Best Closed Headphones for under $250 (Poll is for fun, would like some detailed replies too!)
Dec 2, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #16 of 40
Send me $250 - I'll sound deaden a football helmet and mount some 3" midrange woofers in it - balanced XLR even if ya want. 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #18 of 40

Quote:
Quote:
I find the SRH840s to be very comfortable, but there are many people who complain about it.  Its bass is definitely on the lighter side.

LIES :)

x2.  They probably have the best bass of any closed headphone I've heard in that price range- and it is ample.  Denon D2000 might have a bit more (and DT770-80 have too much) but those are not controlled and detailed like the Shures.  And it blends well with the mids, in large part because the Shures have mids unlike the Denons and Beyers.

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #19 of 40
So do the Shure SRH840 have more bass than the 750DJ's? I wasn't impressed with those and they were very uncomfortable. And are the best ATH for bass in the 200-250 price range the Audio Technica A900? And which between the the Beyerdynamic DT770 and the DT880 have more bass? As far as impact goes, I like the headphones to move the air, the sound alone isn't enough for me, that's why I dislike IEM's. Bass impact makes me feel like I'm at a live concert instead of a live CD =)

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #20 of 40
Have you concidered Denon D1100? I think it would be a good option for you ampless. It will sound warmer than D2000 and have just slightly smoother highs though but the bass would definitely satisfy you as far as impact/"feel" goes but it could possibly be slightly too much though (can be EQd out if need be). It also should shut off ambient noise better due to a bit stronger clamp, I've read D2000 sit very gently on the head and that's why they don't isolate well. A900 are far from what I would call basscans. DT770 does have fairly deep bass focus but you can still feel it pretty well, the mids are quite a lot recessed though which somewhat contributes to more bass is being let through obviously. DT770 is closed and 880 are open, DT770 are a lot bassier but they need an amp (same goes for 880 anyway).

You really thought Shure 750DJs were weak in bass though? Those should be somewhere in between average bass headphones and the bassiest headphones. Suppose it could be due to less recesseds mids like previous poster stated that you felt bass was weak.

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #21 of 40
Well, I liked the Shures, their bass just had less impact than the D2000, H-fi 580, and the ath-m50 in my opinion. Are you saying the Denon D1100 hit harder than the D2000? And which Audio Technica closed headphones are more bassy than the m50's for under $300? 

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #22 of 40
And do the SRH840 have the same/less/more bass than the 750dj? Also, I tried the Denon D1000 and didn't like them, I almost didn't buy the Denon D2000 b/c of how much the ATH-M50 beat them (imo) for the same price.

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #23 of 40

Quote:
And do the SRH840 have the same/less/more bass than the 750dj? Also, I tried the Denon D1000 and didn't like them, I almost didn't buy the Denon D2000 b/c of how much the ATH-M50 beat them (imo) for the same price.

I was talking about D1100 not D1001, they are using new drivers so they could be just as close to each other like some Grados would be against Sennheisers. :p D1100 should have much more impact than D2000 has and the biggest bass quantity from all Denons (more than D2000/D5000/D7000) so it could possibly be too much for you, for bassheads like me it's probably good though. But people here have described it as that kind of bass that you're looking for, not the slow/boomy type but punchy impactful, I wouldn't call it "tight" cuz D1100's bass is too big to be called "tight" as it still delivers in the deep bass too but it's not focusing on the deep/slow bass at least which you don't seem to like. D2000 I'd say is just slightly more on the boomy side than punchy but as usual different amps/equipment can give a bit different results etc but ampless it's definitely the case. Then it's just down to preference if you prefer a bit warmer and smoother sound like D1100 has or if you prefer more laid-back and brighter like DT770 for example. Versus D2000 it's a bit smoother, warmer sounding. This is a personal preference but for me I need a warm sounding headphone to get a truly "live" feeling when listening to the music, it can't be done with laid-back/analytical sound for me.

I don't know exactly how bassy they are but I think Audio Technicas portable ES series might be the only choice with more bass than M50 and obviously work ampless too. And they are pretty liked around here from certain people (expecting wind something to chime in soon ^^) and ES7 quite popular affordable choice with good mids but I don't know exactly about the bass quantity other than it does have at least a bit more than average headphone at least. For under $300 you could even get a ESW9 which uses wooden cups.

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #25 of 40
I'll check the Denon 1100 out, they sound really good, and I'm into too much bass because I don't think that exists. So out of the ATH ES series the ESW9 are what you'd recommend? Which would you say are best for 200-250 range (So I can compare to the Denon D2000)

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #27 of 40
The Fiio E7 is a good little dac/amp combo for portable and home use.  Should drive cans like the Denon D1100 just fine.

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #28 of 40
Is the Fiio E7 good enough to power the D2000? I'm really happy with them. But I was still waiting to see if someone could tell me if the D1100 has more or less bass impact than the D2000. I'd love to be able to find even more bass while at the same time saving money.

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #29 of 40
I like the bass on the SRH 840, but that's because I like bass crisp and not overwhelming. Also, while they're fairly easy to drive and sound okay without an amp, they need one to get the bass I'm describing. I wouldn't recommend these to a basshead, especially if they're going to be driven through a portable's headphone jack.

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #30 of 40
Denon D2000.

doesn't need an amp, but the E7 is fine if you want to use one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back