Best classical recordings...ever!
Oct 22, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #8,672 of 9,368
From karajan i only have that Disc with Mozart late symphonies, the rest i have them with Marriner of the St martin in the fields. Mozart wrote such nice music paroding the movie Amadeus
biggrin.gif
​ it's like God is speaking to us thru his msusic

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #8,673 of 9,368
  From karajan i only have that Disc with Mozart late symphonies, the rest i have them with Marriner of the St martin in the fields. Mozart wrote such nice music paroding the movie Amadeus
biggrin.gif
​ it's like God is speaking to us thru his msusic

The Karajan late symphonies Mozart double disk set is right fine.
The Mariner set is right fine too IMO.

Get the Böhm complete set.

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #8,675 of 9,368
My favorite Haydn Quartet Op. 76 No. 3  "Emperor"  i also love the "Lark" and the "Rider" and the doubtful Op. 3

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #8,679 of 9,368
Klemperer's Mozart set is easily my favorite. Szell is good, too, as a distant second (and a budget option). Britten's partial set is very impressive. I'm curious to try Bernstein's NYP Mozart records, because his NYP Haydn was so in the groove. Beecham and Walter were surprising disappointments; respectively, undisciplined/raw and sleepy/treacly. Böhm is heavy-handed as usual.

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #8,680 of 9,368

give humanity some credit
wink_face.gif

Glenn Gould humming.

or Mackerras Mozart with Prague Chamber or James Levine with VPO or Christopher Hogwood? ir Travor Pinnock with English concert...

I found some of the discs with Mackerras/Prague very poorly engineered -- distant strings/horns. Others are pretty good. The Levine /VPO set was surprisingly good -- a keeper for me, as Bohm's cycle is now sooo long ago (but still listenable). Interesting that this is the VPO's only complete cycle of Mozart, and the conductor they picked was Levine.

I really like Levine's 3rd of Mahler!

Me too. Try Semyon Bychkov's 3rd. Really good recording, perhaps a reference.

Klemperer's Mozart set is easily my favorite. Szell is good, too, as a distant second (and a budget option). Britten's partial set is very impressive. I'm curious to try Bernstein's NYP Mozart records, because his NYP Haydn was so in the groove. Beecham and Walter were surprising disappointments; respectively, undisciplined/raw and sleepy/treacly. Böhm is heavy-handed as usual.

me too. Too bad Klempie and Szell did not record more. Bernstein did a few (#38-41) with the VPO, which I like -- gorgeous soundscape, a bit slower tempi on #41. Harnoncourt's #41 with the Chamber Orch Europe is stupendously good, esp the 4th mvt.

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #8,681 of 9,368

The Karajan late symphonies Mozart double disk set is right fine.

Have mercy. HvK does not have Mozart in his temperament.

Mackerras did a few with the Scottish Chamber Orch, which are excellent. Clear textures and good momentum on #38, which is sheer operatic.

Oct 22, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #8,684 of 9,368
[Mod Comment]

Just a reminder of the rules.

1. Debate the point  - not the person.  As soon as it gets personal, you've gone too far
  2. Please stop the off-topic. Discussion of the performance of walkmans, or trolling IS off-topic
  3. If you think someone is breaking the rules - report it - don't respond (it leaves us less to clean up)
  4. Posting multiple times in a row of senseless banter and quoting oneself is detrimental to the thread and will not be tolerated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back