Best classical recordings...ever!
Apr 2, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #7,936 of 9,368
basshead.gif

Apr 2, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #7,937 of 9,368
I've been toying with getting this Brendel Beeth set, his last cycle, rec in digital.

61Ssmma7GIL._SS160_.jpg

I have his set recorded from 1970-77.

How does the digital third cycle compare to his '70s cycle?

Apr 2, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #7,938 of 9,368
Triggered by this post about the "Annees de Pelerinage"

I have the same problem, the man was simply too prolific. Instead of buying his complete works and burying myself in romantic piano pieces for a year or so I choose my Liszt more or less erratically. For example, the other day I read this fantastic book http://www.amazon.com/Colorless-Tsukuru-Tazaki-Years-Pilgrimage/dp/0804170126. In it the main charakter, listens almost obsessively to the following record

A great recording by the way. Higlhly recommended. 

I got a complete set by Louis Lortie (Chandos, 2011). I listened last night for the first time. Got the book, too btw....

He plays on a Fazioli. I am not sure if I do have any other recordings made using the same brand piano and it has just not been noted. I haven't made up my mind if I like it or hate it. Difficult to describe for a non-expert but it sounds that there is somehow more resonance than usual (with Steinway I suppose). During Annee Suisse: in medium passages it sounds like the instrument is breathing in and out while notes are fading. In louder passages it sounds like it is just on step short of breaking down, as the entire body becomes so resonant. I am not sure if this is a typical characteristic of Faziolis or if this is a technical issue of this recording.

Does anyone also have the Lortie recording or can describe how the Fazioli is supposed to sound?
I remember uchihaitachi saying they sound great but are hard to maintain in good shape.

Apr 2, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #7,940 of 9,368

I got a complete set by Louis Lortie (Chandos, 2011). I listened last night for the first time. Got the book, too btw....

He plays on a Fazioli. I am not sure if I do have any other recordings made using the same brand piano and it has just not been noted. I haven't made up my mind if I like it or hate it. Difficult to describe for a non-expert but it sounds that there is somehow more resonance than usual (with Steinway I suppose). During Annee Suisse: in medium passages it sounds like the instrument is breathing in and out while notes are fading. In louder passages it sounds like it is just on step short of breaking down, as the entire body becomes so resonant. I am not sure if this is a typical characteristic of Faziolis or if this is a technical issue of this recording.

Does anyone also have the Lortie recording or can describe how the Fazioli is supposed to sound?
I remember uchihaitachi saying they sound great but are hard to maintain in good shape.

I have the set by Berman. Still on the fence -- if anything, the pieces in the third series sound appealling to my ears.

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #7,943 of 9,368

They use pyramidal supports under the strings rather than flat, so there is much more resonance compared to same sized pianos. 

What you describe seems pretty spot on. Angela hewitt is a fazioli artist why don't you hear her more recent recordings?

There are quite a few HD videos on youtube of trifonov and other competition pianists playing on faziolis

Apr 2, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #7,946 of 9,368
Apr 2, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #7,947 of 9,368
  They use pyramidal supports under the strings rather than flat, so there is much more resonance compared to same sized pianos.
What you describe seems pretty spot on. Angela hewitt is a fazioli artist why don't you hear her more recent recordings?
There are quite a few HD videos on youtube of trifonov and other competition pianists playing on faziolis

Thanks for the technical background, much appreciated. I will check out some Hewitt recordings.

I heard Trifonov live in Avery Fisher Hall last year (Rachmaninov) and I was not impressed. It seemed he was trying to get through w/o mistakes, kind of rushed. But for such a young artist a work like that can seem like a mountain. He will gain more stature over time, if he's not burned out to fast, that is. Anyway I don't exactly recall the piano but given the location, I am relatively certain it was a Steinway.

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #7,950 of 9,368
Sokolov plays Rameau exceptionally well as well as his Goldberg

(I think I might be a Sokolov fanboy but I have yet to come across something he doesn't play in a completely unique style without losing effectiveness)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back