Best classical recordings...ever!
Apr 1, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #7,921 of 9,368

very eloquent his 960.

Not into Shosta just yet. Have some of his string qts on the shelf. Still have to listen to the Jansson box set of compl symphs. Just more into Bach voice, right now, with my new 14B-squared power amp on my floor sytem.  .

I think Shosty 13 would give your amp more to do than Bach voice, so give it a shot!

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #7,922 of 9,368

I think Shosty 13 would give your amp more to do than Bach voice, so give it a shot!

I agree. The best power amps however, do the first watt as well as the last watt -- delicate, low level info comes across as musically and completely as the rip roaring crescendos. For me, Mahler's 3rd is the ultimate test. It's got everything -- even vocals. My 14B is really an iron fist inside a cashmere glove. Very lucky.

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #7,923 of 9,368
  I agree. The best power amps however, do the first watt as well as the last watt -- delicate, low level info comes across as musically and completely as the rip roaring crescendos. For me, Mahler's 3rd is the ultimate test. It's got everything -- even vocals. My 14B is really an iron fist inside a cashmere glove. Very lucky.

If I were testing out an amp I would just load up my selection of M6s and go hammer-time on the mofo. On that note, I just got Levi's M6 and the hammer blows are stupendous (though with so much bass reverb it almost sounds fake). Which hammers do you all favor?

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #7,925 of 9,368
[/IMG]

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #7,929 of 9,368
It's a great performance with a lot of panache and sensual energy.

Thanks. I'm not surprised: Brendel's romanticism is often under-rated. I have fond memories of his Mendelssohn Variations sérieuses and even some Liszt from when he was younger. If anyone could reawaken Brendel's passion, it would be Beyoncé.

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #7,931 of 9,368
All the great composers begin with B. bigshot and perhapss got into a long argument about Beyoncé a couple of years back, because people disagree about Modernism.

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #7,932 of 9,368
All the great composers begin with B. bigshot and perhapss got into a long argument about Beyoncé a couple of years back, because people disagree about Modernism.

I was frankly getting quite fed up with Brendel's insistence on the German Austro Hungarian traditions. It's a breath of fresh air that he has finally started to explore more avant-garde works of music. Versatility, and the willingness to continually challenge his creative capacity, now that is the hallmark of a great artist.

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #7,933 of 9,368
It's a great performance with a lot of panache and sensual energy.

I was frankly getting quite fed up with Brendel's insistence on the German Austro Hungarian traditions. It's a breath of fresh air that he has finally started to explore more avant-garde works of music. Versatility, and the willingness to continually challenge his creative capacity, now that is the hallmark of a great artist.

Sensual, for sure. 

Brendel was always a great artist imo, and this confirms it. Old age can stimulate passion/experimentation ahem.

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #7,934 of 9,368
I listened to Arrau play Chopin's 4 Ballades. Really enjoyed these. Never appreciated his Chopin til now. Have his nocturnes as well, and those were also very relaxing night music.

4785691.jpg

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #7,935 of 9,368
  I listened to Arrau play Chopin's 4 Ballades. Really enjoyed these. Never appreciated his Chopin til now. Have his nocturnes as well, and those were also very relaxing night music.

4785691.jpg

I love his preludes recording from 1960 live from prague. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back