Best clip-ons: Yuin G1A, ATH-EW9, KSC-35km, modded KSC-35, Yuin G2A, MDR-Q68LW, DIY Grado clip-ons, KSC-75
Oct 16, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #151 of 177
I did not tried Pico Slim, but I yet to hear portable amp, which has not enough power for G1A, PK1 or OK1. All my amps were good with them - Move, iBasso D2, D3, D10, TTVJ Millet portable, Airhead, Supermicro IV, Pico. They were different on SQ, signature, synergy, but every provided enough power. So I doubt Justin made Pico Slim underpowered for top Yuins.

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #153 of 177

[size=medium]
So, if I want to look at clip on again and want an sq that is fairly wide and natural(or close to it), should I be look at the Sony's or which one? I didn't like something about the Koss when I tried them. I did like the ATH-EM7, but not sure how much of a difference the EW9, or metal EM7 offer. The build quality was very good. The cord was a bit short, but I am told the demo model had the retractable cords stuck, but it did offer good microphonics. I will be paring it to my Vaio TT, and Motrola Droid 2(using winamp of course). I do have a simple eq software installed on my D2, but I'm not sure if it can give the well rated sounded kost said a proper eq would bring to it. 

Edit: how does the Sony, or ATH compare to similarly price IEM out of curiosity? 
[/size]

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #154 of 177
That reminds me I have a pair of ATH-EM7s in a drawer somewhere.  Without question the most bizarre sounding headphones I have ever heard.  To this day I'm suspicious there is something wrong with mine, there is just no way AT intended for them to sound the way they do.

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #155 of 177
Sony is cheap. When EQ-ed, it better than similarly priced IEMs I tried.
Regarding ATs - there are plenty of better IEMs for the price. 

Quote:

[size=medium]
Edit: how does the Sony, or ATH compare to similarly price IEM out of curiosity? 
[/size]

May 17, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #157 of 177
Kostalex, what prevented you from giving a higher ranking to the Yuin G1A?
What was it that failed or what was it´s most noticeable sonic limitations compared to the higher ranked ones?
And was the closed back design very noticeable? I mean could you hear that the closed enclosures were degrading, coloring or influencing the sound very dramatically?
Did you find the treble to lack refinment compared to the higher ranked headphones?

Thanks!

May 20, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #158 of 177
See replies inside the quote
Quote:
Kostalex, what prevented you from giving a higher ranking to the Yuin G1A?
What was it that failed or what was it´s most noticeable sonic limitations compared to the higher ranked ones?

Higher ranked cans have better resolution, they are able to reproduce the sound more realistically with less sonic flaws. 

And was the closed back design very noticeable? I mean could you hear that the closed enclosures were degrading, coloring or influencing the sound very dramatically?

Just some subtle resonance somewhere in upper mids. Besides that, no problems were detected. Actually, G1A is not closed, it is semi-open. It has pretty large air opening between the driver and the back plate. There pads edges go, stuffing the opening with the foam.

Did you find the treble to lack refinment compared to the higher ranked headphones?

A bit.

May 21, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #159 of 177
OK, just one more thing:

From your experience, did you find the Yuin clip-ons as easily dismantable as the Koss?
Can the Yuins be modified as easily with different parts?

Thanks!

EDIT: And did you find the drivers in the Yuins to be the same as the Koss clip-ons? Guess I found my answer on the thread....

May 21, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #160 of 177
I consider Yuins to have deep-modded Koss drivers, even using new coil. They have felt cover glued, so it is not easy to get inside. And I do not see why to mod these drivers. You still may play freely with clips, headband, foam, back plate, even cable.

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #164 of 177
Just posting to say thanks for the tips, especially for the Q68LW. Gets colder here up north and a closed, on-ear solution that's hat friendly is a little tough to come by. These fit the bill except they're not very glasses friendly :V

Out of the box the things were pretty anemic sounding but coming by your EQ suggestion really put some life into them. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #165 of 177
sorry if this is the wrong thread but to those EW9 owners:

to get rid most of the EW9's nasty upper midrange resonance, try to replace the two stock dampening foams with an open cell-foam like those silverstone, akasa paxmate, lian-li, or anything as long as it is an open-cell foam.

i noticed that the EW9 stock dampening uses a closed cell foam and a very thin piece of an accoustic foam (i think). the closed-cell foam probably bounces back the sound causing reflections and resonance.

as for the sound? try to see for yourself. it is very much listenable in most genres now since the upper midrange problem is about 90-95% reduced.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back