Best DAC+Amp For K701s under $200
Nov 11, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fliphaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats up guys, simple question:

Whats the best DAC+Amp for the AKG K701s under or VERY close to $200. They're rated at 65ohms, and they like current (from what I hear)

I'm not sure about the DAC+amp, but I liked Millet hybrid under 200$ and there are couple on sale - on FS forums.

Quote:

I've heard a lot about the EMU0404, but i checked the stats and it only goes from 20-20,000hz? That would be somewhat limiting would it not? considering even on my lousy onboard computer audio, I can hear the the 5hz burn-in files I downloaded, all the way up to the 30,000hz ones.

you (or me, or humans in general) can't hear under 20hz and over 20000 hz.
Emu0404 is great, but their headphone amp isn't that great compared to dedicated amps

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a Zhaolu D2.5C and it was supposed to ship today. My K701's should be here Thursday. If you can wait 1-2 weeks I can let you know how it is. Its $200.

I can wait, And I do so eagerly
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure about the DAC+amp, but I liked Millet hybrid under 200$ and there are couple on sale - on FS forums.

Would it be better to just get a really good AMP and stay on crappy onboard computer audio? or would the sound quality be better with a midrange DAC and a midrange amp?

Quote:

you (or me, or humans in general) can't hear under 20hz and over 20000 hz.
Emu0404 is great, but their headphone amp isn't that great compared to dedicated amps

Oh yes I can
tongue.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 81
Quote:

Would it be better to just get a really good AMP and stay on crappy onboard computer audio? or would the sound quality be better with a midrange DAC and a midrange amp?

I wouldn't call EMU0404 as midrange DAC.. more like value-priced products, to be honest.

Quote:

Oh yes I can
tongue.gif

Sensitivity of Human Ear

no, you cannot, unless you managed to get a cochlear implant from a bat.

Nov 11, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 81
Quote:

I wouldn't call EMU0404 as midrange DAC.. more like value-priced products, to be honest.

Sensitivity of Human Ear

no, you cannot, unless you managed to get a cochlear implant from a bat.

Alright, well I don't have hundreds of billions of dollars to spend... I've got 200.

Should I stay on my lousy, popping, muffled onboard audio and put all my money into an amp? or should I get a DAC+Amp?

Nov 12, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 81
I'm in a similar situation (not as bad though as I at least have a mediocre external sound card). I have read a ton of threads on this forum and have decided to go with the emu0404 which can be had on ebay for $150 after live cash back.

Another alternative is the emu0202 which runs about $75. The negatives of it compared to the 0404 is that it is usb powered and has a slightly lower quality dac and amp. I think I will get the 0404 for the discrete power incase I want to use it later as a stand alone dac without going through usb.

With the 0202 you would have $125 left which could get you a cheap amp (maybe the little dot I+ on ebay also taking advantage of the live.com cash back)

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #10 of 81
K701s are very difficult to drive, as they are rather power hungry, even though they have low impedance ratings.

if you have K701s already, grab a good amp to start, and go for DAC later.

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 81
I didn't mention in the last post that I have a shanling ph100 amp on the way also. I will be able to compare the zhaolu built in amp to the shanling amp and tell you if the k701's are really missing anything. Nothing will be bunt in for the comparison though.
frown.gif

From everything I have read before I bought the K701's, its either all or nothing with them. Everyone that bought a good amp for low impedance headphones seems to enjoy them. Everyone that has HD600-650 or something like that seems to have just thrown the K701's on their tube amp meant for high impedance cans and doesn't like them(when they wouldn't have the power required to be good). I guess I'll know for myself in a few days. Then again I have never listened to HD580/600/650 through tubes either so I can't compare to those. I only have ad700's.

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #12 of 81
Thanks for your responses guys
biggrin.gif

I'm gonna wait for your review pyrie, but in the meantime, if you guys REALLY think I'd be better putting 200 towards an amp, and then getting a good DAC later on (most likely MUCH later for me) what Amps would you have in mind?

Again, portability is not an issue, I just want a really solid amp that will work well with my low impedance K701s.

1/4" inputs/outputs are a HUGE plus for me, but not absolutely necessary.

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #13 of 81
as I mentioned before, millet hybrid is true bang-for-buck at around 140~170$. It was very slightly below Bada ph-12 hybrid which I had (around 500$). Very, very good value for the money.

save up for Emu 0404 or Keces DA 151 or so. Also, rip ur files in FLAC.

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #14 of 81
Quote:

as I mentioned before, millet hybrid is true bang-for-buck at around 140~170$. It was very slightly below Bada ph-12 hybrid which I had (around 500$). Very, very good value for the money.

save up for Emu 0404 or Keces DA 151 or so. Also, rip ur files in FLAC.

Wait, you've got me all confused now... the EMU0404 was what I was planning on going with originally.... right?

Also, can you find a link to where I can even buy a millet hybrid? I can't find one anywhere... let alone one for $150-170.

And I'm straight up .Wav Man
biggrin.gif

If I could give you +rep or something I would, thanks for all your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back