Best DAC+Amp For K701s under $200
Nov 19, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #47 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your current source and what kind of music do you listen to?

onboard computer sound because my X-Fi recently broke down, and one of those big CD players my dad bought a while back, a Sony something. I'd say I listen to music on my computer much more though, which is why I was looking for some type of DAC/amp preferrably USB unless there is some sound quality issue with that.

And I really listen to a little bit of everything, from johnny cash to rammstein to bob marley and Darude, which is why I got the K701s. I heard they were great all-rounders, whereas sennheisers are more jazzy, Grados are more rock-centric, BDs are bassy etc.

If I had to pick one type of music though, I'd say ambient electronic type stuff and trance.

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #48 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fliphaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OT: Who is that in your avatar? he looks so hardcore.

That is McCoy Tyner wearing a pair of Stax Lambda signaures. He is so hardcore.

Quote:

But we've already bonded
frown.gif
I've already taken them out on picnics and shared my innermost secrets with them, I can't just sell them now

If you love them, keep them. A Millett and an Alien DAC will run you about $230, and you'll get phenomenal sound. Both are DIY, and both come up around here frequently. Watch the forums for a little while and get the jump on the next ones that pop up.

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #49 of 81
I would start here with the AT's because these will sound nice without an amp and them worry about an amp later.

AudioCubes.com - Audiophile, Hifi

khdiagrammhy2ox5.jpg

The A900Ti is a set I have been looking at for myself and a friend. It is warm like the 650 (Means it has some bass) and it will be quicker than the 650's (Good for your Electronic music) and they will work fine out of an ipod or sound card. You can always return them if you dont like them. Then you can worry about what to do with the 701s and an amp. Of course a better source and amp will make them sound even better but in the mean time they will make the best of what you have. The 701's will always be showing you the flaws in your system. If you can scrape then the cans for your Electronic music would be the ATH-AD2000, they are killer, amp or no amp.

http://www.warehouse123.com/ProductI...TATHA900TI-SLV <-- Make sure to read the reviews on the product page.

To make the 701s reach an acceptable level of performance then you would want something like these.

http://www.hifi500.com/shop/step1.php?number=590

http://www.hifi500.com/shop/step1.php?number=591

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #51 of 81
Haven't had the chance to hear the combo, tbh. I don't know why it would be bad, as i generally enjoy the travagans stuff, but that mini plug is offputting for a lot of people.

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #54 of 81
(looks at his $2000 speakers and his $200 integrated)

...hmmmmm.

You're right in theory, chairman, as usual, but we all have to start somewhere. If he truly loves the K701, then I maintain that the best path is to get the best amplification and source that his budget will allow, and then appreciate the upgrades when he can afford them. Selling the headphones he likes to fund a less-expensive combo will result in him selling that entire combo down the line for what he really wants.

Lots of folks look on here for a long time trying to find a headphone that suits them. Once you find it, stick with it.

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #55 of 81
Guess im biased because I had the 701s and even after spending 3 grand for components they just didn't do it for me. Sold them and added a 300 dollar cable to my 650s. I also cant understand the attraction to the 701 for so many people starting out. how many times have you seen a thread where someone wants to find a 200 dollar portable amp for 701's? I just feel that perpetuating that situation makes me indifferent and I wouldnt feel honest if I didnt point out the pitfalls of a system like that. The proper headphone with that 200 dollar amp will yeild much better results than a poorly driven 701. Flip side of that coin is it will make him want to upgrade for some time to come but the best path would be to bare with the 701s for now and save up for some components worthy of the 701 if keeping the 701 is a must. I know different people like different things but I do think I make valid points.

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #56 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know different people like different things but I do think I make valid points.

I agree with that, without reservations.

I happened to really enjoy the K701s -- enough to make them my go-to dynamic cans. I heard them out of a lot of really stellar amplification and some really great sources, and I felt my modest setup scaled well, though it clearly didn't take them to their potential.

If he already enjoys the fit and the sound signature of the K701, I feel that his upgrades will be very rewarding. You may very well disagree, and that's just fine.

For what it's worth, I'm no longer using that $200 integrated amp. It's been supplanted by a $3500 preamp-amp combo, and I'll never look back.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #58 of 81
Hmmm, never in a millions years did I think (when I first got into this) that I'd be spending more on the source and amplification of the headphone, than the headphone itself
tongue.gif

Here I was, thinking that the headphones were the really big-budget item overall, and that I'd just be able to get by with maybe an 80 dollar sound card and a 60 dollar CMOY....

Damn was I wrong.

I think I'm going to go with the millet and see how it does, and then a little later down the road I'll scrape together hopefully 300-400 for a good source, but if after I have both of those things I'm not completely satisfied with the sound coming from my 701's, I'll consider selling them.

Blueyez, in a couple of months, when I have those things, and I decide to sell my cans, what do you think would be a good match for a millet hybrid and whatever the best DAC is for $400?

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #59 of 81
Quote:

I can hear the the 5hz burn-in files I downloaded, all the way up to the 30,000hz ones.

There is no way I believe that claim for one second unless you are maybe a dog.
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #60 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think DAC onboard in computers will actually add hiss/noise.

Not hiss but EMI or ground loop hum, easily. In my experience, most internal soundcards suffer from some EMI. THat can be fixed with a dirt cheap USB DAC though so would still spend all of the $200.00 on an amp. I have an EMU 0404 and I can tell the amp is not enough for headphones like K701. It's fine with HD595 but just.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back