Best CD you have that no one has heard of
Aug 3, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #91 of 116
Album: Vocalcity

Artist: Luomo (aka Vladislav Delay)

A fine example of microhouse. Its richness with subtle details (ambient noise, sighs, clicks, cuts, recessed, fragmented vocals, etc.) make it one of a kind.

Aug 4, 2003 at 5:28 AM Post #92 of 116
ls20 -- thanks, but I already got it.
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Gah... no. Gotta disagree with you here, Dusty. Electroclash is trash. (That rhymed.) It's sleazy, cheap, but it thinks it's doing something new and exciting.

No, it doesn't. That's exactly my point. It's just guilty-pleasure fun. I think if I were a big famous rock star, I'd have a secret electroclash side project just because I could. Meh to your gah, I think we gotta just "agree to disagree".

Quote:

I'm afraid not. Give me Drexciya and Dopplereffekt circa 1995 over any "electroclash" and I will be much, much happier.

Dusty, are you familiar with the aforementioned (Drexciya, Dopplereffekt, Japanese Telecom, Abstract Thought, Transllusion, etc.)? If not, you should check them out. They're much more "purist" and experimental than today's electroclash artists, but they're also much more interesting, IMO.

I will, definitely. You haven't steered me wrong yet. But I'll still listen to my electroclash party fun. Quote:

Oh yeah... Dusty, while you're reading this, check out this label (totally off-topic, but still): Beta-Lactam Ring -- a wonderful experimental label. I recommend you check out Martijn de Kleer's "So Close Yet So Far Out" ... I think you'd dig it enormously.

L, yeah, I'm a Pink Dots fan from way back, so I am long familiar with Beta-Lactam Ring. I get my fix from http://www.ear-rational.com/, who tends to distribute quite a bit of their stuff.

Aug 4, 2003 at 8:58 AM Post #93 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
ls20 -- thanks, but I already got it.
No, it doesn't. That's exactly my point. It's just guilty-pleasure fun. I think if I were a big famous rock star, I'd have a secret electroclash side project just because I could. Meh to your gah, I think we gotta just "agree to disagree".

Haha. Okay, I see your point. I'll concede.
smily_headphones1.gif
Yeah, if you're looking for trashy, brainless fun .. electroclash is good for that. If you're looking for intelligent and experimental, go for the more "purist" electro guys - Drexciya et al
wink.gif

Quote:

yeah, I'm a Pink Dots fan from way back, so I am long familiar with Beta-Lactam Ring. I get my fix from http://www.ear-rational.com/, who tends to distribute quite a bit of their stuff.

Cool. You will love that de Kleer album then. I gotta pick it up on CD - the vinyl pressing is rather poor...
frown.gif

- Chris

Aug 5, 2003 at 3:19 PM Post #95 of 116
KENT: this Swedish rock band is well known in Scandinavia but much less known in USA. Their lyrics are in Swedish only so that's why they don't get the press, but for me I think they are the best rock group of today that I've heard. You just cant deny the quality of their music. The played the Bowery Ball Room in NYC last year and sold out just on word of mouth.

I like their most recent CD the best. It came out in 2002.

Aug 5, 2003 at 4:49 PM Post #96 of 116
Thomas Koner's best album, Nuuk, was included in a limited edition box set (Driftworks (Big Cat)) long out of print. None of the other CDs are nearly as good as his.

Other artists in the set: Paul Schutz, Pauline Oliveros, Randy Raine-Reusch and Njiumu.

Other contenders:

Arne Nordheim -- Electric (Rune Grammophon).

Kurt Schwitters -- Ursonaten (Wergo) (eccentric wax recording of a one-man art movement's a capella sound poetry).

Aki Onda -- Precious Moments.

Ekkehard Ehlers -- This (fallt).

Barbara Morgenstern --Vermona ET 6-1 (Monika).

gruppo di improvvisazione nuova consonanza -- musica su schemi (ampersand).

Aug 6, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #97 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
Thomas Koner's best album, Nuuk, was included in a limited edition box set (Driftworks (Big Cat)) long out of print. None of the other CDs are nearly as good as his.

Other artists in the set: Paul Schutz, Pauline Oliveros, Randy Raine-Reusch and Njiumu.

Actually, I have that, and I really like the Paul Schutze disk.

Aug 6, 2003 at 9:02 AM Post #98 of 116
If you like the John Mayer sound, you might check out a guy named Bebo Norman. He is a Christian artist, and his songs sound awesome. My favorite album of his is "Ten Thousand Days." Its even in HDCD, so that's kind of a cool little bonus.

Aug 6, 2003 at 2:15 PM Post #99 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Actually, I have that, and I really like the Paul Schutze disk.

I wish I did as well, since I own the cvnting beast. Perhaps I'll give it a vorpal twiddle in your honor despite your voluntarily listening to the gushes and rants of people who think that IDM, however good some of it might be, is the most savory (excuse me -- "extreme") pinch in the gumbo of music history. I like autechre and VS too, but there's no point in people making ridiculous claims about the radical originality of what, ultimately, is music with a shelf life.

Aug 7, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #100 of 116
I highly reccomend "finally we are no one" and "yesterday was dramatic, today is ok" by múm these two albums are like if sigur ros and autechre had babies....good babies
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #102 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
I wish I did as well, since I own the cvnting beast. Perhaps I'll give it a vorpal twiddle in your honor despite your voluntarily listening to the gushes and rants of people who think that IDM, however good some of it might be, is the most savory (excuse me -- "extreme") pinch in the gumbo of music history. I like autechre and VS too, but there's no point in people making ridiculous claims about the radical originality of what, ultimately, is music with a shelf life.

Actually, I formed my own opinions of IDM long ago, back when the Artificial Intelligence compilations came out. Besides, just because I like being introduced to new bands (to me) like Venetian Snares, doesn't mean I think they're the end-all and be-all of music -- I don't. But if something is good enough for someone to verbally bukkake all over it, then it's worth listening to for myself, if only to sample. I was introduced to Mars Volta for similar reasons, but I still ultimately form my own opinions about most music I listen to. I like Britney Spears, Pink, and Shania Twain (their music), too, so go figure.

PS Do you listen to Sound Collector magazine? I think you'd like it. It's hit-and-miss, which to me is a good thing, because it means they don't have any sacred cows.

Aug 10, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #103 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
I never heard of any of the artists you mentioned minus Kraftwerk, i'll give them a listen though, i've been leaning towards more "new wave" or whatever genre of music New Order falls under. I really have this gnawing for some obscure 80's new wave.
smily_headphones1.gif

umm... latecomer to this thread. anyways...
yeah gloco, lately i've been rediscovering a lot of 80's stuff in my collection. if you havn't picked these up yet, may i suggest these:

New Order - Power Corruption and Lies
The Cure - The Head on the Door
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Architecture and Morality (remastered reissue)
The Human League - Dare/Love and Dancing (remastered reissue)
Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle (remastered reissue)
Pet Shop Boys - Actually (remastered double disc reissue)
Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express
Echo and the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
Depeche Mode - Black Celebration
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
Public Image Ltd. - Second Edition
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Tinderbox

not all of them are from the 80's (Gary Numan and PiL are from 1979, and Kraftwerk is from 1977), none of them are obscure (well... for the most part, the average music listener would only know many of these artists as one hit wonders), but all of them are the best picks in the era.

cheers.

Aug 10, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #104 of 116
Quote:

Originally posted by Xerophase

Clinic - Internal Wrangler

how is this? i have "Walking With Thee" and i think its great.

other stuff my firends see in my collection and then go "huh? who are they???"

The Animalhouse - Ready to Receive
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - BRMC
Elbow - Asleep in the Back
Hurricane #1 - Hurricane #1
Inner Sleeve - Looking Up
Mansun - Attack of the Gray Lantern
My Vitriol - Finelines
Polak - 3X3
Red House Painters - Retrospective
Rialto - Rialto
Scout - Seemed Like a Good Idea At The Time
Six By Seven - The Things We Make

there's a lot more i cant think of right now...

Aug 14, 2003 at 5:29 PM Post #105 of 116
Hard to know if anyone's heard of these, but no one I know has...

Aim-Hinterland (Trip-hop in all the right ways. Uber-chill. Fall Break is the kind of song that gets stuck in your head for weeks)

Shpongle-Tales of the Inexpressible (probably relatively well known, but I thought it worth mentioning anyway. I call it "psychadelic ambient" but whatever it is, it makes me wish I still did drugs
tongue.gif
Check out "Once Upon the Sea of Blissful Awareness")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back