Best DAC+Amp For K701s under $200
Nov 20, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #61 of 81
Ok I tried to do a quick little test. I have a song called "river of bass" in flac and I turned my foobar equalizer to +20 db on 55hz and +10 db on 77hz so the bass would thump.

With the foobar volume at -25 db and the shanling at 10 out of 12 the bass is loud and the bass pedal itself will thump.

Using the built in amp from the citypulse, I have to turn it up all the way and then set the foobar volume to -15db to get the same listening volume out of the headphones.

If I leave the foobar volume at -15db then I only have to put the shanling between 6 and 7 to get the same volume as the citypulse maxed out. It was similar on both because its all bass so I decided to try another song lol.

I used the song "Panic Attack" by Dream Theater(in flac format) because it has lots of bass drum. The shanling gives it more punch/accuracy. It does not sound bad by any means with the citypulse though. It just doesn't have the oomph to keep up with the stand alone amp. I had to turn the foobar volume up a bit more also.

So the built in will drive it ok. The stand alone just drives it better and gives more pop/makes things tighter.

I have no idea how to compare the built in of the citypulse to other built in amps though. So I can't help you there.
confused_face(1).gif

Edit: this is with approx. 175 hours on the shanling+k701's and 110 hours on the citypulse.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #62 of 81
Now if you spend 200 on an used amp whose original value was say 450...
That would be a little different. Still the 701 would probably be the wrong match.
Try the PX100 or if you want to spend more, the DT880.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #63 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fliphaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, never in a millions years did I think (when I first got into this) that I'd be spending more on the source and amplification of the headphone, than the headphone itself
tongue.gif

Here I was, thinking that the headphones were the really big-budget item overall, and that I'd just be able to get by with maybe an 80 dollar sound card and a 60 dollar CMOY....

Damn was I wrong.

I think I'm going to go with the millet and see how it does, and then a little later down the road I'll scrape together hopefully 300-400 for a good source, but if after I have both of those things I'm not completely satisfied with the sound coming from my 701's, I'll consider selling them.

Blueyez, in a couple of months, when I have those things, and I decide to sell my cans, what do you think would be a good match for a millet hybrid and whatever the best DAC is for $400?

Well, I bought a set of 650's because they were notorious for a nice warm sound signature and smooth highs and because I was coming off the 701 and the 701 is the polar opposite. Having done this I realized I didn't want the piercing presentation (that a lot of people called detailed but I think the 650 has just as much or more detail). After spending time with the 650 I realized the smooth sound signature enabled me to listen for hours and hours and I never got fatigued, I am always ready for more. On the 701, 2 or 3 hours was my max. I also noticed with the 650 that I would forget I even had the damn things on my head because I was enjoying the music that much. I also want to say the 650 presentation is MUCH more natural than the 701, and that is my opinion. I know im hard on the 701 but I just think a headphone like that should sound natural and they don't. Ask yourself, when you listen to music live or on decent speakers the most prominent source of impact is from the bass department, the 650 presents music like that. Also its my opinion that female vocals and piano are soooo much nicer sounding on the 650. The thin bass and accentuation on the low highs on the 701 take the realism out of the bass fiddle and female vocals and piano. On the 650 the low mids are a tad over done, this however can be fixed with tube selection and or aftermarket cables. There wont be any 3 or 4 hundred hours of burn in waiting for the 650 to change into something you like, they will sound nice out of the box. Natural warm and linear with a small bass hump is the best way to describe the signature of the 650. Comfort, for me as I am blessed with a very large head was awful with the 701 and amazing with the 650, people with smaller heads should be fine either way.

As for a source, I use the Stello DA100 signature and it is very punchy and smooth. I haven't done a lot of looking in your price range but 4 come to mind. First the the Keces 131 with optical and coax. USB is convenient and cheaper but has limitations with high resolution file formats. If you only have USB and Coax and Optical are not available on your computer then Keces makes a 151 model that is USB. The second is the Channel Island Audio VDA-2, I have never seen a bad review of this dac. Last but not least the Stello DA100. The DA100 is a very nice upsampling dac and has all the features you could want. One feature I love is the ability to bypass the upsampling portion of the dac. When I listen to Billie Holiday's older recordings (far from what most consider a good recording) I use the upsampling and it smooths out the roughness of the brass section and hides the pops and clicks. If there is something newer that has been recorded properly then bypassing the upsampling is crucial, I was listening to Maxi Priest today and it sounded closed in, I switched off the upsampling and it sounded more crisp and dynamic. I can tell you optical on the DA100 sounds better than USB, sound stage is bigger and presentation is pushed back a tad.

You may want to look for an older high end dac on the cheap in the FS threads and on www.Audiogon.com.

Here is a perfect example, CIAUDIO dac and upgrade PS on audiogon http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....onv&1231437019

www.hifi500.com
KECES DA-131.1 SPDIF DAC, high definition sound! - eBay (item 150306946861 end time Nov-29-08 02:24:05 PST)
KECES DA-151, USB DAC never sounded so good on computer - eBay (item 150307893556 end time Dec-03-08 08:17:01 PST)
Channel Islands Audio

L3000.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #64 of 81
Thanks for the help
biggrin.gif

How does the EMU0404 stack up as a DAC-only against those?

If I bought a millet hybrid and an EMU0404, or that DA-151 USB DAC (I don't have optical) would that be enough to complete my setup?

Edit: What kind of amp were you using when you used the K701?

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #65 of 81
Quote:

Thanks for the help
biggrin.gif

How does the EMU0404 stack up as a DAC-only against those?

If I bought a millet hybrid and an EMU0404, or that DA-151 USB DAC (I don't have optical) would that be enough to complete my setup?

Edit: What kind of amp were you using when you used the K701?

Yes that would complete your system nicely, you know add-in audio cards and notebook have headphone jacks that can also be used for optical. but the 151 should work great. I used a VHP-2 and the Raptor to judge the 701. The Millet you looking at is very neat, it should have enough bawls to drive whatever headphones you choose. Are you going to contact any builders? im not sure if anyone is building them but wouldnt hurt to find out.

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #66 of 81
I imagine -=Germania=- would probably build one. I know she's building starving students, at least. It's worth asking Rockhopper, Thrice and MisterX if they would do it as well. Or just stalking the FS like most people do.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #67 of 81
I am in a similar position in that I have put a pair of 701's on my wish list for Christmas. I have built a PPAv2 with a Tread and a PIMETA with a Tread. I will be changing the power supply on the PPAv2 this weekend to try to squeeze that last 10 percent out of it. I have two concerns in regards to this thread on the 701s and others.

1. I have heard that the PPAv2 can be analytical and the 701s can be a bit top happy and bass shy, although not on the order of Grado's. I am wondering if the pair of them would be just to much. If not to much then I can take this opportunity to put a bass boost circuit on the thing to help out the 701s. Then the question becomes what values for the bass boost (there are different values, no?)

2. I understand that the M^3 is a little smoother up top and bigger down low so perhaps that is a better match with the 701's. I hear that Rockhopper does really nice deals on the M^3.

3. A lot of folks like the CKKIII for a lot of things. It is a good solid design with a good power supply built in.

In summary, I would think that any "two" stage amp with a voltage amplification section and a current amplification section would drive these things just fine. But perhaps the synergy is achieved when the amp inherently has a smoother top end and more robust bottom end. In that regard perhaps a tube or tube hybrid is the way to go. Or at least an amp with a bass boost.

In regard to a DAC, I would say screw the DAC for right now since it sounds like you want to get decent components and I don't see a way to get the both of them in this budget. A used Discman for 25 dollars, with a lineout, will get you better audio than most of the laptop's I have heard or just pick up an "alien" type DAC built around a PCM2702 used. That way you have already seen the depreciation of the DAC and you can sell it when you have some more beans for the same price as you have in it. Heck, you could do that with any quality amp too for that matter.

Or just do what another poster said and get a Zero DAC. Perhaps put a Moon HDAM in the headphone amp section and be done with it. Dunno much about this avenue. But I do know a lot of folks hate the internal amp but upon a cursory review it seems to have all the standard headphone amp components. I have yet to run across anyone who can actually say WHY the headphone amp is lacking just that it does.

Ok, I have lost my train of thought. Time to listen to some more music.
darthsmile.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #69 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mini Millet DIY Tube Amplifier - Default Store View

Plenty of power, you can roll tubes, compact, nice looking, and all for 200 smackers turn key. Half the price of the EF1 thingy at head-Direct.

Would the millet hybrid would be a better match than the M^3 for the k701s?

Just wanna be 100% certain, and if so, would that Starving student edition sound better than this one?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...hybrid-376223/

get back to me asap, vertigo has another guy interested, and I want to either buy it, or let him sell it to the other guy if I'm going to go with something else.

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #70 of 81
Quote:

Would the millet hybrid would be a better match than the M^3 for the k701s?

Just wanna be 100% certain, and if so, would that Starving student edition sound better than this one?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...hybrid-376223/

get back to me asap, vertigo has another guy interested, and I want to either buy it, or let him sell it to the other guy if I'm going to go with something else.

This is a better amp then the Starving student, go for it.

M^3 is nice but its fully SS, my vote is always going to lean to tubes. Change tubes and you have a different sounding amp for a few bucks. that is especially usefull if you buy some new cans. The M^3 has a bass boost only, different tubes can change the whole sound, top to bottom.

Matter of fact I found the magic tube for my amp and tried it for the first time tonight. WOW!

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #71 of 81
Best part is there are some nice tubes you can try with that amp and the suckers are cheap.

12AE6 / 12AE6A Twin Diode - Medium-Mu Triode
0) 12AE6

1 Pair $15) RCA NOS same construction
1) 12AE6A RCA branded GE NOS white printing 1960's
1) 12AE6A RCA NOS

1) 12AE6A GE NOS orange printing 1963 $5

2) 12AE6A Raytheon NOS $5 (not a matched pair)

2) 12AE6A Sylvania NOS $5 (not a matched pair)

1) 12AE6A Tungsol branded Raytheon NOS in Raytheon box $5

1) 12AE6A Tungsol no printing tests used/tests like new $3.50

The pair of RCA's would be my first choice, may put some meat on that thin sound from the 701.
wink_face.gif

www.tubeworld.com

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #72 of 81
Quote:

Oh yes I can
tongue.gif

You'd better not mention that until you want to participate in some military experiments as a guinea-pig
ph34r.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #73 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best part is there are some nice tubes you can try with that amp and the suckers are cheap.

12AE6 / 12AE6A Twin Diode - Medium-Mu Triode
0) 12AE6

1 Pair $15) RCA NOS same construction
1) 12AE6A RCA branded GE NOS white printing 1960's
1) 12AE6A RCA NOS

1) 12AE6A GE NOS orange printing 1963 $5

2) 12AE6A Raytheon NOS $5 (not a matched pair)

2) 12AE6A Sylvania NOS $5 (not a matched pair)

1) 12AE6A Tungsol branded Raytheon NOS in Raytheon box $5

1) 12AE6A Tungsol no printing tests used/tests like new $3.50

The pair of RCA's would be my first choice, may put some meat on that thin sound from the 701.
wink_face.gif

www.tubeworld.com

What are the best possible tubes I can get for under $50 I think I might get that starving student and just swap the tubes for some nicer ones. because the deal with vertigo acid looks like its going to fall through
frown.gif

Unless there is a better one on the FS forum, but I don't even know how to get there... this website is so cluttered (no offense intended)

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #75 of 81
Quote:

Whats up guys, simple question:

Whats the best DAC+Amp for the AKG K701s under or VERY close to $200. They're rated at 65ohms, and they like current (from what I hear)

I've heard a lot about the EMU0404, but i checked the stats and it only goes from 20-20,000hz? That would be somewhat limiting would it not? considering even on my lousy onboard computer audio, I can hear the the 5hz burn-in files I downloaded, all the way up to the 30,000hz ones.

Portability isn't a must, but it certainly helps (only if there is no compromise in audio quality)

Shanling PH100, and it that price (USD200) its a steal.. although it isnt portable..
EDIT.. Sorry it isnt a DAC..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back