Best DAC under $200 ???
Jun 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #17 of 25
Awesome! I don't think you will be disappointed with it. I don't claim to have an ear for picking out a lot of things that a lot of people can on here while listening, but I could definitely tell a difference between the ODAC and my fiio E7's DAC and for me it was a huge improvement and I really like it. for me and my budget I don't think there was a better choice, plus I also had fun building the O2 amp and fitting the ODAC into it. I ordered mine last week and received it within 2-3 days, but that was the standalone board. If you are going for one with an enclosure, I believe there is still a short wait time on them. When you get it, be sure to let us all know what you think! There is a thread on brief ODAC impressions that several people including myself have already commented in. For the price though, I would think it would be hard to find anything better...but I have a very limited sampling of DAC's under my belt....

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:
Awesome! I don't think you will be disappointed with it. I don't claim to have an ear for picking out a lot of things that a lot of people can on here while listening, but I could definitely tell a difference between the ODAC and my fiio E7's DAC and for me it was a huge improvement and I really like it. for me and my budget I don't think there was a better choice, plus I also had fun building the O2 amp and fitting the ODAC into it. I ordered mine last week and received it within 2-3 days, but that was the standalone board. If you are going for one with an enclosure, I believe there is still a short wait time on them. When you get it, be sure to let us all know what you think! There is a thread on brief ODAC impressions that several people including myself have already commented in. For the price though, I would think it would be hard to find anything better...but I have a very limited sampling of DAC's under my belt....

thanks mate :) 
i thought of going for the standalone version (standalone enclosure) by JDSLabs. i like the look of their enclosure. and then ill be able to use different amps with it. and of course ill be ordering the O2 Amp as well. seems like a bargain for an AMP and DAC combo for less than $300. and i might avoid going for M50 and save some more bills to go for something like a D5000 hopefully.

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #19 of 25
No problem, I think they make a great combo! I also have the M50's and I like them a lot, I just ordered the D5000's also to see how I like them compared to the M50's the majority of people seem to say they are a huge upgrade. If you watch on Amazon, you can get the straight cable version new for around $120 used from their warehouse deals. I also think there are several pair for sale right now for less than $100 on head-fi's for sale trade...they are a great started phone, I am just getting into all this in the past few months and I love them, although there are plenty of people who don't care for them, but just as many who do like them a lot.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:
No problem, I think they make a great combo! I also have the M50's and I like them a lot, I just ordered the D5000's also to see how I like them compared to the M50's the majority of people seem to say they are a huge upgrade. If you watch on Amazon, you can get the straight cable version new for around $120 used from their warehouse deals. I also think there are several pair for sale right now for less than $100 on head-fi's for sale trade...they are a great started phone, I am just getting into all this in the past few months and I love them, although there are plenty of people who don't care for them, but just as many who do like them a lot.

i had a look at your profile and found out that you own both the m50 and ad700. how would you compare the sound between the two?

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:
i had a look at your profile and found out that you own both the m50 and ad700. how would you compare the sound between the two?

I really liked the AD700 when I first got them and the whole time I had the M50's on the way, I was questioning why I ordered the M50's because I was happy with the AD700's. When it was the only headphone I had and listened to, I really liked it a lot. Once I got the M50's and listened to them for a week or so and went back to the AD700's it felt like something was missing, especially in the lower end. But I liked the AD700's because they had great soundstage and when not comparing to another headphone, the base sounded good, although not boomy head shaking though like others, but it was there, just in a different way. I also tend to like a little brighter headphone and the mids and highs of the AD700's stood out pretty well to me and I liked that. But in the same way (and I think with most audio technicas) the M50s have that also. That made me debate on trying to find a higher end Audio Technica headphone before going to the denon d5000's which are on their way for me to test. But, I couldn't find a good pair of higher end AT's at a decent price, plus I thought I would try something outside of Audio Technica.

To compare them is a little hard because they are very different headphones with different styles and sounds. In my opinion, you cannot really compare one headphone to another because each has  it's own sound that takes a little while to get used to (because you have to get used to their sound rather than the sound of the primary headphone you have been listening to). So when I get (or barrow) a new pair I try to give it at least a full day or two at work listening to it before I pass judgement on them. If the AD700 was the only headphone I had, and had not gotten the M50's, I would still be happy with them, but now having the M50's and them being my primary headphone I prefer them over the AD700's. Whenever I go back to the AD700's I miss the M50's some. But again if I were to take my own advice, I would have to listen strictly to the AD700's for a day or two to get their true feel and sound back to where I wouldn't be comparing them to the M50's again.

The M50's are nice because they are more portable than the AD700's, but they are a closed back phone instead of an open back. I ended up getting both within a month or two of each other because they were both affordable and I could compare them that way. A local stereo shop also had the M50's which I tried there and liked quite a bit (this was even before I got the AD700's) but I wasn't ready to spend more than $100 on headphones yet, so I got the AD700's.

I will probably be selling the AD700's just because I don't want to have a mass of headphones and it's more money to go toward a new set of something else. I kind of hate to sell them because I really liked them for the two or so months that they were my primary headphone and being my first real set, I kind of hate to see them go...haha...but oh well...I will be doing the same with my E7 shortly since it has now been replaced with the O2/ODAC combo (although the fiio is much more portable). 

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #22 of 25
Also, if you listen to metal, the grados might be a good headphone your you too, they are supposed to sound good with rock and other fast paced music...I'm not for sure on this as I have never used them, but from what I hear they would be a good can to try...and if you don't like them, then put them up for sale on head-fi!

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:
   I really liked the AD700 when I first got them and the whole time I had the M50's on the way, I was questioning why I ordered the M50's because I was happy with the AD700's. When it was the only headphone I had and listened to, I really liked it a lot. Once I got the M50's and listened to them for a week or so and went back to the AD700's it felt like something was missing, especially in the lower end. But I liked the AD700's because they had great soundstage and when not comparing to another headphone, the base sounded good, although not boomy head shaking though like others, but it was there, just in a different way. I also tend to like a little brighter headphone and the mids and highs of the AD700's stood out pretty well to me and I liked that. But in the same way (and I think with most audio technicas) the M50s have that also. That made me debate on trying to find a higher end Audio Technica headphone before going to the denon d5000's which are on their way for me to test. But, I couldn't find a good pair of higher end AT's at a decent price, plus I thought I would try something outside of Audio Technica.

To compare them is a little hard because they are very different headphones with different styles and sounds. In my opinion, you cannot really compare one headphone to another because each has  it's own sound that takes a little while to get used to (because you have to get used to their sound rather than the sound of the primary headphone you have been listening to). So when I get (or barrow) a new pair I try to give it at least a full day or two at work listening to it before I pass judgement on them. If the AD700 was the only headphone I had, and had not gotten the M50's, I would still be happy with them, but now having the M50's and them being my primary headphone I prefer them over the AD700's. Whenever I go back to the AD700's I miss the M50's some. But again if I were to take my own advice, I would have to listen strictly to the AD700's for a day or two to get their true feel and sound back to where I wouldn't be comparing them to the M50's again.

The M50's are nice because they are more portable than the AD700's, but they are a closed back phone instead of an open back. I ended up getting both within a month or two of each other because they were both affordable and I could compare them that way. A local stereo shop also had the M50's which I tried there and liked quite a bit (this was even before I got the AD700's) but I wasn't ready to spend more than $100 on headphones yet, so I got the AD700's.

I will probably be selling the AD700's just because I don't want to have a mass of headphones and it's more money to go toward a new set of something else. I kind of hate to sell them because I really liked them for the two or so months that they were my primary headphone and being my first real set, I kind of hate to see them go...haha...but oh well...I will be doing the same with my E7 shortly since it has now been replaced with the O2/ODAC combo (although the fiio is much more portable). 

Quote:
Also, if you listen to metal, the grados might be a good headphone your you too, they are supposed to sound good with rock and other fast paced music...I'm not for sure on this as I have never used them, but from what I hear they would be a good can to try...and if you don't like them, then put them up for sale on head-fi!

Great stuff mate, thanks for all the advice. please dont forget to leave your opinion on the D5000s when you get them. everywhere i look, only see and gear good things about those 

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #24 of 25
Got the D5000's last week and I am really liking them, trying to spilt time between them and the AD900's I got last week also...both are very different sounding but I do like both quite a bit, I think I give the edge to the D5000 due to soudning better with more types of music....but the AD900's still sound great! Time to stop buying things for a little bit now! :p
Did you ever decide on getting any other headphones? Have you ordered your ODAC or O2 yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back