Best CD you have that no one has heard of
Jan 27, 2003 at 7:09 AM Post #46 of 116
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over the Sea

MmmMmmMmmmMmmm. Best album I heard in 2001, and just about takes the top of my list of all time, and hardly anyone has ever heard of it. Time to listen to it for the first time on my new headphones
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2003 at 7:47 AM Post #47 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by MadMax
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over the Sea

Excellent album! I discovered it about two months ago and it absolutely blew me away.
Utterly brilliant and at the same time instantly accessable. Anne Frank fans should definately check this one out.
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2003 at 12:09 PM Post #50 of 116
Boredoms? Anyone heard them? No one I know has heard them.

vision creation newsun

Melt-Banana, anyone?

MxBx 1998: 13,000 miles at light velocity, Teeny Shiny, Charlie, and i'm probably going to like Scratch or Stitch, too. They are recording a new album at the moment I think, and released a 6" called '666'. GOOD STUFF.

Unless you're a kiwi/aussie, you probably haven't heard Shihad before, 'The general electric' is good. love it.

Jan 29, 2003 at 12:51 PM Post #51 of 116
Bill Laswell/Mick Harris Somnific Flux

d51657ssr8h.jpg

An hour of the deepest, darkest ambient ever laid out on CD. Also, Sleep Research Facility's Nostromo,

slerf-n.jpg

a contender for the best dark ambient album, it is an homage to the first ten minutes of the movie Alien, a walk through of the five decks of the Nostromo, clearly a marvelous CD for sleepy time.......

Higher Intelligence Agency's Freefloater,

d85568t0mx3.jpg

geometric ambient dub chillout music PERFECT for before, during, or after an entheogenic experience.

Jan 31, 2003 at 2:36 AM Post #52 of 116
Camel-A Nod and a Wink-2002

Progressive rock with soul and feeling. Camel has been around for 30+ years. If you like Fragile by Yes, Wind and Wuthering and Foxtrot by Genesis...really it's an insult to Camel to compare them to these bands!

Jan 31, 2003 at 4:23 AM Post #53 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by butteredSideDown
Christian Fennesz, Jim O'Rourke & Peter Rehberg - The Return of Fenn O' Berg.
Live improvised electronica by three guys with laptops. The live show must have been rather boring but the music aint.

I have plenty of other obscure stuff that no-one I know has ever heard of, although I'm sure there will be a few people here who have.

Hey, I'm a fellow obscure electronica fan. I've heard of that Fenn O'Berg CD, but haven't heard it. The only Mego disc I own is Kevin Drumm's "Sheer Hellish Miasma," actually (which, BTW, is absolutely insane - one of the best noise CDs I've ever heard!)

I'm used to nobody knowing what kind of music it is that I listen to. It gets old, though. The amount of people with whom I can discuss the full range of music I listen to (in real life, not the internet) can be counted on the fingers of one hand..
frown.gif

- Chris

Jan 31, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #54 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry
Also, Sleep Research Facility's Nostromo,

slerf-n.jpg

a contender for the best dark ambient album, it is an homage to the first ten minutes of the movie Alien, a walk through of the five decks of the Nostromo, clearly a marvelous CD for sleepy time.......

Jeff - you NEED to check out Inade's "Aldebaran." Coincidentally, it's also on Cold Spring. Label press: Quote:

[size=x-small]The new masters of Black Ambient! "Aldebaran" - the black sun of the secret knowledge. This work focuses on the German Vril society myths of 'Aldebaran', from which universal spirituality is said to originate. One hour of immense walls of dark, brooding atmospherics, pulsating anthems of the universal power, mixing with themes of heritage and history, The ultimate document of dark moving ambient. CD album in beautiful, full colour, double foldout digipack.[/size]

You can buy it here. Again, this comes with my highest recommendations.

- Chris

Jan 31, 2003 at 4:59 AM Post #55 of 116
Jan 31, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #56 of 116
Have Moicy! Michael Hurley, the Unholy Modal Rounders (Peter Stampfel) and Jeffrey Fredericks and the Clamtones

Probably one of the looniest CD's ever made...and one of the best. Roots music completely out of control. Extremely well recorded and always fun to listen to. There may actually be people that have heard of this one tho
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2003 at 5:06 AM Post #57 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
How about this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...090201-6207010

I just found out about them recently via a friend, pretty cool cd.

Guh... The Faint. Electroclash. What a ****ty term for a ****ty trend.

Get some real electro! Anthony Rother, Kraftwerk, Mr. Velcro Fastener, Carl Finlow... otherwise stay away from Fischerspooner, anything that has the word "Miss Kittin" on it, Ladytron, or the Faint. Evil, evil trendbopper madness.

- Chris

Jan 31, 2003 at 7:59 AM Post #58 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Hey, I'm a fellow obscure electronica fan. I've heard of that Fenn O'Berg CD, but haven't heard it. The only Mego disc I own is Kevin Drumm's "Sheer Hellish Miasma," actually (which, BTW, is absolutely insane - one of the best noise CDs I've ever heard!)

I'm used to nobody knowing what kind of music it is that I listen to. It gets old, though. The amount of people with whom I can discuss the full range of music I listen to (in real life, not the internet) can be counted on the fingers of one hand..
frown.gif

- Chris

Return of Fenn O'Berg is worth a listen. Because of the improvisational nature of the music it's not something that one could really listen to often. It is a very interesting listen that I break out once in a while.
Christian Fennesz's solo stuff is very nice.

I'll basically listen to anything obscure and lesser known. I generally shy away from more popular music (the more the general public likes something, the less I do).

Jan 31, 2003 at 8:25 AM Post #60 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Guh... The Faint. Electroclash. What a ****ty term for a ****ty trend.

Get some real electro! Anthony Rother, Kraftwerk, Mr. Velcro Fastener, Carl Finlow... otherwise stay away from Fischerspooner, anything that has the word "Miss Kittin" on it, Ladytron, or the Faint. Evil, evil trendbopper madness.

- Chris

confused.gif

trendbopper? Electroclash? Who makes up these bogus "sub genres" up anyway? I never heard of any of the artists you mentioned minus Kraftwerk, i'll give them a listen though, i've been leaning towards more "new wave" or whatever genre of music New Order falls under. I really have this gnawing for some obscure 80's new wave.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back