Best cans to mod?
Apr 23, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #46 of 61
RX700/RX900 (~50€) + Dynamat (~28€) + stuffing (free from teddy bears xD) + stuffing the pads with cotton or stuffing + removing the thick felt ring = seems like a good pair of headphones!
But I'm quite afraid of buying that Dynamat, as I've never seen some, nor know how thick it is and if it is the good one... Thus, I do not have space for storing the Dynamat left xD

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #47 of 61
yes, XB700 pads indeed! well, they're uber-comfy
biggrin.gif

don't waste your time w/ dynamat IMHO...it's mostly tar w/ a piece of aluminium foil on top so it's heavy and not too good to breathe/have in contact w/ your ears sweat and so...and the aluminium foil will give very harsh trebles.

you can DIY far better equivalents if you're after something that doesn't allow the cups to resonate and kill inner-cups resonances all at once...I did MANY tests, and the best I found was to use some super-thick dual sided adhesive for carpets, glue some egyptian papyrus on one side, and then glue it inside the cups...many advantages:
-the thick rubber tape won't allow the cups to resonate whatsoever, and it won't fall off after a few weeks due to sweat
-the papyrus is completely immune to moist
-it's also not flat at all, so the inner back waves are "broken"
-it's vegetal...like the cd3k cups that are made of a mix of plastic + bio fibers...it's good for sound hummm'kay
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't advise to completely cover the inside of the cups, because then there won't be any resonance anymore and the sound will be very harsh and feel like the inside of a studio cabin...you need to find the right in between, a big round piece behind the driver and that's it.

like this basically: DynaXorb

dynaxorb_with_without.gif

anyway, modding phones is a hell lot of fun, so go to SAINT-MACLOU, get the baddest thickest tape you can find and get going already
biggrin.gif

there's also tricks to play around w/ the low end bass/trebles FR...modding phones allows to make them tailor-made to your very own taste. I personally like crystal clear non-shrill trebles, and a very tight percussive bass, but not V-shaped whatsoever, do want mids!
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #48 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, XB700 pads indeed! well, they're uber-comfy
biggrin.gif

don't waste your time w/ dynamat IMHO...it's mostly tar w/ a piece of aluminium foil on top so it's heavy and not too good to breathe/have in contact w/ your ears sweat and so...and the aluminium foil will give very harsh trebles.

you can DIY far better equivalents if you're after something that doesn't allow the cups to resonate and kill inner-cups resonances all at once...I did MANY tests, and the best I found was to use some super-thick dual sided adhesive for carpets, glue some egyptian papyrus on one side, and then glue it inside the cups...many advantages:
-the thick rubber tape won't allow the cups to resonate whatsoever, and it won't fall off after a few weeks due to sweat
-the papyrus is completely immune to moist
-it's also not flat at all, so the inner back waves are "broken"
-it's vegetal...like the cd3k cups that are made of a mix of plastic + bio fibers...it's good for sound hummm'kay
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't advise to completely cover the inside of the cups, because then there won't be any resonance anymore and the sound will be very harsh and feel like the inside of a studio cabin...you need to find the right in between, a big round piece behind the driver and that's it.

like this basically: DynaXorb

dynaxorb_with_without.gif

anyway, modding phones is a hell lot of fun, so go to SAINT-MACLOU, get the baddest thickest tape you can find and get going already
biggrin.gif

there's also tricks to play around w/ the low end bass/trebles FR...modding phones allows to make them tailor-made to your very own taste. I personally like crystal clear non-shrill trebles, and a very tight percussive bass, but not V-shaped whatsoever, do want mids!
evil_smiley.gif

Wow, this indeed sounds like experience, thanks for the tips again and congratulations for having been so far in modding (papyrus oO)! One question though : as the dynaxorb is supposed to absorb the waves, isn't it just the same as covering the whole cup? (no wave bouncing either, and the dynaxorb takes all the waves, as in your picture) I have some research to do again... (carpet double-sided tape? oO)
Plus, I'm rather looking for mods that would make headphones emphasize the vocals (mainly feminine), thus looking for mids-trebles forward. So what should I do?
Thanks

Edit : by the way, dynaxorb cost twice as much as dynamat...
frown.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #49 of 61
dynaxorb is very thick and won't fit inside cups...but that's what you want to achieve...not really dynamat, which is aimed at not making the car chassis resonate...ideally you want to cut down on inner-cups AND cups resonances...but not too much or the sound will become sterile. For instance the DT770/Pro cups are made of crappy plastic, but the 770/Premium cups are made of ABS, which is thoroughly used in music instruments for its natural resonance properties.

and the aluminium foil on the Dynamat will give VERY harsh metallic trebles, it's a terrible idea IMHO...go for the old plain black tar dynamat if you really wanna use this, but it will also make your cans noticeably heavier...not so nice, together w/ the smell
biggrin.gif

well, you want to get rid of all resonances as much as possible...these will pollute the sound to a great extend..but if you want clear female vocals, you'll need high quality drivers in the first place.

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #50 of 61
Quote:

dynaxorb is very thick and won't fit inside cups...but that's what you want to achieve...not really dynamat, which is aimed at not making the car chassis resonate...ideally you want to cut down on inner-cups AND cups resonances...but not too much or the sound will become sterile. For instance the DT770/Pro cups are made of crappy plastic, but the 770/Premium cups are made of ABS, which is thoroughly used in music instruments for its natural resonance properties.

and the aluminium foil on the Dynamat will give VERY harsh metallic trebles, it's a terrible idea IMHO...go for the old plain black tar dynamat if you really wanna use this, but it will also make your cans noticeably heavier...not so nice, together w/ the smell
biggrin.gif

well, you want to get rid of all resonances as much as possible...these will pollute the sound to a great extend..but if you want clear female vocals, you'll need high quality drivers in the first place.

Hmmm but doesn't the resonance give some kind of reverb effect? Isn't it better to enhance vocals? (IMHO, when vocals do "echo" a bit, it really conveys the feelings intended) Sorry if these are dumb questions... So maybe should I go for a higher end heapdhones? :x It seems like I'm going to postpone my modding thrill for later, when I'll have some defects headphones and will make a working one one out of them xD
Thank you very much again for the advices.

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #52 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damnegy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm but doesn't the resonance give some kind of reverb effect? Isn't it better to enhance vocals?

it's all about finding the right in-between, it takes time and patience...but the reason why wooden cups are praised is because they put an end to a LOT of resonances
wink.gif

if you want true-to-life female vocals, polishing a $50 turd is not going to cut it indeed
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #53 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeckyllAndHyde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here some mods for Aurvana:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mar...-d1000-350167/

Thanks for the link, seems like it is the original mod for every dynamic headphones!

Quote:

it's all about finding the right in-between, it takes time and patience...but the reason why wooden cups are praised is because they put an end to a LOT of resonances
wink.gif

if you want true-to-life female vocals, polishing a $50 turd is not going to cut it indeed
tongue.gif

Lol, of course xD So you think I should give up that RX700/RX900 not even to learn things? Indeed, wood seem perfect (I'm looking for the R10 when I'll have money!!!!!! xDDD), starting with my ESW9a, that I like so much (for now :p). So I may build up my headphones from a good looking case, and put in some damn good drivers and wood cups :p (with great cable too of course
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Oh and just for you to know, I'm using foobar with dolby headphones and IMO, it really enhances vocals, while letting instruments at the same level as before (when playing with the right settings)

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #55 of 61
Quote:

I haven't heard the RX700 myself, but it's a $50 phone...you will have fun modding it, but it won't turn into a D7k
wink.gif

Lol yes, I think I know that :p but if they sound really good for the price of the headphones and materials, I may keep those as back up phones, as the HD681 posted before that could par SRH840, and will train on these, for then modding high end phones when I'll have some, try things that I know will affect sound in that way, that I want for these high end. But are the markl mod effective only on dynamic? :x

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #57 of 61
Quote:

find some phones you like for the highest amount you can afford, and then have fun modding them...not the other way around
wink.gif

I get it, but I wouldn't like to do something wrong with them as they would be expensive... (not drilling holes that would destroy them, etc. xDDD) and it may help me figure out what is what as I'm quite new with mid-fi, no notion of what is closed/open, dynamic/electrostatic, etc.
Actually, I'm currently quite stuck, I have my ESW9, but then what? I was thinking of trying some cheap electrostatic AT, but as they are quite old, and I can't find any (don't know how they work either), I was looking for more recent ones, and fell on the hybrid K340, but it needs an amp, so I may have to save for K340 AND amp...

Apr 23, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #59 of 61
Quote:

you can make a hell lot of fully reversible mods, don't start drilling holes just yet
biggrin.gif

Lol, yes, you're right, I'll just drop the drill of my hands now xDD SO it seems like I'll save for amp+K340 then... And those seem to be modable too
smily_headphones1.gif
But I need to have some things sold for money!!
frown.gif
just can't wait...)

Thank you so much again for guiding me through that modding thing!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back