Best Closed Headphones for under $250 (Poll is for fun, would like some detailed replies too!)
Nov 21, 2010 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

HyperNight

New Head-Fier
    I've bought a lot of headphones lately, trying to find the perfect pair. I'm looking for overall sound quality, bass and comfort. I've went through Shure 750DJ (Not enough bass, not very comfortable), Ultrasone Hfi-580 (This was my favorite pair until the Denon D2000), Beyerdynamic DT770 (Don't get loud enough with just an ipod), Audio-Technica M50 (Very good, especially for under 100) Now my fav. pair are the Denon D2000. These are awesome, and I'd be satisfied, but these are the most expensive pair of headphones I've owned, so I'm not going to give up until I try the comparable model from Audio Technica, Ultrasone, AKG and maybe Beyerdynamic and Shure (If someone says something from them is more bassy than the DT770 or the Shure 750DJ and can be driven by an ipod).

So basically I'm asking which models of AT, Ultrasone, or any other company really have as much or more bass or better sound than the Denons, that are comfortable enough to wear for an hour or 2 at a time and don't need an amp. Thanks in advance 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 40
Which version of the DT770s are you using? Because I seem to drive my DT770 pro 80ohms fine with my laptop and my brother's ipod. You can try looking at some sony's like the MDR-XB500 also though, people say they have strong bass.

I tried the Denon AHD2000s and they never quite appealed to me (i'm more of a k701 person) and the bass didn't really seem special to me. Then again, I wouldn't describe the DT770s as THAT bass heavy, so maybe my ears are fuzzy
k701smile.gif

Oh and just some advice: make sure you're 100% sure you want to buy that headphone when you place the order. I jumped around grados and audio technicas before settling on the K701s. If I had gone straight for the K701 I would have money to buy a sweet amp already!

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 40

Quote:
DT880, DT990 and AKG k701 are open.

Yeah, ditto - this sort of upsets your poll from the get-go.  As a matter of fact, there are few headphones that are MORE OPEN than the K701's.
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 40
Well, thanks for pointing out the 2 different versions of the DT770, mine are the 250ohm models, so I gotta sell these, and buy the 80ohm version. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a bassy headphone from Beyerdynamic. And I'm still hoping someone gives me advice for the most bass heavy, ~$250 AKG, Ultrasone, Audio Technica, and Sennheiser as long as they're closed back. Also does any1 knows if the shure srh840 has more bass and if they are more comfortable than the 750DJ?

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 40
While Iook for the 80ohm DT770 and wait on advice to find out which others I should try, I'm selling/trading the following Headphones:

New and factory sealed: Sennheiser HD595 - 150, Sennheiser PXC-310 w/ Active Noise Canceling - 225, Audio Technica M50 - 100,
Dr. Dre Beats Tour Earphones - 120

New but never used: Bose IE Gen. 1 and Bose IE Gen. 2 (Winged Eartips) - 70 and 85

Like New, Used once: Bose Triport Around Ear w/ Bag - 90, Beyerdynamic DT770 w/ Carrying Case in Box

Like New, Used for months: Ultrasone Hfi 580: 160 - Like New w/ Carrying Bag 

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 40

Quote:
Well, thanks for pointing out the 2 different versions of the DT770, mine are the 250ohm models, so I gotta sell these, and buy the 80ohm version. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a bassy headphone from Beyerdynamic. And I'm still hoping someone gives me advice for the most bass heavy, ~$250 AKG, Ultrasone, Audio Technica, and Sennheiser as long as they're closed back. Also does any1 knows if the shure srh840 has more bass and if they are more comfortable than the 750DJ?

Thanks, that rules out Shure for my tastes. Really looking for some bass >= the Denon D2000, and maybe a little better at blocking out sound.

Nov 22, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #10 of 40
comparing all of them isn't like comparing orange A versus orange B, because they just different.

but as you said, it's for fun, so I'll vote for DT770/80, actually I'm not a basshead, and I don't like closed back headphones, but somehow... I like 770/80 :)

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #13 of 40
Hi everyone,

I really like my Denon AH-D2000s but wanted to point something out.  Though they are closed back, they are not as isolating as many other closed back headphones.  I use them for tracking and it is possible to get bleeding on vocal tracks if using a sensitive mic.

Anyway, I hope that helps some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back