best cans for female vocals
Feb 1, 2010 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

BenjaminGraham

New Head-Fier
I love Grados, but as others already know, they can be a little bright on female vocals. Any suggestions on headphones that are great with female vocals without sacraficing too much elsewhere. Any price range.

Also, are there any amps that might damp down the brightness in the Grados while keeping its overall sound. I'd assume tubes would do this, but I've never used a tube amp. Is this assumption correct? If yes, what's a good tube newb amp below 400 dollars?

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 72
Ooooh!!!

Ultrasone Pro 900s + TTVJ Milletts portable tube amplifier! Every woman's vocals will shine!
smily_headphones1.gif

The Grado 125s I have are bright, but there are times when that is actually quite nice. They are far from being languid and relaxing though. The TTVJ Millett's really sets them straight. I've noticed a new dimension in mine which made me think twice about flogging them off less than a month of receiving them
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 72
I've always like the K70x for female voices...

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 72
2x on k701s. Their sound signature kind of "dulls" the music, but with female vocals it ends up making a lot of tracks sound soothing in a really good way

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 72
Ultrasone Pro 750. Wonder if that actually doesn´t beat the Pro 900. They do give you a bit more intimacy with your female companions anyway
wink.gif

Pro 900 is still recommended overall though.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 72
Out of all my headphones the ESW10JPN is my favourite for female vocals (well, for vocals in general, actually). K701's, while they are sub-par with male vocals, are actually decent with female vocals so it's not too bad of a choice here either.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 72
Check out a Stax SR-007.
Can not go wrong with female vocals on those, or much else for that matter.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 72
Akg for female vocals=hell no! Very bright,thin and sibilant for female vocals and too unnaturally airy.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #11 of 72
The RS-1's you already own are awesome for female vocals. It's the high-end frequencies that can be a bit bright with them. The Denon's aren't too shabby either.

I recommend you look at upgrading your source to something sweeter sounding, rather than a headphone change/addition.

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend you look at upgrading your source to some sweeter sounding, rather than a headphone change/addition.

I'll add a resounding "X2" to this!

OP: what is/are your source components?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back