Best classical recordings...ever!
Apr 3, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #7,951 of 9,368
(I think I might be a Sokolov fanboy but I have yet to come across something he doesn't play in a completely unique style without losing effectiveness)

Definitely confirms my suspicions. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #7,953 of 9,368
  rare to listen classic, but I get these CD today...
jecklinsmile.gif

Brendel/Trout/Cleveland is very nice recording. Gilels did one too, with the Amadeus. Better than Brendel, imo.

Can't quite make out the first album, my vision....

617cX9L61kL._SY355_.jpg

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #7,957 of 9,368

rare to listen classic, but I get these CD today...
jecklinsmile.gif

Brendel/Trout/Cleveland is very nice recording. Gilels did one too, with the Amadeus. Better than Brendel, imo.

Can't quite make out the first album, my vision....

It is Vivaldi's  Four Seasons Played by Felix Ayo and I Musici. A well known Philips recording. Very good sonics and interpretation.  

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #7,959 of 9,368
(I think I might be a Sokolov fanboy but I have yet to come across something he doesn't play in a completely unique style without losing effectiveness)

I don't see any Ravel in his Discography on All Music, http://www.allmusic.com/artist/grigory-sokolov-mn0002214879/discography

Is that mainly stuff he only plays live? Has anyone got the Salzburg Recitals? The Telegraph raved about it.

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #7,960 of 9,368

I don't see any Ravel in his Discography on All Music, http://www.allmusic.com/artist/grigory-sokolov-mn0002214879/discography

Is that mainly stuff he only plays live? Has anyone got the Salzburg Recitals? The Telegraph raved about it.

Looks that way. Couldn't find any Ravel on disc. Just Scriabin, Strav, LvB, Chopin, Brahms, Schubert, the usual suspects....

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #7,961 of 9,368

He only records live

There is a YouTube live recording of him playing Gaspard when he was young awesome

The Salzburg is great, just get it great repertoire and really enjoyed his hammerklavier

Sorry I meant the Mozart, above I was referring to his album that recently came out

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #7,964 of 9,368
I can see that. On the other hand, the over-use of the pedals for non-romantic music is one of the things that can irk a purist. 

I'm listening to a-mid 1980s set of Paul Badura Skoda playing some late Mozart Sonatas on a Fortepiano now, and while at times the upper ranges are just a bit sharper than I would like, it is really an interesting way to hear Mozart. The music does make a lot of sense this way. Somehow, it almost makes the music sound a bit too mellow when you go back to a modern piano recording. To me the piano forte also enhances the odd harmonics that Mozart used, when he played around with effects, thus heightening the tension between his usually orthodox main melodies and his fairly exotic supporting harmonies. If you switch over to a Barenboim recording, for instance, all of a sudden it's like someone just turned on a bed-time lullaby, and the nuances are just kind of soaked up into the tonally fatter sound of the modern grand concert piano. 

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #7,965 of 9,368
  I can see that. On the other hand, the over-use of the pedals for non-romantic music is one of the things that can irk a purist. 

I'm listening to a-mid 1980s set of Paul Badura Skoda playing some late Mozart Sonatas on a Fortepiano now, and while at times the upper ranges are just a bit sharper than I would like, it is really an interesting way to hear Mozart. The music does make a lot of sense this way. Somehow, it almost makes the music sound a bit too mellow when you go back to a modern piano recording. To me the piano forte also enhances the odd harmonics that Mozart used, when he played around with effects, thus heightening the tension between his usually orthodox main melodies and his fairly exotic supporting harmonies. If you switch over to a Barenboim recording, for instance, all of a sudden it's like someone just turned on a bed-time lullaby, and the nuances are just kind of soaked up into the tonally fatter sound of the modern grand concert piano. 

I agree with your description of Mozart's Pf sonatas. Good insights.

I have toyed with getting B-S's set of Schubert sonatas, played on his personal collection of orig pianos. I listened to some tracks sometime ago. I was stunned by the clarity. But put off completely by the lack of depth of the deeper bass notes (esp. important for the D.960 !), and the thinness of the higher notes. Somehow, the pianoforte doesn't suit my ears, for Schubert (and for Mozart too). I have Schiff's single CD of Mozart piano pieces (see below; some sonatas, and smaller pieces), played on Mozart's own piano, in the room where he was born (Mozart, not Schiff lol). Somehow, that pf forte sounded a bit fuller than the ones I have heard on disc. But still a far cry from modern pianos. I am just too conditioned to a deeper, richer tonality, that's all.

I may still give B-S's Schubert set another listen on Presto or some other site.

MI0001045462.jpg

81DqlTFiRgL._SL1500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back