Best "dark" sounding high end headphone?
Jan 2, 2019 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88

A-Rebirth

New Head-Fier
I been the owner of 3 Sennheiser HD800 and 3 Sennheiser HD650. The first HD800 I got new when it was released, but I got a 20 000 USD bill (was just about 20 years old now I'm over 30) so I returned it while barely listen to it... I had a demo in store like 4-5 years ago with the Asus Essence III 1700 USD headphone amp. So I get a used one with Asus Xonar STX 200-300 USD amp. I got disapointed... so I sold the headphones and the amp. Christmas 2017 I got the Essence III headphone amp later on a end sale. And got the HD800 to see if the amp made a difference. I would say it did... but I couldn't live with the sharp trebble.

I mainly listen to progressive old-school trance (like ATB, Paul van Dyk etc.) and 80's - 90's alternative rock (The Church, Type O Negative etc.) along with a few selected tracks from each of a very big range of artists in multiple genres..

But in general I prefer melancholic and dramatic music. Music with a soul... I prefer "John Martyn - The Man in the Station" ANYDAY over radio hits like "Ariana Grande - God is a woman". (however nothing wrong about women could be amazing)

I can somewhat relate my music taste with my taste of headphones... I don't want that "neutral" and flat sound... I want something with empathy and drama. I love Christofer Nolans movie Dunkirk... for that movie you need a lot of bass... but you don't want to compromise with the sound quality either... you want a high end hometheatre with a large cinema screen, you want electrostatic speakers and a great subwoofer. You get the idea I hope... It's a little like that when it comes my music taste.

Today I would likely buy HD650 rather than the HD800 if it had the same price. If I got HD800 for free I would sell it and get the HD650... Neither I'm a complete (b)asshead... My ex had Logitech speakers for 200 USD... They sound awful... I like something that sound really really good, and something similar but that is a step above HD650. Something that should be rated good and worth the money for most people with a similar taste like mine. I like something that is maybe more resolving but still got a very punchy bass and most important having the same/simliar "dark" sound like the HD650 got. Lets say I'm looking for the most "similar" sounding high end headphone to HD650... and the "dark" sound is one of most important aspects. It should not have to much trebble but I hate when voices/vocals are not clear like in many cases with some cheaper/portable headphones.

What would be the best option for me to demo you think? Based on my preferences? What you think I could like if I loved HD650, but not i.e. K701 or HD800... and want something really "high end" that is still a bang for the buck? Somewhat?

Budget is from 1500 USD all the way up to Hifiman Susvara.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 88
The Sennheiser HD650 'scales' well, so you could just improve your DAC and especially the amplifier. Audeze headphones are often described as 'dark' sounding, although I have never heard one. Avoid Beyerdynamic headphones as these are often bright.

Jan 2, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 88
The Sennheiser HD650 'scales' well, so you could just improve your DAC and especially the amplifier. Audeze headphones are often described as 'dark' sounding, although I have never heard one. Avoid Beyerdynamic headphones as these are often bright.
LCD2C would fit the profile when it comes to the upper mids.

Jan 2, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 88
Audeze LCD-X is definitely on the darker side. You certainly could never call it bright.

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 88
Stax SR-007 is pretty dark but together with an amp it's gonna be a lot of money. I would honestly just try again with the HD650 or maybe something from Audeze. More to the point, I'd try to find a high-end store that carries headphones and listen for yourself.

Also, use an equalizer! There are lots of good, free EQ plugins that will let you tweak the sound to be what you want, and will fix any frequency response woes. Granted, EQ does degrade sound quality when it's overused, but why waste thousands swapping headphones chasing that perfect signature when a free tweak will do.

so says the man who constantly wastes thousands swapping headphones chasing that perfect sound signature

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 88
You need to look into ZMF headphones. I have the Eikons and they definitely are darker than the audio technica ath-a2000z I had before. The ZMF Atticus could also be interesting, they have more mid bass slam than the Eikons, but the Eikons have more sub bass. Both are closed back. For open backs you can go with ZMF Auteur or Aeolus.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 88
Sony mdr-z1r is supposed to be quite dark and some people love them others hate them. It's closed back and relatively easy to drive too. I'd suggest a pair nightowls though, i know you said you want something high end buuuttt I've been down the high end rabbit hole and it's honestly not worth spending the extra money for minor gains imho. I have my nightowls and i love them and i plan on getting a pair of lcd-x eventually and those will be the only pairs i need. Just my 2 cents though.

Jan 4, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 88
This sounds a lot like a pre-Fazor LCD-2 or LCD-2C. Very good bass without a too neutral tone. These are fun, dramatic and easy to listen for long.

Jan 4, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 88
I wouldn't describe the MDR-Z1R or NightOwl as 'dark' but rather as 'bass cannons'. The bass overpowers everything in these headphones. Same for Meze 99 Classic and Fostex TH-600. Reading the opening post again, I'm not sure that is what is required. It sounds to me more like balanced bass and midrange (perhaps a small bass emphasis) but easy on the treble.

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 88
Screenshot_20190104-030811_Chrome.jpg
from headfonia and they describe the nightowls well.

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #14 of 88
If you are interested in closed cans...ZMF Ori and don't look back.

Jan 4, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 88
I wouldn't describe the MDR-Z1R or NightOwl as 'dark' but rather as 'bass cannons'. The bass overpowers everything in these headphones.

How much experience do you have with the Z1R's? I have a pair sitting right next to me, and I would not describe them as a "bass cannon." In my opinion, the bass is not nearly as overpowering as something like a Fostex TH-X00. The Z1R's are dark, but not overpoweringly so.

I was thinking the Z1R would actually be a decent option for the OP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back