Best cheap earphone to go
Sep 18, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #31 of 44
I got the CX300 from an Amazon reseller called Blue Skies Electronics @ $20. I'll post soon if Senn accepted the rebate from them.

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #32 of 44
Sep 18, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #33 of 44
Get Sony MDR-EX85. Same as MDR-EX90 but plastic instead of aluminium. It's a mini MDR-V6/7506 in your ear for less than $70. All of those mention earphones are just plain "filler". CX300 and EP360 is a better choice, but not as good as MDR-EX85. They just don't sound good but they look very natural and aesthetically pleasing compare to plastic colorful toy looking headphones.

Sep 19, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #35 of 44
I've had both the Marshmallows and the Freqs. I preferred the Freqs (clearer mids than JVCs, less boomy bass) standard, but once I swapped to Shure black olive tips on the Marshmallows (I suppose making them not marshmallow anymore) they edged it. The Marshmallows are dirt cheap and really quite tough - the V-Modas only lasted about six months, but I've had the JVCs for a couple of years, they've been everywhere with me (dropped, stood on, caught in bag straps and yanked out of my ears etc...) and they're still A1.

All that said though, I'm using some AT ATH CKM50s now and they're clearly the best so far for me. I'd recommend them to anyone, but about 50 bucks might be getting a bit pricey for comparison purposes.

Marshmallows for super-cheap, ATs for a little bit more
atsmile.gif

Sep 19, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #36 of 44
Does anybody know if you can also use Black olives for the CX300? Can you also use them with the Etys? How's that? For what I've seen, the JVC's phones are much wider than the Etys, I would say they are as wider as the CX300... is that true?

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #37 of 44
I can't comment on the ERs or the CX300s, but they went straight on the Marshmallows no bother. They're a tight fit, but it's easily done, so if the other phones are narrower it should be straightforward.

Sep 29, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #39 of 44
I just received the OK from the Rebate HQ. So, even I bought from a reseller in Amazon (called Blue Skies Electronics), they are mailing my $15 check for a CX300 that I paid $20... incredible.

If you don't buy from Blue Skies, I suggest you to give a call to the rebate center to double check if the seller is in a black list:
1-866-445-9903

Rebate ends TOMORROW!

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninety /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had both the Marshmallows and the Freqs. I preferred the Freqs (clearer mids than JVCs, less boomy bass) standard, but once I swapped to Shure black olive tips on the Marshmallows (I suppose making them not marshmallow anymore) they edged it.

Do you need to remove the grey tube from the JVCs to fit the olives?

(marshmallows... olives... what food will we be sticking in our ears next!
biggrin.gif
)

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #42 of 44
Adeptus - yes, I just pulled off the grey tubes with a pair of pliers. They're a nice tight fit, but not so tight I needed to heat them up or anything.

Clincher09 - any old earpad foam should do I think. I found changing the tips to the olives to reduce the amount of bass (and isolation), but not by too much and the increase in control was more than worth it. Here's a link to Kramer's original thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jvc-fx33-mod-223642/

Oct 2, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #44 of 44
I never found the highs to get distorted at all (assuming the recording itself wasn't distorted and I wasn't at silly volume) so I don't know. All I can say is that the highs weren't distorted pre-mod and they're not distorted now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back