Best classical recordings...ever!
Mar 28, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #7,891 of 9,368
  Gosh hwangsa is horrendous almost an environmental langlang phenomenon 

Good metaphor IMO.

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #7,893 of 9,368
For that price ($24.09 new, 16 CD box) this is almost too good to be passed on.
I you don't have a lot of Mahler recordings already that this box will duplicate, then there is nothing to go wrong here.

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #7,894 of 9,368

I agree -- at the price, this is definitely worth grabbing if you are in the market for a "everything in one box" set.
I keep this box at work so that I always have a complete set of Mahler close at hand, and then supplement it by bringing in other recordings from home.

Several of the recordings are considered classics and I would put them very close to the top of my list as well.
These include Klemperer's Symphony #2 and Das Lied Von Der Erde, Tennstedt's  Symphonies #5 and #8, and Szell's Das Knaben Wunderhorn. 

Barbirolli's Symphonies #6 and #9 are also considered classics. I like both performances, but would rank them lower in my affections. 
Horenstein's Symphony #4 is very good, but I prefer a number of other recordings (including Szell, Maazel, Fischer). 
Giulini's Symphony #1 is respectable, but too pondering for my taste.
The lieder recordings are all among the very best. 

IMHO, the box leans a little too heavily on Simon Rattle.
Rattle's Symphony #10 and Das Klagende lead are both excellent. Both were my introductions to those works, even if I now prefer Chailly on DG.
Rattle's Symphonies #3 and #7 are  fine, especially if you are just starting to explore Mahler, but not at the same high level as the majority of the box. 

But at the price, go for it and then just supplement with other recordings for particular works. Enjoy! 

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #7,897 of 9,368
There are some exquisite recordings of the faure chamber works with the guarneri quartet and other musicians + rubinstein
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #7,898 of 9,368
  There are some exquisite recordings of the faure chamber works with the guarneri quartet and other musicians + rubinstein
biggrin.gif

You mean this one? It's on my streaming playlist. Looking forward to it. Also on the playlist is Rubinstein + Paganini Quartet.
The op.15 is an incredible piece of music too, I was tempted to post it together with the op.115 above. Love how there are twists in musical styles in the different movements. Very pleasant surprises.

His string quartet is profound too, but I need more time with it.

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #7,903 of 9,368

biggrin.gif

You mean this one? It's on my streaming playlist. Looking forward to it. Also on the playlist is Rubinstein + Paganini Quartet.
The op.15 is an incredible piece of music too, I was tempted to post it together with the op.115 above. Love how there are twists in musical styles in the different movements. Very pleasant surprises.

His string quartet is profound too, but I need more time with it.

Now, I love Rubinstein, he is my favorite pianist, but when it comes to Faure I must recommend a true expert

http://www.charlin-disques.com/

Germain Thyssens-Valentin, a Faure pupil who recorded late in life the master's complete oeuvre for piano and the chamber music with piano. The recordings were produced by the legendary Andre Charlin in a strict binaural technique, so they are ideal for headhphone listening. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #7,904 of 9,368
Thanks all for these - Looks like I'm going to have to budget for more music now. I had a delicious nap this afternoon feet up at my desk with this music playing in my ears. Woke up to another recommendation
beerchug.gif
 I have Quatuor Ysaÿe + Pascal Roge's recording listed to check out too..

So much left to discover...  added to the list of reasons to get up in the morning / not go to sleep at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back