Best classical recordings...ever!
Oct 22, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #8,686 of 9,368
Mackerras did a few with the Scottish Chamber Orch, which are excellent. Clear textures and good momentum on #38, which is sheer operatic.
[/quote]

+1. Highly recommend.

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #8,690 of 9,368
Those are all very fine and very different sets.

Szell is my imprint version of Nos. 35, 39, 40 and 41. An important early step in my appreciation of classical. I just ordered the most remastering from CDJapan (along with the SACD set of his Beethoven). Nothing is going to turn these into audiophile treasures, but I expect improvements.

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #8,691 of 9,368

Testing. Looks like this thread is back online.

I think this is certainly one of the best Mozart cycles ever recorded:

Mozart for real man
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #8,693 of 9,368
Uchida's Mozart is nice but a bit to light for me, the feminine part of Amadeus is a bit overdone, many pianists do this, that's why I like Arrau's Mozart so much (& Gould's but 4 diff reason)

Oct 23, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #8,695 of 9,368
  Very true.

I think Gould mangles Mozart -- a bit like Tim Burton at the keyboard.
biggrin.gif

Eschenbach gives very Germanic renditions.

And what about Ulchida? I like her rendition of the piano sonata No. 10 i think

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #8,696 of 9,368
  Very true.

I think Gould mangles Mozart -- a bit like Tim Burton at the keyboard.
biggrin.gif

Eschenbach gives very Germanic renditions.

For me Gould's Mozart is really more of a critical commentary on a composer who many feel is saint like untouchable..me, Im an atheist
biggrin.gif

Eschenbach I like very much, but doesn't get many listening hours though..

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #8,697 of 9,368

And what about Ulchida? I like her rendition of the piano sonata No. 10 i think

Although I have great respect for her as a person and her play, it's a bit to right handed for my taste, same with her Schubert.. I do listen to her Schubert when I'm in the mood for Schubbie 'light'

In other words, I like some more bass, preferably more melodic then harmonic..counterpoint like (but hey, I'm a Gould nut, what do I know
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #8,698 of 9,368

For me Gould's Mozart is really more of a critical commentary on a composer who many feel is saint like untouchable..me, Im an atheist
biggrin.gif

Kinda ironic -- Gould made his name as a Bach interpreter, and Bach was very religious.....it permeates Bach's music. 
blink.gif

Maybe not his piano pieces that much.

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #8,699 of 9,368

Although I have great respect for her as a person and her play, it's a bit to right handed for my taste, same with her Schubert.. I do listen to her Schubert when I'm in the mood for Schubbie 'light'

In other words, I like some more bass, preferably more melodic then harmonic..counterpoint like (but hey, I'm a Gould nut, what do I know
biggrin.gif
)

And I don't particularly care for her Schubert.  In fact I like her Mozart and her Berg, but not so much in between.  (Don't know her Debussy, however.)

Ho about the Mozart concertos?  Any other fans of Perahia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back