Best classical recordings...ever!
Oct 21, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #8,641 of 9,368

LOL, I hate to break it to you but the music business is show business. In addition, even many greats (Richter for example) had government support. Mainly because they can portray their country in a positive way. It isn`t ONLY Mr. Lang`s pretty hairdo that sells records. I personally don`t go for that schtick but I know some very intelligent and successful folks that like Lang Lang.

Also, despite my feelings on the subject, Lang Lang is extremely popular. I`ve seen him sell out the Musikverien large hall in Vienna with my own eyes. Not too shabby IMO.

Again, why all the attention here? If there really is someone in this thread that can "outperform" Mr. Lang than let`s see a video posted.

I again claim "piano envy". I don`t give a rat`s shnoozle who studied with whom.That`s an often used  academic  charade used to impress others in the academic music community. Music either is or is not.

Did I or anybody else for that matter say it wasn't a show business? Ludovico Einaudi sells out concert halls constantly, does this make him a great musician?

Most of us participate on this thread to share great recordings. This is the antithesis of 'piano envy', credit is given where it's due and when certain musicians or performances are not up to par we also share that knowledge. How is this anything to do with envy?

People share their teaching lineage so that others can understand from what school of learning they are from. It's far from a charade but gives quite an interesting perspective on how the respective pianist's approach is shaped, and how they approach the technical aspect as well. Liszt-Siloti school and so on...

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #8,642 of 9,368
  Maybe because he's marketed to such an extent that people get fed up? It's also quite bad for people who are new to listening to classical music, as they are often led to think (due to his popularity and renown) that he's the epitome of a fine pianist, when in fact there are many other pianists with greater musicianship. Last but not least, watching his facial contortions can be quite amusing at times, and he has a very amusing personality.

People are  "fed up" ?

confused_face_2.gif

He`s selling recordings like a pop star for crying out loud. The only people "fed up" are envious musicians and elitist listeners like me.

Besides, most of Lang Lang`s repertoire is tired and overplayed by many other musicians who themselves are also second rate IMO. Often they are trained by great artists which makes them believe that they are also great simply by association. Some of those students simply pay for the privilege and expect the world to bow to them.

My feeling is that these days, if ANYONE gets people into listening to classical music then that`s a good thing.

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #8,643 of 9,368

People are  "fed up" ?

confused_face_2.gif

He`s selling recordings like a pop star for crying out loud. The only people "fed up" are envious musicians and elitist listeners like me.

Besides, most of Lang Lang`s repertoire is tired and overplayed by many other musicians who themselves are also second rate IMO. Often they are trained by great artists which makes them believe that they are also great simply by association. Some of those students simply pay for the privilege and expect the world to bow to them.

My feeling is that these days, if ANYONE gets people into listening to classical music then that`s a good thing.

It's incredibly difficult trying to keep up with what you are getting at, as you constantly raise points that had nothing to do with what people were talking about. 

I will leave it at this: people being fed up, i.e. in this forum i.e. those who are serious listeners. So you can only be fed up with Lang Lang if you are a musician with envy. Makes little sense if any at all unless they are envious about his success rather than his ability.

Getting trained by great artists requires considerable skill to get accepted under that tutelage. Who on earth said it's money driven and these students expect the world to bow to them? I mentioned that I knew a few young students, (who were on scholarships if I may add) with considerable talents and musicianship which I personally rank above Lang Lang's. Yet somehow you think it's appropriate to make sweeping generalisations that they are stuck up and that they delude themselves into thinking that they are great... Nice one. I guess Trifonov would also fall in that category according to your logic.

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #8,644 of 9,368
Again, I stated that I personally believe that no one on this thread can outplay Lang Lang. If I am mistaken (and I would be happy to be)  
please post a video. Otherwise that`s fine too. 

The other points y`all made to my original post were clearly dealt with. 

As to the "serious listeners" bit well, to each their own IMO.

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #8,645 of 9,368

Ok so, here`s something to cure the impressionable young listeners of their illusion that LL might be representative of something great or whatever:

Maybe some of y`all "serious listeners" might get something from it as well.
Or, maybe not.

wink_face.gif

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #8,647 of 9,368
  Again, I stated that I personally believe that no one on this thread can outplay Lang Lang. If I am mistaken (and I would be happy to be)  
please post a video. Otherwise that`s fine too. 

The other points y`all made to my original post were clearly dealt with. 

As to the "serious listeners" bit well, to each their own IMO.

You didn't really deal with anything but make random assertions and start asking people to upload their videos? 

I have a few recordings of pieces that Lang Lang played, but I have no desire to compromise my personal identity on this forum nor would most people for that matter.  

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #8,648 of 9,368
  You didn't really deal with anything but make random assertions and start asking people to upload their videos? 

I have a few recordings of pieces that Lang Lang played, but I have no desire to compromise my personal identity on this forum nor would most people for that matter.  

Why not?​

Compromising your identity by revealing your artistry?
Logic fails me apparently.

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #8,650 of 9,368

Ok so, here`s something to cure the impressionable young listeners of their illusion that LL might be representative of something great or whatever:

Maybe some of y`all "serious listeners" might get something from it as well.
Or, maybe not.

wink_face.gif

He looks a lot like Lang Lang IMO.
Clearly he`s going for the same demographic.

blink.gif

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #8,651 of 9,368
Why not?​

Compromising your identity by revealing your artistry?
Logic fails me apparently.

I have no desire for approval from somebody who has been so cantankerous in the past nor am I happy with compromising my identity to such an individual. People use avatars and usernames for a reason. Welcome to the internet.

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #8,652 of 9,368
I have no desire for approval from somebody who has been so cantankerous in the past nor am I happy with compromising my identity to such an individual. People use avatars and usernames for a reason. Welcome to the internet.

I agree. Mr. Oistrakh very closely resembles Mr. Lang.
Except his music means something.

Or perhaps I should say "meant" something.

deadhorse.gif

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #8,655 of 9,368
Can we agree that not everyone has to to like certain polarizing style musicians, no matter what instrument they play?
And it doesn't matter at all if a person plays that particular instrument him or herself better than the musician in question.
No one is required to play any instrument in order to be entitled not to like a certain musician.

Polarizing is just a way to get a lot of attention. This is the way it works in every aspect of public life.
Not being in agreement over such figures is the purpose of the act. So don't get hung up on it/him.

Just let it go folks or this thread will get locked up once again.
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back