Best Closed Back Audiophile Headphone?
Jun 14, 2017 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ROIDmonkey

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm an audiophile and currently own Sennheiser HD650 and I quite like them except for two things - I prefer a more bass heavy headphone and while the sound is amazing I want more bass and two (this is the big one) they're open back headphones, now I'm a student so studying in the library or going to gym doesn't really work with the HD650s. Also im not going to be dragging an amp around with me, just going to plug them into my IPhone/Android (I've got both) and expect them to sound good.

I listen to lots of stuff like (but not limited to):
Rap - Eminem, 50 Cent, Jay Z, Kanye West, etc....
Techno/EDM - Tiesto, dubstep remixes of popular songs (think Dr.Dre Next Episode San Holo Remix etc), etc....
Some Rock/Pop - Metallica, Justin Timberlake, etc.....
And some videogame/movie soundtracks - think Assisins Creed (Ezio's Family, Aphelion), My Heart Will Go On from Titanic, Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks, etc .....

So basically I'm looking for a pair of over-ear, CLOSED BACK, relatively portable, audiophile headphones with great all around performance but a bit bass heavy that will sound good without an amp.
I dont give a **** about price.

So far I've been looking at Sennheiser HD630VB and Oppo PM-3. Sennheisers because they're marketed as portable audiophile headphones and they've got that bass fiddler thing on the earcup and the PM-3 because the PM-1 is open back and everyone says the PM-3 is great.

Any other headphones I should consider and why? Also are the
headphones I mentioned earlier any good for what I need?

Thanks in advance

Jun 14, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 17
"best audiophile closed back headphones", "more bass heavy", "don't give a **** about price* ...

after reading your post the first headphones that comes to my mind are the Sony MDR-Z1R

(on a sidenote: using a 2200$-headphone without an amp is kind of a waste though)

Jun 14, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 17
MDR-Z1R is a great choice and it's not really amp dependent even though amp would definitely make it better. But, I am not sure if it's a good idea to bring a $2000 headphone to the gym. V-moda might be a good choice for portability and bass.

Jun 14, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 17
Check out the B&W P9 and see what you think. It could work potentially. With an impedance of 22 ohms and sensitivity of 111 dB, you should have no trouble using them without an amp. They fold down so you can slip them in a backpack easily. Bass is prominent. And they are gorgeous. You should look into them. $900.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 17
Consider the Mitchell & Johnson Electrostatz hybrid dynamic/electret closed back headphones. I have both the GL2 and MJ2. Both have more lowend than my Sennheiser HD600. The GL2 are the warmer of the two. The MJ2 use a different dynamic woofer and are very detailed. Neither are ever ragged sounding. Stats are so effortless sounding. Very efficient at 32 ohms and easy to drive with phone, dap, etc. The MJ2 fold.
Warning. These headphones require 200 hours of playing to break in. Before this they sound discombobulated. If you don't believe in break in or don't have the patience for it, these won't be for you.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/m...s-appreciation-and-impressions-thread.828004/

Jun 14, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 17
"best audiophile closed back headphones", "more bass heavy", "don't give a **** about price* ...

after reading your post the first headphones that comes to my mind are the Sony MDR-Z1R

(on a sidenote: using a 2200$-headphone without an amp is kind of a waste though)

I agree with everything said here.Solid +1

Jun 14, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 17
The AKG K872's have very good bass and will play crazy good out of my iPhone 6S Plus. Listening to Griz is just outstanding with them.

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 17
I hope labeling yourself as an audiophile means that you're at least listening to some variation of lossless music format. You can pay as much money as you want for new headphones but if you're going to listen 1) without a mobile amp and 2) to mp3/Pandora stream, then I guarantee you that it will disappoint you. If you've been listening to a properly amped HD650 and switched to something else and listen to unamped lossy formats then you'll feel you wasted money. I've met enough audiophiles and seen how much money they spend on gear, and now label myself as more of an audio enthusuast haha, and I also use the 650s and have a Bifrost and Asgard in the mail and a pretty decent DSD64 library on Foobar. That being said, I think Sony makes some decent bassy cans that could take some beating.

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 17
I hope labeling yourself as an audiophile means that you're at least listening to some variation of lossless music format. You can pay as much money as you want for new headphones but if you're going to listen 1) without a mobile amp and 2) to mp3/Pandora stream, then I guarantee you that it will disappoint you. If you've been listening to a properly amped HD650 and switched to something else and listen to unamped lossy formats then you'll feel you wasted money. I've met enough audiophiles and seen how much money they spend on gear, and now label myself as more of an audio enthusuast haha, and I also use the 650s and have a Bifrost and Asgard in the mail and a pretty decent DSD64 library on Foobar. That being said, I think Sony makes some decent bassy cans that could take some beating.
I stream lossless from tidal.

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 17
Hey guys, I'm an audiophile and currently own Sennheiser HD650 and I quite like them except for two things - I prefer a more bass heavy headphone and while the sound is amazing I want more bass and two (this is the big one) they're open back headphones, now I'm a student so studying in the library or going to gym doesn't really work with the HD650s. Also im not going to be dragging an amp around with me, just going to plug them into my IPhone/Android (I've got both) and expect them to sound good.

I listen to lots of stuff like (but not limited to):
Rap - Eminem, 50 Cent, Jay Z, Kanye West, etc....
Techno/EDM - Tiesto, dubstep remixes of popular songs (think Dr.Dre Next Episode San Holo Remix etc), etc....
Some Rock/Pop - Metallica, Justin Timberlake, etc.....
And some videogame/movie soundtracks - think Assisins Creed (Ezio's Family, Aphelion), My Heart Will Go On from Titanic, Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks, etc .....

So basically I'm looking for a pair of over-ear, CLOSED BACK, relatively portable, audiophile headphones with great all around performance but a bit bass heavy that will sound good without an amp.
I dont give a **** about price.

So far I've been looking at Sennheiser HD630VB and Oppo PM-3. Sennheisers because they're marketed as portable audiophile headphones and they've got that bass fiddler thing on the earcup and the PM-3 because the PM-1 is open back and everyone says the PM-3 is great.

Any other headphones I should consider and why? Also are the
headphones I mentioned earlier any good for what I need?

Thanks in advance

Superlux HD660. Doesn't fold flat but since you're a student, you might be able to just toss them into your backpack. And at $50 or so, you won't really cry over any scratches. Fits third party replacement pads made for the DT770 too.

Box it comes in is basically a hardcase with the label on it, but it's a bit bulky for daily use.

If you totally don't care about the price (and preusumably, knocking around an expensive headphone on the go), there's the LCD-XC, but the bass isn't as loud as the HD660. Just flatter, goes deeper, barely any spikes in the response curve. It folds flat but it's larger.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 17
If you like the sound signature of your HD650. You might really like a pair of ZMF Eikon. When i heard them at Socal Canjam hooked up to a Schiit Jotunhiem. They reminded me of a better closed version of HD650.

Mar 2, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #14 of 17
Denon, Denon, Denon.... for travel HP600, for quality / budget HP800 and for the best sound D7200. Have all these and they are amazing... I got rid of other brands such Senheisers and BeyerDynamic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back