- Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A and A900X
- Kenwood KH-K1000
- Klipsch M40
- AKG K550
- Denon AH-D2000 and AH-D5000
- Creative Aurvana Live!
- Sony MDR-X10
- B&W P5
- Sennheiser HD 380Pro (might be right on the edge of being "sharp" depending on your personal tastes; the 280 will almost certainly be "sharp" though (if they aren't, rejoice, for you aren't super treble sensitive, and can look at even more headphones)).
- Koss TBSE

Probably more that I'm forgetting too (I'm ignoring a lot of really inexpensive stuff (like the Koss Ruckus stuff), and I'm not putting the Beats down (even though they would all satisfy your two requirements)). Now tell us what kind of music you like, what you're plugging them into, how much isolation you really need, etc and you can have a better answer. :p

EDIT
Thought of more headphones that could actually go onto the list.

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 8
Used Paradox

Or Mad Dogs 

should definitely be on the list for consideration.

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 8
lol? Beats are HORRIBLE, and the Bose headphones dont have that great of sound quality, only really good NC....

You asked an extremely vague question and got a very broad answer. None of the headphones I listed are overly sibilant or harsh sounding, and none of them cost more than $600 (the AH-D5000 probably do today though). You had no other criteria, and I don't read minds so well. :xf_eek:

And yes, the Beats *are* horrible (like terribad, like don't try them because you'll lose faith in the value of the American dollar bad). But they're under $600 and aren't sharp, piercing, or harsh. Fits your criteria. :ph34r: (No, I would not suggest them, hence why they didn't get listed).

As far as the Bose headphones - they have fine sound quality if you're looking for a laid-back and non-fatiguing sound, they just aren't extremely dry or bright, which separates them from a lot of "audiophile" products. Depending on what you actually want here, the AE2 might not be a terrible choice. But again, it depends on you as a listener, not any sort of external quale (if that makes sense).

I'll finally add - there is not going to be a singular "best" choice, there's going to be a best choice for you, based on a variety of factors, so expecting to be spoon-fed is probably not going to get you a product you really want to have. Basically the more information you can provide us with what you want, the more information we can provide with you with what consider or look at; it also helps if we know what you're going to hook up to. We need more data (or in the words of Johnny 5 - input Stephanie, input!).

And as I said - provide more criteria and I'll refine the list for you (I do mean it - I'm really not trying to be a curmudgeon).

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
You asked an extremely vague question and got a very broad answer. None of the headphones I listed are overly sibilant or harsh sounding, and none of them cost more than $600 (the AH-D5000 probably do today though). Do you have a problem with that? You had no other criteria.
redface.gif

And yes, the Beats *are* horrible. But they're under $600 and aren't sharp, piercing, or harsh. Fits your criteria.
ph34r.gif
(No, I would not suggest them, hence why they didn't get listed).

As far as the Bose headphones - they have fine sound quality if you're looking for a laid-back and non-fatiguing sound, they just aren't extremely dry or bright, which separates them from a lot of "audiophile" products. Depending on what you actually want here, the AE2 might not be a terrible choice.

I'll finally add, since I think it would probably be helpful for you to hear this sooner rather than later - there is not going to be a singular "best" choice, there's going to be a best choice for you, based on a variety of factors, so expecting to be spoon-fed is probably not going to get you a product you really want to have. But who knows, you might get lucky.

And as I said - provide more criteria and I'll refine the list for you (I do mean it).
Have never heard any of the T50 mods, so I didn't mention them, but I also don't intend my list to be comprehensive. I'm sure there's a number of closed headphones that will vaguely fit into this criteria though (hell, the original Koss Pro4/A from 1968 will fit into this criteria, and leave around $550 in beer money).
smily_headphones1.gif

Completely understandable. You're right, his listing is super vague. And those cans probably outreach what he's really even looking for.

And I'll just go ahead and topple on. Be more specific about what you're looking for. Use case, music preferences,gear to be used, etc.

Otherwise, the answer should be.... just get anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back