types of headphones one has.
Amongst Staxes I own, the 007 Mk1 is definitely quite dark and maybe a bit V-shaped. Has plenty of bass for sure, a bit of elevation around 60Hz.
But personally I can get used to a brighter sound, as long as it is not offensive (so it's not necessarily just a question of dark or bright).

The 007 Mk1 is not offensive in any way, and I don't get the hyper-detailed comment either. It is very detailed, yes, but very subdued and somewhat soft which a person who is unfamiliar with e-stats described it as "planar-like". For me it is definitely resembles the HD650 sound a bit, but a lot quicker with much less veil and much better extension in the bass and treble. Getting the fit right is important.

https://overearmania.com/2019/02/03/stax-sr-007-mk1/

This is a really solid description of the sound, and I agree that it is "warm". Maybe not "very warm", but it can be depending on the recording, which aspects of the sound are emphasized.
Also I find that I listen at a lower volume level with a 007 Mk1 than some others, which can be brighter at lower volumes, becoming better balanced at higher volumes. So there is just a handful or factors which affect the perception.

May 7, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #75 of 88
I'd agree with @Contrails with his LCD-3 Pre-fazor recommendation. In addition to that I'd suggest three of my own.

Focal Radiance - Definitely the darkest/warmest in Focal's line-up.
ZMF Atticus - Easily the darkest in ZMF's line-up. I really like dark leaning headphones and this was way too dark for me. I sold after two weeks of ownership.

Rosson RAD-0: Dark tuned - My Rosson RAD-0 is the neutral middle tuned option and it already leans very close to the LCD3 PF in bass tuning. I wouldn't call it dark but it's certainly not bright or neutral. Very warm. The Dark tuned variant takes the middle option and adds a lot more mid bass/sub bass and is the darkest planar i've ever heard.
Is the Radiance really darker than the MG though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back