Best cans to mod?
Apr 23, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #33 of 61
to anyone who wants a cheap phone to mod
popcorn.gif

modding cups is just a lot of fun, I had a ball w/ many flavors of DT770's...Pro/250, Premium/600...this phone is a modder's dream!

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #34 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottSummers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed on these sentiments. Granted any headphone can be modded, but it's like a cost vs. benefit analysis. If i go with a cheap pair of headphones and then add mods that improve the sound but the total cost comes close to the higher price range of a pair of headphones that's sounds better than the cheap pair w/ mods.....

Then ****, why didn't i just spring for higher priced one to start and save myself the hassle?

I don't know about Damnegy, but that's what I'm essentially driving at. BUT if you guys tell me there's a pair of cans that are say below $50 and after i mod them they'll sound pretty much on par or maybe even better than a pair over $50 AND the costs of the mods are low then yeah I'll go for that one.

And that's why I'm, at least, asking everyone.

Btw, appreciate the suggestions so far and ideas.

this sounds like a pair of Krammer-modded KSC75
biggrin.gif
. $15 for one. Get 2 in case you mess 1 up like me
smily_headphones1.gif
the airy and dynamic sound got me addicted!

Quote:

I had a ball w/ many flavors of DT770's...Pro/250, Premium/600...this phone is a modder's dream!

pics please!! ur a brave man!

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #35 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to anyone who wants a cheap phone to mod
popcorn.gif

modding cups is just a lot of fun, I had a ball w/ many flavors of DT770's...Pro/250, Premium/600...this phone is a modder's dream!

Ah gotcha. Yeah those ha-rx700's sound promising. How would they (modded ha-rx700) rate against stock $50 headphones, like say k518dj's or some similarly priced senn's, denon's, or CAL?

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #36 of 61
Grados are the most fun to mod because they're terrific to begin with and the street price for a used SR60 keeps the investment low. I also happen to think the SR60 is sabotaged to keep it from competing with its more expensive siblings. If you know where to tweak, you can get incredible mileage out of it - tremendous bang for the buck.

But if you really want to get your feet wet, with the least amount of money up front, set your sights lower. Grab a $20 pair of plastic hook-hangers at Walmart. Open them up and damp them where it counts. Get rid of that ubiquitous pleather cushion, which is a total earsore. Carefully cut out the outer wrapper of this monstrosity to reveal the foam cushion beneath it. Wrapped in pleather, this cushion produces too much resonance. Unwrapped, it leaks too much bass. The perfect compromise is a wrapping in velour, which is not only soft and comfy but just thick enough to preserve the right degree of bass (while breathing just enough to avoid a mud bath).

I've made mods to the cheap Koss $4.95 specials, not well enough to make them bassy but well enough to clear up all that mud. The drivers in these cheapos are poorly matched, making them perhaps beyond hope, but I've definitely had success in turning trash into something short of treasure but loads better than what I started with. Use what you know about acoustics and loudspeaker design, as well as what you've figured out from the headphone designs of the better cans, and aim it straight at the junk pile. You'd be surprised at what you can do with your great big brain and a $20 bill.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #37 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noobiiee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pics please!!

duggehsmile.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottSummers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would they (modded ha-rx700) rate against stock $50 headphones, like say k518dj's or some similarly priced senn's, denon's, or CAL?

well, the CAL is a bass fart basically FWIR...I think you wouldn't regret modding a RX700
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #38 of 61
Quote:

duggehsmile.png

well, the CAL is a bass fart basically FWIR...I think you wouldn't regret modding a RX700
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah thanks for the info. Yeah the RX700 seems appealing, and I understand the sentiments of Bilavideo. I just want to be sure I'm not reinventing the wheel, so to speak, if I could just buy something similar from the start.

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #39 of 61
Quote:

if I were you, I'd go RX700 + tons of mods...there's a modding thread around

Quote:

duggehsmile.png

smily_headphones1.gif

Hey, thanks for the info, I may be looking at this, but there are things I do not understand (some American thing I'm not aware about, such as Dynamat, what is this? xD, etc.) So may I ask here, when I need help? :x
Actually, the RX700 would cost me 50€ from ebay... And yours looks really big, should it only be for home use? (That's what I am looking for, but in the end, I'd like something that is considerably better than my ESW9, I'm just going to train on some cheap phones

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #40 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Superlux HD681.
The HD668B are even better and require less modifications:
- rewiring with a Starquad type of cable (I used Mogami, but Canare is cheaper and works very well too)
- some basic dampening (blu-tack on the magnets and on the cups)
- replacing the stock pads with AKG velours
- installing a a foam/felt/wool ring underneath the pads (surrounding the driver units) in order to increase the distance between the ears and the drivers. This improves both comfort and sound (especially bass & soundstage).

The HD668 are great headphones in stock form and perform well above their price level.
Modified they can challenge serious cans like AKG K240DF, Senheiser HD595 or Shure SRH840.

(Sorry, I've seen this before, but only found them on ebay, for a bit out of budget, so I first let it go...)
These headphones look funny
smily_headphones1.gif
If they can be torn apart without breaking, I may take a look at this, and if those mods make them almost equal to SRH840, then it may be worth the try!
smily_headphones1.gif

The RX700 and the HD681 are definitely interesting me...

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #42 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damnegy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, okay. Lol that's quite a while ago xD when they won the world cup? :p

lol sry for the small talk everyone...

actually, when I was 6-10 yo

1998-2002

I remember being there for the 3-0 Brazil victory... ET 1 ET 2 ET 3 ZERO~!!!

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by n-ster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol sry for the small talk everyone...

actually, when I was 6-10 yo

1998-2002

I remember being there for the 3-0 Brazil victory... ET 1 ET 2 ET 3 ZERO~!!!

Lol exactly xD Seems like your french is still good, even all those years later :p
(Yes, sorry everyone...)

I'd also be interested in those gigantic pads (look comfortable :p). I think I'll start with the rx700, and then the HD681 (if I manage to sell the RX700 after modding and testing, as it is just for it that I'd buy them)

Edit : Hmm after reading the beginning of the RX700/RX900 thread, I may be looking at the RX900, for the soundstage, the vocal-friendly sound and for the instrument separation as I currently listen to acoustic, pop and light rock music (but vocal-centered)

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #45 of 61
Quote:

duggehsmile.png

smily_headphones1.gif

That's some beefy pads! Any change in SQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back