Best cans to mod?
Apr 22, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #16 of 61
I know of some great cans to mod, but looking at your price range, I won't post them up.
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #17 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by n-ster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't seem to find mods for them?

They are definitively great cans though... same drive as the Denon ad1001h or something and only 55$ shipped at costco USA

To Damnegy
Oh btw, I lived in France for about 4 years... between Fontainebleau and Sens, about 100km south... Sur la Périphérique, il y a tout le temps enormément de trafic
tongue.gif

Hi
smily_headphones1.gif
What did you do here, if I'm not being inquisitive? Quite good french writing by the way
biggrin.gif
Figured how badly French people are supplied in headphones?... Not much of great stuff cheap here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know of some great cans to mod, but looking at your price range, I won't post them up.
wink.gif

Well, could you post them anyway? (if they are worth, I'll just say goodbye to the K340 I'll be looking for and turn for those :p)

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #18 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damnegy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, could you post them anyway? (if they are worth, I'll just say goodbye to the K340 I'll be looking for and turn for those :p)

If you insist.
smily_headphones1.gif

Denon AHD-2000, AHD-5000, AHD-7000 (Markl)
Sennheiser HD-555, HD-595, HD-650 (Recable, soundstage, and cups)
Beyerdynamic DT-770/80 (Darth)

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #19 of 61
Quote:

If you insist.
smily_headphones1.gif

Denon AHD-2000, AHD-5000, AHD-7000 (Markl)
Sennheiser HD-555, HD-595, HD-650 (Recable, soundstage, and cups)
Beyerdynamic DT-770/80 (Darth)

Well, aren't the Denon mods quite expensive? :x Even if the headphones themselves are a bit out of budget, doesn't the mods have to be made by Markl (I don't know if it is his name or whatever...)? (I think I've visited that site a few days ago, and looked at the prices...)
I think I'd rather look for mods that I can do by myself (recable may be ok, some cheap mods like tape, foam, etc. too) I'm starting looking for mods, so nothing too hard for now...
And the Senn are all open headphones
frown.gif
(not really into that type now...)
I don't know why, but I have some apprehension about every Beyers (though they look quite great, and people seem to say good things about them)... But maybe I should try one some day...

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #21 of 61
MarkL's mods are described in great detail here (by him).

Not only that they're fully DIY, but have also inspired many others with cheaper headphones.
I saw a JVC RX700 mod recently which is basically a copycat of the Markl mod. Somehow I really doubt that was the best modification possible for that particular model. Xerox imitations for acoustic dampening across headphones are not effective.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #22 of 61
Every single headphone is moddable. Recables, damping, venting, mass loading, etc. Just buy something cheap, post up a thread in the DIY forum, and have fun with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Not only that, but DIY always makes things sound better (well... not really, but it's more satisfying
tongue.gif
)

@audiofil
- I agree completely; each and every headphone requires a different dampening scheme. Even different headphones of the same model have different dampening needs depending on the tightness of the quality control.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #23 of 61
Quote:

Hi
smily_headphones1.gif
What did you do here, if I'm not being inquisitive? Quite good french writing by the way
biggrin.gif
Figured how badly French people are supplied in headphones?... Not much of great stuff cheap here...

I was 8-12 years old and didn't care much for music... was a crazy soccer fan
tongue.gif
You know.... when France was good?

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #24 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every single headphone is moddable. Recables, damping, venting, mass loading, etc. Just buy something cheap, post up a thread in the DIY forum, and have fun with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Not only that, but DIY always makes things sound better (well... not really, but it's more satisfying
tongue.gif
)

@audiofil
- I agree completely; each and every headphone requires a different dampening scheme. Even different headphones of the same model have different dampening needs depending on the tightness of the quality control.

Yes, I'm sure anything can be an improvement, but high quality cables requires money (that should be considered as part of the budget then xD) And we do not have the money to buy any headphone and try things. I'd rather learn how to make easy mods first, on heaphones that are proved to improve their sound quality with easy mods, see what are the effects of this and that. Then, I'll go for any headphones and try to improve SQ with mods I'll think about, etc.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #25 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by n-ster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was 8-12 years old and didn't care much for music... was a crazy soccer fan
tongue.gif
You know.... when France was good?

Oh, okay. Lol that's quite a while ago xD when they won the world cup? :p

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #26 of 61
Quote:

Yes, I'm sure anything can be an improvement, but high quality cables requires money (that should be considered as part of the budget then xD) And we do not have the money to buy any headphone and try things. I'd rather learn how to make easy mods first, on heaphones that are proved to improve their sound quality with easy mods, see what are the effects of this and that. Then, I'll go for any headphones and try to improve SQ with mods I'll think about, etc.

If you look through the orthodynamic thread, many of the mods described there (which, though initially applied to the planar driver, are effective on dynamic drivers as well) are very cost effective (and thus, the ortho thread is also home of "Team Cheap Bastards"). High quality cables can be had for cheap (Canare or Mogami starquad is very high quality and better than even most aftermarket headphone cables) and recabling is quite easy to do also. I would try working on any relatively cheap headphone and just practicing on it first before moving on towards an entry level headphone ($50-60 is too much to blow on a messed up recable).

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #27 of 61
Quote:

Well, aren't the Denon mods quite expensive? :x Even if the headphones themselves are a bit out of budget, doesn't the mods have to be made by Markl (I don't know if it is his name or whatever...)? (I think I've visited that site a few days ago, and looked at the prices...)
I think I'd rather look for mods that I can do by myself (recable may be ok, some cheap mods like tape, foam, etc. too) I'm starting looking for mods, so nothing too hard for now...
And the Senn are all open headphones
frown.gif
(not really into that type now...)
I don't know why, but I have some apprehension about every Beyers (though they look quite great, and people seem to say good things about them)... But maybe I should try one some day...

That's why I was hesitant to list. I know your budget is small. The LA7000 and Darth Beyers are over 1000+ to complete.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #28 of 61
Quote:

If you look through the orthodynamic thread, many of the mods described there (which, though initially applied to the planar driver, are effective on dynamic drivers as well) are very cost effective (and thus, the ortho thread is also home of "Team Cheap Bastards"). High quality cables can be had for cheap (Canare or Mogami starquad is very high quality and better than even most aftermarket headphone cables) and recabling is quite easy to do also. I would try working on any relatively cheap headphone and just practicing on it first before moving on towards an entry level headphone ($50-60 is too much to blow on a messed up recable).

Ok, thanks for the tip about those cables, I'll take a look later (it's almost 2 AM here, so I'll go to bed xD). I actually did some recabling (an iPhone cable on some Senn CX500 whose cable had completely opened xD and I did it several times...) So I'm going straight to the classe above! :p I've had a look at Orthodynamic on ebay, and it seems they are about 100€... Are they worth it? (I have to do some research on the differences between dynamic, orthodynamic, hybrid and lecetrostatic...)

Quote:

That's why I was hesitant to list. I know your budget is small. The LA7000 and Darth Beyers are over 1000+ to complete.

Ouch xD Well, maybe I'll build that up step by step...
smily_headphones1.gif
But thanks for the information, I did some research and actually, the markl mod seems quite easy though long to do. But do the mods depend on the impedance of the DT for example? Does it affect one more than another? (LA7000?? Ok, I'll go look at that!! xD)

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #29 of 61
Quote:

DIY always makes things sound better (well... not really, but it's more satisfying
tongue.gif
)

well, modding allows to finetune the SS/FR to your very personal taste...we all have different HRTF, etc etc..

I'm personally more or less set on a sa1k w/sa5k earpads, but now I need 50mm drivers...s2audio modded one w/ some cd3k drivers, and it's said to sound pretty darn good
regular_smile .gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #30 of 61
Quote:

Agreed on these sentiments. Granted any headphone can be modded, but it's like a cost vs. benefit analysis. If i go with a cheap pair of headphones and then add mods that improve the sound but the total cost comes close to the higher price range of a pair of headphones that's sounds better than the cheap pair w/ mods.....

Then ****, why didn't i just spring for higher priced one to start and save myself the hassle?

I don't know about Damnegy, but that's what I'm essentially driving at. BUT if you guys tell me there's a pair of cans that are say below $50 and after i mod them they'll sound pretty much on par or maybe even better than a pair over $50 AND the costs of the mods are low then yeah I'll go for that one.

And that's why I'm, at least, asking everyone.

Btw, appreciate the suggestions so far and ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back