Best custom cable for Westone 4R for under $160?
Oct 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #31 of 50

Wire gauge is a measure of thickness, the lower the number the thicker the wire, OCC is Ohno Continuous Cast which is the best type of copper.

Personally I wouldn't 24 gauge for an IEM as it is heavier and less flexible than the standard 26, and you will pay more for the inconvence

that really depends cyro treated cables can have excellent flexibility, the dhc sybiote cables are 24awg and from what ive read they have excellent flexability from cyro treatment. i will let you know wghen i get mine on friday. ive owned cables for the se535 down to 22awg solid core multi stranded pure silver, it wasnt all that bad flexability meh not so much.. but sound was amazing
  So which option is "PURE" silver?

What do you mean?

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #32 of 50
  that really depends cyro treated cables can have excellent flexibility, the dhc sybiote cables are 24awg and from what ive read they have excellent flexability from cyro treatment. i will let you know wghen i get mine on friday. ive owned cables for the se535 down to 22awg solid core multi stranded pure silver, it wasnt all that bad flexability meh not so much.. but sound was amazing

I guess you don't move very quickly, if at all, while wearing your IEMs - solid core 22awg?
eek.gif

Oct 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #36 of 50
What do you mean?

I mean a cable that isn't plated copper, just pure silver.

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #39 of 50

Ted Allen's cables are 24awg and are incredibly flexible. The type of insulation as well as sheathing have a profound effect on the flexibility.

I was going to link you to Ted's profile where I was sure he declared his love for his "26awg OCC Copper" but i's been changed to silver
biggrin.gif

Looks like I'm going mad, just compared Ted's cable to a Whiplash one "knowing" that was 26.5 awg but on checking their site before posting it's 24.5.  The Whiplash looks thicker than Ted's cable but is less flexible, so probably just thicker insulation.

Sorry for the misinformation... 24awg is good.

By the way, Ted quoted me $207 for my specifications including OCC Silver and Viablue plugs.

So you went for the standard 5' ? Where do people store their DAPs... from my pocket to over my far ear is only 3.5' if I look over my shoulder, any longer than that it's just begging to be caught on a doorhandle
ph34r.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #44 of 50
Oyiade vs. Viablue.
Is there a sound difference between them? Or is it just looks and personal preference?

I think right-angled seems more practical in a pocket which viablue doesnt offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back