Best clip-ons: Yuin G1A, ATH-EW9, KSC-35km, modded KSC-35, Yuin G2A, MDR-Q68LW, DIY Grado clip-ons, KSC-75
Aug 6, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #140 of 177
Well i know i may be off topic but recently discovered this review of the yuins and by the pictures the drivers look a lot like the ksc-35, porta or sporta. They have the same attachment system with clips aparently a titanium diaphragm, spikes for the foams and the same front cover. Is yuin using parts from koss o some kind of license?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Head-Direct/Yuin/G1/2.html

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #141 of 177
I doubt they need a license. Koss PortaPro was released in 1984, so likely any Koss patents are outdated.

"Most patents have a lifespan of 20 years... Design patents have a lifespan of only 14 years." - http://www.ehow.com/facts_5697495_lifespan-patent_.html

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #142 of 177
So basically we may have a tuned or improved Koss driver? May be a properly modded 35 like yours is close or on par with the Yuin with the plate. Koss could "take" some ideas from Yuin and develope a new design.

Aug 8, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #144 of 177
I hope Koss will turn to the best. Yes, they did not unleash PortaPro driver potential, like Yuin did with their design. There are some good signs of progress though, like KDE250, which I am about to review. Here is a teasing pic:

I am burning-in it hardly now, so review will come up in 3 weeks, no earlier. Straight out of the box, it delivers king-sized while pretty accurate bass, nice clarity and big soundstage with good imaging capabilities. It sounds really big, beating  many full-sized cans.

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #146 of 177

Quote:
I hope Koss will turn to the best. Yes, they did not unleash PortaPro driver potential, like Yuin did with their design. There are some good signs of progress though, like KDE250, which I am about to review. Here is a teasing pic:

I am burning-in it hardly now, so review will come up in 3 weeks, no earlier. Straight out of the box, it delivers king-sized while pretty accurate bass, nice clarity and big soundstage with good imaging capabilities. It sounds really big, beating  many full-sized cans.

I`m waiting for the review. Koss is one of the few brands that i can buy locally, actually the only good one. I hope Koss unleash the full potential of the porta driver i mean they already have the main part. May be they should develope a new enclosure and tune the driver accordingly.

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #147 of 177
I wonder if it it would be possible for you to add a pic of these on your head.  I am so curios to see how these fit given the metal, non bendable arms.  They look like you would be putting a pair of glasses on. 

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #148 of 177
Awesome reviews, very much appreciated. I also prefer clips ons as they are far more stable compared to earbuds (unless i loop them around my ear).

Oct 16, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #150 of 177

Kostalex, thank you for your reviews-so helpful.  In your opinion would the pico slim be enough amp for the G1A or the PK1?  I ask because as you likely know the slim is generally considered an IEM amp and is less powerful than a pico.  Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back