Best classical recordings...ever!
Oct 23, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #8,701 of 9,368
  And I don't particularly care for her Schubert.  In fact I like her Mozart and her Berg, but not so much in between.  (Don't know her Debussy, however.)

Ho about the Mozart concertos?  Any other fans of Perahia?

not a big fan, I have several Bach cd's from him, so I sure tried, but I can handle his use of sustain pedal, it ruins it for me
redface.gif
  Haven't heard his Mozart though..

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #8,703 of 9,368
  Geza Anda and Perahia do it for Mozzie's Ctos, for me. Casadesus too, with Szell (not complete though).

I share your tastes.  I have Anda, and I had Casadesus on LP years ago (and Peter Serkin).  I also have Bilson on pianoforte.  For years I couldn't enjoy that, and I thought of getting rid of it more than once.  I just couldn't hear the soloist adequately through the orchestra.  But after a recent upgrade of my DAC (to a Teac UD-501), I found that the the pianoforte was much more clearly defined in the mix.

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #8,705 of 9,368
  Do you like Schiff?  I saw him play the entire WTC - both books, one per concert.  And he touched the sustain pedal exactly once.

love Schiff's Bach, especially this one

the sound of the piano is also superb (played on his own Steinway I believe)

This is right now my favorite WTC recording (besides Gould of course)

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #8,706 of 9,368

love Schiff's Bach, especially this one

the sound of the piano is also superb (played on his own Steinway I believe)

This is right now my favorite WTC recording (besides Gould of course)

I have that one (signed!) plus the earlier one as part of the Decca box set.  I started with Gould (didn't everyone for Bach?), but I listen to Schiff much more these days. In addition, I'll be hearing Angela Hewitt in concert twice this week.

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #8,707 of 9,368
  I have that one (signed!) plus the earlier one as part of the Decca box set.  I started with Gould (didn't everyone for Bach?), but I listen to Schiff much more these days. In addition, I'll be hearing Angela Hewitt in concert twice this week.

Hewitt just released a disc of her second Goldbergs. I have her first. I wonder whether anyone has listened to the new release -- supposedly has "insights" stemming from her maturation as a pianist. Gould's 1981 Goldebrg's are so good, quite a tempo slowdown from his 1955.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #8,708 of 9,368
  Very true.

I think Gould mangles Mozart -- a bit like Tim Burton at the keyboard.
biggrin.gif

Eschenbach gives very Germanic renditions.

Gould's take on Mozart pales in comparison to his take on Chopin. I listen to this once in a while just because of how odd it sounds, and weirdly great in a Tim Burton-esque way.

Compare Blechacz

to gould!
eek.gif

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #8,709 of 9,368
Szell is my imprint version of Nos. 35, 39, 40 and 41. An important early step in my appreciation of classical. I just ordered the most remastering from CDJapan (along with the SACD set of his Beethoven). Nothing is going to turn these into audiophile treasures, but I expect improvements.

Szell`s Beethoven symphonies are amazing. 
I`d be curious to hear your impressions on the SACD version of them.

I grew up with the LP and then later got the Sony cds.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #8,710 of 9,368

Gould's take on Mozart pales in comparison to his take on Chopin. I listen to this once in a while just because of how odd it sounds, and weirdly great in a Tim Burton-esque way.

Compare Blechacz

to gould!
eek.gif

Yikes.....glad Gould stuck mostly to Bach. The tempi of Bach suit him better, I think.

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #8,711 of 9,368
  I share your tastes.  I have Anda, and I had Casadesus on LP years ago (and Peter Serkin).  I also have Bilson on pianoforte.  For years I couldn't enjoy that, and I thought of getting rid of it more than once.  I just couldn't hear the soloist adequately through the orchestra.  But after a recent upgrade of my DAC (to a Teac UD-501), I found that the the pianoforte was much more clearly defined in the mix.

I believe that Mozart and Beethoven benefit totally from modern concert painos. I too have the Bilson #25/26 of Mozart, and the period pf just sounds wimpy, I can't "get into" the pieces like I do with modern pianos. Just personal taste. There's a place for "period authenticity", but it's not in my listening room. I live in the 21st century, not the 18th.

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #8,712 of 9,368
Try early Mozart sonatas by Gould like K279.. personally I like most of his Mozart, other pianist can be so bloody boring
biggrin.gif

I like Brendel's though..and Eschenbach..and Pires..and Uchida when I'm in that mood

edit:

best..

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #8,713 of 9,368
  Try early Mozart sonatas by Gould like K279.. personally I like most of his Mozart, other pianist can be so bloody boring
biggrin.gif

I like Brendel's though..and Eschenbach..and Pires..and Uchida when I'm in that mood

Do Walter Klien -- bargain-priced on Amazon recently.

https://www.amazon.ca/Mozart-Piano-Sonatas-Vol-1/dp/B000001K2G/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1477310852&sr=1-2&keywords=walter+klien%2C+mozart
https://www.amazon.ca/Mozart-Sonatas-Vol-II-Walter-Klien/dp/B000001K2V/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1477310852&sr=1-3&keywords=walter+klien%2C+mozart

Sonatas with Grumiaux:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Philips/4757349#download

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #8,714 of 9,368

Do Walter Klien -- bargain-priced on Amazon recently.

https://www.amazon.ca/Mozart-Piano-Sonatas-Vol-1/dp/B000001K2G/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1477310852&sr=1-2&keywords=walter+klien%2C+mozart
https://www.amazon.ca/Mozart-Sonatas-Vol-II-Walter-Klien/dp/B000001K2V/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1477310852&sr=1-3&keywords=walter+klien%2C+mozart

Ill check it out thanks..Just listening to Gould's K279 right now.. nothing less then bloody brilliant, love it.

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #8,715 of 9,368
  Do you like Schiff?  I saw him play the entire WTC - both books, one per concert.  And he touched the sustain pedal exactly once.

Wow. I would give much to see Schiff in concert. And Karajan and Kleiber....and Bernstein.

When I was lucky to live in NYC in the '90s, I attended concerts galore -- saw Brendel do the Beeth concerto cycle with Masur/NYPhil; Mutter do Violin Cto, and Pollini at Carnegie Hall. The VPO as well, twice, in March each year (Solti, Ozawa). Those were the days.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back