Best Closed Headphone For Critical Listening?
Feb 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Koukol

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm a musician with a home studio who needs a closed headphone for recording tracks.

My everyday listening headphones are the K240's (I have a pair of Grados somewhere but they're unbelievably uncomfortable)
But I'm hoping I can improve on the K240's while also tracking and mixing in my studio (living room :))
As a musician listening to my favorite music It thrills me to hear things I haven't heard before however I want what the mix the Artists intended.
I listen to all types of music...from Punk to Bluegrass.

Right now the AKG 550 and SoundMagic HT100 are on my radar as they are priced right and have some positive reviews.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 16
Later edit - I just read closed... Audeze LCD-XC

It's always going to be challenging with closed headphones, but this is as good as it gets.
Why: Pretty linear frequency response and good details.

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 16
  Later edit - I just read closed... Audeze LCD-XC

It's always going to be challenging with closed headphones, but this is as good as it gets.
Why: Pretty linear frequency response and good details.

Thanks Negura but those are way out of my price range which is why I'm considering the 550 and HT100.

BTW~I just realized I posted this in the wrong section...sorry.

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 16
You're suggesting he go from $200 to $1,800 headphones? That's quite the leap.

Koukol, the K550 will be perfect for your needs. Its been great with all music and equipment I've thrown at it.

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 16
You're suggesting he go from $200 to $1,800 headphones? That's quite the leap.

Koukol, the K550 will be perfect for your needs. Its been great with all music and equipment I've thrown at it.

I auditioned the 550's today and was kinda shocked at how thin they sounded.
I guess my ears are adjusted to the K240's

I imagine you have a good amp to fill it out?

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 16
They're thin sounding because the earpads didn't seal well.

No amp will fix that problem.

K550 is a high risk headphone, though when sealed well the sound is very good.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 16

Thanks Etyfan...

I didn't even consider that it wasn't sealed properly.

I gave up on In Ears because of that same problem years ago as they sounded the same.

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 16

While that's a contributing factor in many cases, the 550 still sound relatively thin and overly bright with a good seal. Modifications can alleviate that constant to some degree. Ask me how I know.

FWIW, in the same price range, I'd strongly suggest AT A900x.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 16
I have a big head :) I've used iPods, C421, E09k, and home stereo receivers all with great results on the K550. I've never understood the "thin" description. They have been my go to closed HP for a while. Never had an issue with seal. Maybe I just have the right head for them.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 16
Feb 5, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 16
I have a big head :) I've used iPods, C421, E09k, and home stereo receivers all with great results on the K550. I've never understood the "thin" description. They have been my go to closed HP for a while. Never had an issue with seal. Maybe I just have the right head for them.

I have a big head, as well (XL helmet). The thing to keep in mind is that not all experiences are congruent with an identical idea of goodness, if you will, that may be driven by a variety of factors not excluding source material, an extended point of reference, and most importantly individual expectations.

On a personal note, the source material typically used by forum users is, what I believe, responsible for much of what we read.

:beerchug:

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 16
Interesting on the XC recommendation. I have to admit personally it wasn't my cuppa tea - I would have liked it to have a little more treble extension. Personally for -me- for critical listening (presumably this means analytical?) I'd say give the Mr.Speakers Alpha Dogs a shot for critical listening. It does have a somewhat lighter bass than the XCs though.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 16
  KNS8400 but only if you are willing to make a replacement cable (the Q460 cable might work). I bought it based on this review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/609952/the-king-of-budget-neutrality-krk-kns-8400s. It's more resolving than K70x.

Yes I auditioned these today but came away with the Shure SHR840's being a little more natural.

I've read on here that the product has gone through some transformation and that I should stay away from the earlier version.
Unfortunately II have no idea which ones I heard as they were demos.

Why must the cord be replaced...does it effect the sound?

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #15 of 16

Yes I auditioned these today but came away with the Shure SHR840's being a little more natural.

I've read on here that the product has gone through some transformation and that I should stay away from the earlier version.
Unfortunately I have no idea which ones I heard as they were demos.

Why must the cord be replaced...does it effect the sound?

SRH840 is my favorite closed model for enjoyment, but not for critical listening.

The KNS8400 cable bears even the slightest noises straight into the left earcup. It's impossible to use unless one is absolutely still. I contacted KRK about it, and they contended that I had a defective cable. But I don't believe that it was defective: I believe it's badly designed because several other members have complained about it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back