Best CD you have that no one has heard of
Jan 23, 2003 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 116

BoardC3

500+ Head-Fier
I thought that there were so many CD's ive heard that are great but most likely will never see the light day anywhere else around the country that i needed to post this. Im hoping that through this thread people will discover great music that theyve previously missed.

PICK THAT EVERYONE SHOULD HEAR

Athenaeum - Radiance
it is the best cd ive ever heard IMO but im betting that there are about 2 or 3 people of everyone here that have even heard of this band. All of their CD's are great but this one everyone MUST hear.

Now im hoping that i get some good suggestions

Jan 23, 2003 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 116
This is a great idea for a thread, but it would help if you could provide at least some general description of the type of music associated with the cd.

My recommendation, something I have found no one else who knows of, a release from about ten years ago, by a Canadian artist who, to my knowledge, never made another cd. I came across it by accident and loved it. It has overtones of very good Peter Gabriel material at times, though its no copycat.

Scott Merritt - Violet and Black - IRSD-82017 - Duke Street Records

I am sure its long out of print, but it might be findable somewhere.

Jan 23, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 116
Ozzie Kotani-To Honor a Queen The Music of Lili'uokalani

Queen Lili'uokalani (1838-1917) wrote many wonderful songs ideally suited for slack key guitar, Hawaii's beautiful solo guitar tradition. To honor the Queen and her musical legacy, the great slack key guitarist Ozzie Kotani performs thirteen solo instrumental arrangements of the Queen's melodies, ranging from classics known around the world, to beautiful rarities.

Played from the heart and soul through the fingers, and flowing with vivid tropical images, Hawaiian slack key is one of the world's great acoustic guitar traditions.

In slack key, players usually tune down some of the strings from the Standard guitar tuning. The bass is played with the thumb while the other fingers play the melody and improvisation in a finger-picked style. The roots of slack key can be traced to the 1830's, when the guitar was brought to the Islands by Spanish and Mexican cowboys. The Hawaiians quickly adopted the guitar into their culture, creating many ingenious tunings to suit their music, often to match a vocal range.

Jan 23, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 116
I believe most things on the audiodregs label are fairly obscure, but someone please stop me if you've heard this:

The Grace Period - Dynasty

This album makes great use of some party-ish samples and sets it against some great organic (drum-set sounding) beats and ambient sounds. it comes together in a very cohesive fashion, and it has a distinctive recording sound (which to me, sounds very good). to put it in perspective, it is kind of like how boards of canada transports you into a realm of childhood playfulness and innocence, but instead of childhood the grace period puts you into the early to mid-20 world of parties and good times (but all in a very nostalgic and pleasant way). this is an album i have owned for over a year now, and i keep coming back to it for more.

Jan 23, 2003 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 116
Timoteus,
Slack key is an undiscovered artform. You may want to check out the bands Olomana or Hapa.
If you like Norah Jones stuff, check out Melody Diachun "Lullaby of the Leaves."
md

Jan 23, 2003 at 8:15 AM Post #8 of 116
Pat Coil - Just Ahead on Sheffield Lab

Pat Coil is one of the best contemporary Jazz pianists I have ever heard. He is accompanied by some superb backup artists for this all instrumental album. This release (like all Sheffield Lab releases) is done live to two track master and is extremely clean - one of the best recorded cd's I own.

Jan 23, 2003 at 9:58 AM Post #9 of 116
The Tea Party The Edges of Twilight

Akin to Led Zeppelin with Jim Morrison's vocals. First album is also good, more like early Zeppelin (I - III). Third and fourth albums go off in another direction.

Jan 23, 2003 at 10:16 AM Post #10 of 116
I really want to recommend Jimmy Eat World - Clarity; it's simply amazing, though I believe that it's been recommended here before. (was it by you, grinch?) Plus I think many people already know of this band.

So instead I deem all of you should go out and buy:
Bad Astronaut - Houston We Have A Drinking Problem

This is, well, spacey rock. That's the best way I can think of describing it. The vocalist/guitarist/lyricist is Joey Cape, frontman of Lagwagon. If you don't know who Joey Cape is, shame on you. Anything he touches is gold IMO, but try this for yourself, it's an awesome CD.

dhwilkin: What a beautiful CD cover! I'll definitely have to check that CD out. Thanks
biggrin.gif

e251598eyik.jpg

Jan 23, 2003 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 116
One of my favourite CDs and has been a regular in my discman ever since purchasing it is:

LUCY KAPLANSKY - Every Single Day

From www.allmusic.com

e932617r0ap.jpg

Lucy Kaplansky is a talented songwriter and a delightful singer who suffers somewhat from one or two of the afflictions that are endemic to modern folk-rock singer/songwriters — chief among them Irritating Vowel Syndrome, which can cause one to pronounce "sky" as "skeh-ee" and "heart" as if one had grown up in Maine. (Kaplansky seems to have caught this disease from Dar Williams, with whom she sometimes collaborates and who is in its advanced stages.)

Those tendencies are easy to ignore on this gorgeous album, though, which floats deliriously on a bed of lush chord progressions, gently powerful guitar work (courtesy of an all-star cast of backing musicians that includes Larry Campbell and Jon Herington), and Kaplansky's own sweet, unassumingly lovely voice.

Her own compositions are consistently very good, but she also exhibits fine taste in others' work as well, delivering covers of Steve Earle's excellent "You're Still Standing There," Julie Miller's "Broken Things," and, most surprisingly, an old Louvin Brothers gospel tune. John Gorka and Richard Shindell pitch in low harmonies at perfect moments. Very, very nice.

Sound As Ever

Jan 23, 2003 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 116
Songs of Chivalary - Martin Best Ensemble

Amazon info here

Pieced together from music of the 13th and 14th century. Very interesting and complex music that sounds great with headphones. Also has excellent liner notes.

Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 116
Im really enjoying Ayla, even though i havent really gotten into techno before so i suggest other check that out. Ive heard boy hits car before and i think its pretty good but not great IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back