Best Closed Back Over Ear Headphone?
Jan 1, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #61 of 82
  What's you guys opinions about the Best Closed Back Over Ear Headphone?  Please exclude headphones like $5000 Ultrasone, that's just too expensive for average consumers. 

For under $1k, I'd say the best goes to the Beyerdynamic T70p and the Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back.
Closer to around $300 though, it goes the the AKG K553.

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #68 of 82
What about the Meze 99 Classics?
A less known brand but I saw some surprisingly good reviews online.
Anyone had the chance to audition them compared to say TH900 or T5p?

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #69 of 82

The 99's are probably one of the best closed back headphones in the market for its price, and yeah it's not well known.
It has really vibrant mids, and punchy yet not too strong bass, and treble that isn't flashy yet has an intimate feeling to it.
It's strong point is definitely the mids. 
Most people that spend their money spend it solely for the sound right? So some would think that headphones with such a beautiful finish and build quality would have drawbacks to sound.
To be honest, its sound has no weakness in this price point (unless you're perhaps an eccentric basshead or love shockingly clear, 'bright' treble).
The cons noted out by the community are generally just its fit - it won't fit everybody perfectly but it's still comfortable.

EDIT: I haven't ever gotten the chance to compare them to either the TH900's or T5p. Those headphones aren't exactly ones you'd use outside like the Meze 99's, and they're about triple the price, so I wouldn't think of that as a good comparison anyway.
They're much more often compared with things in its price point like the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0's, or perhaps AKG's K545's, or maybe even Audio Technica's MSR7's at times.

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #70 of 82
For the money it is hard to beat the Meze 99's. Those and the TH-X00's are ones I don't own but wish I did very fun headphones.

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #71 of 82
  EDIT: I haven't ever gotten the chance to compare them to either the TH900's or T5p. Those headphones aren't exactly ones you'd use outside like the Meze 99's, and they're about triple the price, so I wouldn't think of that as a good comparison anyway.
They're much more often compared with things in its price point like the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0's, or perhaps AKG's K545's, or maybe even Audio Technica's MSR7's at times.

I see your point however in my few years as an audio enthusiast I learned that there is no better headphone than the one that sounds best to your ears.
I admit there is a general pattern of expensive headphones offering better performances because technically superior, but I found numerous exceptions on my path.

I tried the 1770 Pro, didn't like them, too dark, on the verge of being veiled. The TH900 MKII, better, but for the price I could not stand the recessed mids and sometimes brittle highs.

As I am starting to panic because I need a closed back to use at home when baby and wife are sleeping, I started considering outsiders like the 99 Classics and hope for "the miracle"!

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #72 of 82
I see your point however in my few years as an audio enthusiast I learned that there is no better headphone than the one that sounds best to your ears.
I admit there is a general pattern of expensive headphones offering better performances because technically superior, but I found numerous exceptions on my path.

I tried the 1770 Pro, didn't like them, too dark, on the verge of being veiled. The TH900 MKII, better, but for the price I could not stand the recessed mids and sometimes brittle highs.

As I am starting to panic because I need a closed back to use at home when baby and wife are sleeping, I started considering outsiders like the 99 Classics and hope for "the miracle"!
Don't panic the Meze is a very good headphone. Just one thing the cups aren't real big if you have big ears there could be a problem. Just putting that out there. I had no problem .

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #73 of 82
Don't panic the Meze is a very good headphone. Just one thing the cups aren't real big if you have big ears there could be a problem. Just putting that out there. I had no problem .

Thanks, they just arrived home, tonight is testing time...

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #74 of 82
Oct 13, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #75 of 82
Let us know what you think after testing.

After less than an hour listening (I had togo on a business trip) this is my very first impression :
Engaging, musical, easy to get addicted to. Very open and airy sound considering they are closed cans.
The fit seems on for my ears but the opening in the pads it's indeed quite small.
A/B tests to come...
My rather small ears fit in but touching the inner side of the pads.
I will have to try for al longer time to confirm any comfort issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back