BEST Custom IEMs
Feb 16, 2012 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

SHAHZADA123

500+ Head-Fier
Please recommend based on your experience.

I have a pair of Gradp GR10s and love the synergy with the iPod>CLAS>RSA71B
Would like to try something similar but with Custom Fit.
My main criteria is that there should be no sibilance and brightness 

Not very finicky about all else.
Of course I'd like lush mids, taut bass, huge soundstage, good instrument separation, etc...
wink_face.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 31
My personal choice would be fitear/Suyama C435! I'm currently using it and to my ears, it is unparalleled in terms of instrumental separation and soundstage. The mids are also extremely smooth too! Although its not a bassy IEM!
Btw, I have compared it with UM merlin/mage, JH 16, ACS (cant remember which one though). 

However, its not easy to get a pair cause it is based in Japan! But since you asked for the BEST, this is the clear winner for me! Cheers!
wink_face.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 31
Thanks for the info.
Let me see if I can order these over the net

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:
My personal choice would be fitear/Suyama C435! I'm currently using it and to my ears, it is unparalleled in terms of instrumental separation and soundstage. The mids are also extremely smooth too! Although its not a bassy IEM!
Btw, I have compared it with UM merlin/mage, JH 16, ACS (cant remember which one though). 
However, its not easy to get a pair cause it is based in Japan! But since you asked for the BEST, this is the clear winner for me! Cheers!
wink_face.gif

Are the C435 still available? As I understand, Suyama FitEar stopped offering it, concentrating instead on the MH334, a 'mastering-grade' custom tuned by Japanese recording engineer, Mitsuharu Harada. I listened to the demo before, and while it wasn't my cup of tea, the Private 333 demo was very good. They also have a pro audio lineup with some five-driver models, but I think it's not offered to the general public, not sure.

From my experience with the JH16 demo, it's a very fun-sounding custom. I quite enjoyed it, even though I normally don't like U-shaped FRs. The JH13 demo I heard was also pretty much devoid of sibilance and had some of the best instrumental separation I've ever heard in any headphone, small or large, but had more bass than I'd hoped for (Jerry Harvey likes his bass, so even his most neutral product is bassier than perfectly neutral).

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 31
Yup! The C435 is still available! I just received it 2 weeks ago. I didnt try the MH334 though! But the Fitear sound signature is quite different from the rest of the customs! And thats something that still amazes me till today!:)
And I do agree with what you say about JH16! Its fun, energetic and does pack a punch! 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Are the C435 still available? As I understand, Suyama FitEar stopped offering it, concentrating instead on the MH334, a 'mastering-grade' custom tuned by Japanese recording engineer, Mitsuharu Harada. I listened to the demo before, and while it wasn't my cup of tea, the Private 333 demo was very good. They also have a pro audio lineup with some five-driver models, but I think it's not offered to the general public, not sure.

From my experience with the JH16 demo, it's a very fun-sounding custom. I quite enjoyed it, even though I normally don't like U-shaped FRs. The JH13 demo I heard was also pretty much devoid of sibilance and had some of the best instrumental separation I've ever heard in any headphone, small or large, but had more bass than I'd hoped for (Jerry Harvey likes his bass, so even his most neutral product is bassier than perfectly neutral).

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:
Yup! The C435 is still available! I just received it 2 weeks ago. I didnt try the MH334 though! But the Fitear sound signature is quite different from the rest of the customs! And thats something that still amazes me till today!:)
And I do agree with what you say about JH16! Its fun, energetic and does pack a punch! 
beerchug.gif

Oh wow! What's the overall sound signature like?

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 31

Quote:
Oh wow! What's the overall sound signature like?

I'm not sure how to really describe the sound signature of it.. I would give it a try though! To put it simply, it has a broad sound stage with excellent depth and at the same time sounds very airy. I feel that other customs like JH etc felt "dark" beside it. However it is not bright at all. Which makes me scratch my head! It just has that perfect sense of space that you can almost feel and imagine. It has slightly forward mids and highs but at the same time the vocals are not as intimate and "close" to your ears like in most IEMs. 

This is probably why some people say the C435 is veiled.. I did have that impression initially but as I get used to it, I feel that it is just because the instruments sound closer to you in comparison to the vocals. Its like imagining an orchestra surrounding you and then having the singer behind the orchestra singing. It reminds me of when Im sitting in a concert hall and listening to a performance. I can almost hear the voice travelling through air to reach your ears and so there is a slight "echo" of the words being sung. 

Its bass is very impactful and controlled but not excessive. So this is not something I would recommend to bassheads or people who are very used to the JH16's sig. But for me it is perfect and at the right quantity!

Lastly, the separation is something which truly got me hooked. There is a clear sense of space to let you identify the exact location of each instrument. Sometimes I even feel that the instruments are place above/below me at a distance and the sound is travelling downwards or upwards. Each instrument itself has its own "resonance" that makes it sound very real to me. Its like I can hear the "trill" on the violin strings or the flutes. 

Yup! This is how I would describe it! The thing I can say about it is that it really is very different!:)

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #8 of 31

Quote:
Please recommend based on your experience.

I have a pair of Gradp GR10s and love the synergy with the iPod>CLAS>RSA71B
Would like to try something similar but with Custom Fit.
My main criteria is that there should be no sibilance and brightness 

Not very finicky about all else.
Of course I'd like lush mids, taut bass, huge soundstage, good instrument separation, etc...
wink_face.gif

A few options include the Beat Audio i9pro, Starkey SA-43, and Earsonics EM6.  You can read my reviews here with links to full reviews that include comparisons, although I reviewed the EM4 and not the EM6.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:
A few options include the Beat Audio i9pro, Starkey SA-43, and Earsonics EM6.  You can read my reviews here with links to full reviews that include comparisons, although I reviewed the EM4 and not the EM6.

Hey Joe, any plans to add Suyama FitEar to your review queue? I think they are really impressive and unique. They are a bit pricey, though.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 31

Quote:
Hey Joe, any plans to add Suyama FitEar to your review queue? I think they are really impressive and unique. They are a bit pricey, though.

FitEar products are on my list, but I have many reviews to do before anything from them...

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 31
Thanks guys.
Quite a few options to explore now.
Will do some research over the weekend

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #13 of 31
At the present time, no other CIEM is doing better than the C435 for Classical since two years ?? Surprising looking at how technology goes ahead !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back