Best cans to mod?
Apr 22, 2010 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

ScottSummers

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum so please excuse any ignorance on my part.

I've been looking over some threads over the past couple of days regarding headphones within the $40-$60 price range and I've come across some that sound interesting, especially after reading how some sound even better after modding them. e.g. jvc ha-rx700.

Anyways, I'd like to hear your opinions on what's a good pair of headphones that sound really good after some easy modification. I ask for easy mods because while I'd like to try recabling, I feel like I might fck up the headphones if I tried. So what headphones offer a great value after modification within that $40-$60 price range (I'm not averse to anything lower btw.)

Many thanks.
smile.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 61
Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah damn, I would totally go with some grado's but I need a closed/circumaural set. :T
So far I'm still looking at the ha-rx700 or maybe some k81dj's unless there are better ones that beat those two before and after mods.

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottSummers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah damn, I would totally go with some grado's but I need a closed/circumaural set. :T
So far I'm still looking at the ha-rx700 or maybe some k81dj's unless there are better ones that beat those two before and after mods.

Go for it. You've seen this then right?

Modding my JVC HA-RX700 Headphones « NumptyTek

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #5 of 61
Yeah, hehe. I actually bookmarked that page in case I do purchase the ha-rx700's. But see that's why i'm kind of asking my question. I checked the cost of the materials to do those mods and it's like say at most 13 bucks. At the going rate on amazon for 35 that puts in close range to the retail price of the k81dj's.

So it's like, would modding the ha-rx700s produce better or equivalent sound to say some stock $45-$55 dollar headphones? Or would I be better off buying a set of $45-$55 headphones and THEN modding that to get a better gain in audio performance even over, though not necessarily, a set of modded ha-rx700's?

That's pretty much the essence of what I'm trying to get ask everyone. I want to find out if there's other brands I'm missing that can be modded that end up sounding as better or just as good as some stock or modded headphones despite a difference in price between them. Does that make sense?

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #6 of 61
The MS-1s can be modded to MS1000 which is a nice project. Oh, the KSC75s are also highly moddable (search for the Kramer mod).

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 61
Superlux HD681.
The HD668B are even better and require less modifications:
- rewiring with a Starquad type of cable (I used Mogami, but Canare is cheaper and works very well too)
- some basic dampening (blu-tack on the magnets and on the cups)
- replacing the stock pads with AKG velours
- installing a a foam/felt/wool ring underneath the pads (surrounding the driver units) in order to increase the distance between the ears and the drivers. This improves both comfort and sound (especially bass & soundstage).

The HD668 are great headphones in stock form and perform well above their price level.
Modified they can challenge serious cans like AKG K240DF, Senheiser HD595 or Shure SRH840.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #8 of 61
You can pick up orthodynamic phones within your range on ebay if you're patient. Most are closed supra-aural rather than cirum-aural but they are very fun to mod.

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 61
Hmmm don't really like opened cans for now, so I'll let the Grado's go...
I may give a try in these, but I'll first get my panasonic htx7 for a small mod, sell them, and then get other headphones to mod
smily_headphones1.gif
Waiting to see what can be in my budget... But I can't find the rx700 below 50€... Quite not the same budget... Maybe when I'll get more money!

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeckyllAndHyde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CAL! (btw CAL! stands for Creative Aurvana Live!) Also have great mod potential.

I can't seem to find mods for them?

They are definitively great cans though... same drive as the Denon ad1001h or something and only 55$ shipped at costco USA

To Damnegy
Oh btw, I lived in France for about 4 years... between Fontainebleau and Sens, about 100km south... Sur la Périphérique, il y a tout le temps enormément de trafic
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back