Best classical recordings...ever!
Oct 21, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #8,658 of 9,368

Clearly, due to the obvious scarcity of Bartok posts in this thread you are indeed serious listeners.

rolleyes.gif

Speaking of great artists and teaching, one of my favorite teaching stories regards Bartok.
Back in the day when Howard Hanson led the revered Eastman school he invited Bartok to teach composition there.
Bartok refused due to his belief that composition could`t be taught. Despite this he wanted to teach piano at Eastman.
Hanson refused to hire him for this position.

Oct 22, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #8,662 of 9,368

Superb recording, the trombone solo is stunning as is Petra Lang in 'O Mensch'

Chailly is overrated.
Like as compared to the really important, historically revered folks (Bernstein included(Boulez too for contrarian sake)) in the modern domain who have recorded this masterpiece.
I guarantee you that in 20 years time this recording will have been forgotten. This due to it`s cultural (and other) irrelevance. Flash in the pan so to speak. 
IMO.

What do you think?

The recording is indeed supereb by audiophile standards though.
Like his Beethoven.

Also irrelevant in 20 (or maybe 1
tongue.gif
) years.

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #8,663 of 9,368

Chailly is overrated.
Like as compared to the really important, historically revered folks (Bernstein included(Boulez too for contrarian sake)) in the modern domain who have recorded this masterpiece.
I guarantee you that in 20 years time this recording will have been forgotten. This due to it`s cultural (and other) irrelevance. Flash in the pan so to speak. 
IMO.

What do you think?

The recording is indeed supereb by audiophile standards though.
Like his Beethoven.

Also irrelevant in 20 (or maybe 1
tongue.gif
) years.

I disagree by a large margin, loads of people think about him like you, so I think he's underrated (his Mahler that is, don't like his Brahms)

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #8,664 of 9,368

I disagree by a large margin, loads of people think about him like you, so I think he's underrated (his Mahler that is, don't like his Brahms)

So by this definition, "loads of people think about him like you, so I think he`s underrated" means what?

Logically:

1. you don`t like my opinions so therefore he`s great.

2. you like "him".

3. you don`t like his Brahms but that`s non-contextual and therefore irrelevant.

Or......

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #8,667 of 9,368

So by this definition, "loads of people think about him like you, so I think he`s underrated" means what?

Logically:

1. you don`t like my opinions so therefore he`s great.

2. you like "him".

3. you don`t like his Brahms but that`s non-contextual and therefore irrelevant.

Or......

It means exactly what I said, no more no less

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #8,668 of 9,368
@perhapss said he doesn't like people who own high-end audio devices because they believe we are audio experts

Well i don't consider my self an audiophile and not even an audio expert, i am not interested into FR graphs or ohm impedance. I only trust my ears, my recordings i have collected over the years and the headphones i Own to determine an audio device's capability to reproduce as close to reality.

I consider my self more a (Classical) music Lover, My only reference ? a couple of years back i Heard the Mozart Symphony No. 41 Live in my city with Picnhas Zuckerman as conductor of the orchestra (whose name i forgot) and i have my H.V. Karajan Mozart DUO CD with symphonies 35-41 and i use that for my reference to compare device and base my pruchase or return it to amazon or whata ever store i bought it at 

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #8,669 of 9,368
  @perhapss said he doesn't like people who own high-end audio devices because they believe we are audio experts

Well i don't consider my self an audiophile and not even an audio expert, i am not interested into FR graphs or ohm impedance. I only trust my ears, my recordings i have collected over the years and the headphones i Own to determine an audio device's capability to reproduce as close to reality.

I consider my self more a (Classical) music Lover, My only reference ? a couple of years back i Heard the Mozart Symphony No. 41 Live in my city with Picnhas Zuckerman as conductor of the orchestra (whose name i forgot) and i have my H.V. Karajan Mozart DUO CD with symphonies 35-41 and i use that for my reference to compare device and base my pruchase or return it to amazon or whata ever store i bought it at 

I never said any such thing!!

I love SONY walkmans!!

Karajan`s late Mozart symphonies are great IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back