Best closed back headphones to pair with Schiit Valhalla ($300 price range)
Jan 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DaggothReborn

Head-Fier
I just got a brand new set of AKG K702s, and if they don't sound better by the 300 hour break in, ill probably sell them. I'm looking for a nice set of closed back headphones that sound great with new rap, old rap, old rock, new rock, then into blues and pop. I've done a lot of research, but must people post wanting new headphones, but don't have a amp. Ill be using my schiit valhalla amp. I LOVE my audio technicia ath a700s.

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 6
what is it you don't like about the 70x and what do you like  about the a700's.

try to give a little bit of sound preference info if possible:)

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 6
the a700's have soooooo much more bass.. and I'm not sure if its because my 702s arnt burnt in yet, but everything is subpar compared to the a700s. plus i like being sealed off from everything around me.

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 6
702 are not known for their bass and aren't closed design.

2 closed design headphones that are known for their bass quantity and quality, which come to my mind:

- Denon D2000
- Beyerdynamic DT770

I have the latter one in 80 ohms version, very nice cans with good strong bass, yet acceptable overall performance. Isolate very well.

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 6
ive heard about these everywhere...... should i get the 600 ohm with this amp?

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 6
For your requirements I might suggest the Denon D2000. Some say they have bloated bass and recessed mids, but I didn't think so when I had them connected to a desktop amp (Asgard). With my amp the mids were fine and the bass was actually very well controlled. Still a bit bass heavy, but not too bad. I hate them when unamped though. They're also one of the most comfortable headphones there is.

I had the DT-770 32 ohm, but I think the only version that's said to be bass heavy is the 80 ohm version. My DT-770 was nowhere near bass heavy. I'm not 100% sure on this.

With the D2000 I've found it best to just try them out with my own ears. When I first tried them I hated them but I only had portable amps and returned the. Six months later I gave them another chance and loved them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back