Best CD you have that no one has heard of
Jan 31, 2003 at 3:36 PM Post #61 of 116
Quote:

i've been leaning towards more "new wave" or whatever genre of music New Order falls under. I really have this gnawing for some obscure 80's new wave.

usually classified as synthpop (though the argument can be made that new order isn't truly synthpop). that's pretty much what i listen to. i gotta give props to kraftwerk, as they're a big influence on the genre.

Jan 31, 2003 at 8:18 PM Post #62 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by skippy
usually classified as synthpop (though the argument can be made that new order isn't truly synthpop). that's pretty much what i listen to. i gotta give props to kraftwerk, as they're a big influence on the genre.

Cool man, i gotta give these guys a listen
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2003 at 10:19 AM Post #63 of 116
Quote:

there's this new band/group called the postal service.. made up of dntel and ben gibbard (death cab for cutie).. the album comes out around feb 23rd i think.. it sounds a lot like glitched out and heavily upgraded 80s synth pop.. similar to stuff falco was working on.. i really think it will be one of the best albums of this year.. check it out if you can find it or try and pick it up in the record stores in a few weeks.. i promise you won't be disappointed!! its being released by subpop so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Feb 1, 2003 at 10:28 AM Post #64 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
confused.gif

trendbopper? Electroclash? Who makes up these bogus "sub genres" up anyway?

I forget where "electroclash" popped up... but it's a wretched term! If you see it, stay away! It's definitely just a cheesy cash-in attempt at reviving sleazy 80s synthpop. Those artists I listed before are a lot less unintentionally cheesy, though.

- Chris

Feb 1, 2003 at 2:56 PM Post #65 of 116
there are still a lot of bands around doing the synthpop. some bands are doing new things and mixing it with other genres, and others do the whole retro 80's thing. i wouldn't call 80's synthpop sleazy (some people would even say that kraftwerk did some synthpop), although i wouldn't argue with you if you called those electroclash bands sleazy. i've heard bands like ladytron, and i guess they do seem to be doing it just because it's 'trendy.' from what i've heard the members don't even like synthpop. the focus seems to be more about taking 80's synthpop references and making fun of them.

here's an interesting explanation of electroclash i stumbled on this morning:
http://www.phinnweb.com/313ctr0/elec...sh/index2.html

Feb 2, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #66 of 116
Hood - Cold House

I'll let you read AMG's review, as I suck at describing why I like about this band/album.

Quote:

f03251iamjk.jpg

Moving closer to their goal of blending beep-and-click electronica with the exotic tunefulness of space rock, Cold House is a cold and delicate examination of isolation. Hood creates unique and interesting variations on melodies while taking dirty, lo-fi beats to carry them. The guitar work is extremely minimal, drawing attention to the thin and frightened vocals that seem to haunt the songs more than take part in them. The dark and droning "They Removed All Trace That Anything Had Ever Happened Here" is a beautiful shuffle that begins the disc with an urgency that plays off of the band's natural melancholy. "This Is What We Do to Sell Out(s)" is a manic, ambitious collection of beats that contains some of the most depressed vocals this side of Codeine. But Hood's unique burps and skips are at their best on "The River Curls Around the Town," where everything stutters and stops without warning, parts of the song just start to go backwards, and the guitar part jumps from channel to channel while horns play in the background. Drummer Stephen Royle is the hidden weapon on this album; the music revolves around his phenomenal pounding in a graceful battle of rhythm and atmosphere. Although Hood sounded like this long before Radiohead experimented with electronica, Cold House is the next step toward the icy-cold future of alternative rock that Kid A forecasted. Like any good experimental rock album, this may take time to grow on a casual listener. But it's a rewarding experience to hear bands like this break and bend the boundaries of modern pop and twist it into their own glitch-filled vision. — Bradley Torreano

Feb 2, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #67 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by XzeroR3
Hood - Cold House

I'll let you read AMG's review, as I suck at describing why I like about this band/album.

This sounds like a very interesting album, especially if it's heavier on the glitch-tronica than on the rock. Hmm...

- Chris

Feb 2, 2003 at 6:45 AM Post #68 of 116
Quote:

there are still a lot of bands around doing the synthpop.

Yeah, I know. Most of them really piss me off because for whatever reason lots of people call them "industrial" music (Apoptygma Berzerk, VNV Nation, even Mesh) ... that's irritating to no end. But that's another story... Quote:

the focus seems to be more about taking 80's synthpop references and making fun of them.

Yeah, that's basically electroclash in a nutshell. But people have been making "electro" for a while. "Electro" (sans the "clash") is influenced a lot more by early hip-hop from the 80s (Mantronix, Kurtis Blow, BDP) and early Detroit techno. It doesn't really sound/feel like synthpop. These are the guys who aren't selling out.
biggrin.gif

- Chris

Feb 4, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #69 of 116
Darrell Nulisch, The Whole Truth

Gutsy blues from a white guy (!) who's been around the block a few times. It's got heartfelt singing, and a cookin' backup band. The mix is somewhat bass-heavy, but it's clean.

Feb 7, 2003 at 4:58 AM Post #71 of 116
If I were being shipped away to an island and could only take a lifetime's worth of food, my fiance, or a solar powered CD player and these esoteric CD's:

Arab Strap - Philophobia
Clinic - Internal Wrangler
Junetile - All Things (Un)Clear
Charlene - Charlene
The Promise Ring - Wood/Water
Mogwai - Young Team

I'm sorry, the CD's just have to come with.

wink.gif

Feb 7, 2003 at 10:25 AM Post #72 of 116
Belgrade massive frontrunners:

Eyesburn - "Fool Control"
Eyesburn - "GABAU!" (EP)
Ank Steady meets Eyesburn - "Cool Fire"

Think of Bob Marley in his hard core phase. Reggae trombone melodies supported with dirty guitar bites and crazy drum work. Plus, the lyrics are in English, so you might even understand something.
wink.gif

Check out their "Exodus" cover:
http://www.metropolisrecords.co.yu/audio/audio.html

And three excellent pieces of their original work:
http://www.wahwah.co.yu/mp3/

Feb 8, 2003 at 1:04 AM Post #73 of 116
rasputina- How we quit the forest

Chicks in vintage lingerie playing amplified distorted cellos. The only person I know who likes them is the guy who introduced me to them.

Feb 8, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #74 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by Pepsione1
K's Choice - Almost Happy
Ooberman - Running Girl

Seriously, has anyone heard of them before? They are very very good.

Heard of K's Choice?. Yes off course. Sarah Bettens and her brother right? From Belgium.
Not An Addict (from Paradise in Me) was a big top 40 hit in Belgium and the Netherlands.
They played in a Buffy episode. I don't remenber which episode though.
Never heard one of their albums though.

As for what I would recomment.

Jan James - Last Train
I like her other albums too. 'Color Of The Rose' and 'Soul Desire'
It's blues rock. A bit like Janis Joplin but different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back