Best DAC+Amp For K701s under $200
Nov 13, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #16 of 81
agreed shop just for amps first. You could also figure in buying a cheapter and easier to drive headphones and then upgrade later.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #17 of 81
Awesome. Thanks guys
biggrin.gif

One last question: If I were to NEVER buy anything else, which one would sound better overall? an EMU0404, or my onboard sound + the Millet Hybrid?

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #19 of 81
I think a DAC/Amp combo would be the way to go, especially if you don't plan on buying a Dac for awhile after you get an amp. I have the Beresford TC-7510 myself, but both the Zhaolu D2.5C and the Zero get good reviews here. The Beresford has enough power to drive the K701s well.

I'd say that running digital out from my onboard soundcard to the Beresford DAC/Amp had a larger impact on the sound quality of the K701s than running analog out from my soundcard (X-Fi Xtreme Music) straight into a Little Dot Mk3 amp.

Of course, running a DAC into a dedicated amp is the ideal setup, but I would say that it is more important to start with a strong source (a decent DAC with built-in amp) than to amplify a poor source (your soundcard's analog output). In low/mid range head-fi, I find that amps tend to refine sound instead of drastically change it.

YMMV.

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #20 of 81
the k701 sound really bad straight out of the 0404. It is in no way up to the job of driving these headphones. The Millett, on the other hand, is stunning. What you really want is both of them, but barring that get the Millett and suffer through sound card audio. I do not envy your budget.

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #21 of 81
Little dot MK3 is a good amp for 701 at that price exclusive quality issue. Warm and detailed. BTW why you need a dac before a amp. should you get a amp first and then think about dac.

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #22 of 81
At 200$ thats gonna be rough with the 701s. Millett hybrid was a very good suggestion, that would be my suggestion also. However I found out that DACs do quite a bit of justice to an audio chain especially over onboard. You should do the millet hybrid first then put heavy consideration into buying a dac such as the emu or dacmagic soon thereafter if you want to truly enjoy your 701s.
Dave

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #24 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701s are very difficult to drive, as they are rather power hungry, even though they have low impedance ratings.

if you have K701s already, grab a good amp to start, and go for DAC later.

The 0404 will get you to midfi for both though, so I'd suggest that. Contrary to what some might claim, it -will- drive the k701 loud enough, even with music replaygained down to 89 dB.

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #25 of 81
I got my amp and hps first and fed them off a laptop dock. It was pretty good. I had an older dac I had forgotten about, put it in and was pleasantly suprised to hear immediate improvements in the sq.

If I can only have average volume with a better source, vs a strong amp with a so-so source, I'd go with the better source first. It will motivate you to get a nice tube amp to hear it with.

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #26 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Source first.

The 0404 will get you to midfi for both though, so I'd suggest that. Contrary to what some might claim, it -will- drive the k701 loud enough, even with music replaygained down to 89 dB.

Not really about being loud enough, an ipod can drive it to loud enough. Its about the SQ of the amping.

Dave

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #27 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really about being loud enough, an ipod can drive it to loud enough. Its about the SQ of the amping.

Dave

The claims to which I am referring are that the 0404 usb cannot produce sufficient volume to drive the k701. They resulted from a large number of early users using toslink rather than the usb connection - the 0404 defualts to 50% volume for toslink and 1/4" inputs when powered on, and requires a simple twist of the direct monitor knob to fix. This has been the most common complaint about the 0404's amplifier.

I am well aware that maximum volume is not the fullest measure of an amplifier's capabilities, but you would have to spend more than the total budget of $200 to get a noticably better quality desktop amplifier than the amp in the 0404, so it is mostly a moot point.

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #29 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno, id be interested in an M3, mini^3, or that TTVJ tube amp for the 701s, particular emphasis on the last. Could probably DIY a millett offering also in that range.

Dave

I have a normal mini3 - it isn't really a huge improvement over the 0404, if at all. The other DIY amps will require time to build to stay under $200, which isn't free. I have a Gilmore Lite which costs around $400 now, and the improvements it offers over the 0404's internal amp are subtle.

Because you seem to be missing my point, I'll restate it: The 0404 has a nice midfi dac. You happen to get a midfi amp in the bargain too, either of which is hard to beat for under $200 much less together (though some things like the zero et al may be fine contenders, I think the zhalou's are over $200 now - I haven't heard them).

Source first, which is why I'd suggest the 0404, or something like it, over any stand alone amplifiers. If one already has a good source, then one has no need for the 0404 in the first place.

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #30 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you would have to spend more than the total budget of $200 to get a noticably better quality desktop amplifier than the amp in the 0404, so it is mostly a moot point.

I respectfully disagree. I have owned more than one sub-$200 amp and directly compared them against the 0404's headphone amp with my fully burnt-in, Black Dragon-recabled K701s. All of these comparisons were over weeks using my own system in my home with my music, not a meet or with borrowed cans. The only reason i mention this is to emphasize how certain I am of what I heard.

There was no contest between the Millett Hybrid with Diamond buffers and the 0404.

The real benefit of the 0404 is its excellent DAC, and its multiple useful features. The headamp does no compete favorably with anything in its price range that I have tried with the K701s, save some portables.

The 0404 is definitely the better value, as you get so much more for the money, but in terms of pure sound quality I know of more than one desktop amp I personally find to be better-sounding with the K701 for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back