best cans for female vocals
Feb 3, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #47 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjaminGraham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4. As stated above, some post only included model numbers and I'm not knowledgeable enough to recognize the brand name. If you could post that up I would appreciate it.

O2 Mk1 - Stax Omega 2, and not the Omega 2 Mk2. The Mk1 was produced between 1998 and 2007. The new model is similar, but not the same, and does sound a bit different.

SR-001 - Stax SR-001 Mk2. It's a portable electrostatic system that comes with its own amp. The SR-003 is the same headphone but comes with a different cable that is terminated in a 5-pin pro-bias Stax plug.

HE90 - Sennheiser HE90 "Orpheus."

R10 - Sony MDR-R10.

Incidentally, tossing around "price no object" on audio forums is a dangerous thing to say, unless of course you do mean it. You can easily lay out $50,000 on a system, if not more.

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #48 of 72
In my experience, K701 is not suitable for female vocal. Too thin, no texture to mention. Can't convey the emotions without highlighting the tonality of female vocals. I vote for RS-1 with flats, and HD650 (which can be improved for female vocal by recabling). DX1000 carries the vocal off the edge; very (or too) smooth.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #49 of 72
47 posts and no one has yet asked what should be a highly relevant question: what kind of female vocals? There are female vocals in nearly every kind of music: operatic classical, jazz, blues, soul, pop, alt/indie, rock/prog rock, metal, industrial, electronica, trip-hop, bluegrass, country, folk, et al.

Given the proliferation of female vocals across multiple genres, by logical deduction there cannot be a single best headphone for "female vocals" in general. Headphones invariably are specifically suited to one or more genres or sonic preferences as opposed to a specific frequency band (in this case, the female vocal range). This is made all the more complicated given the complex nature of sonic perception of the female voice.

Hence, to seek out a specific set of headphones for "female vocals" is futile. Seek out headphones for either music genre or alignment with sonic preferences. This can be done by going to a meet (see the Meets forum) or buying & selling used headphones (see the classifieds area).

As for the question of dampening Grado treble without affecting the rest of the sound, have you tried alternate earpads? That would be the most cost-effective solution and the sonic effects of different earpads can be surprising.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you've only listened to one akg model, correct?
and you only listened to them with a zune or ipod as the source, right?
normal_smile .gif

No I used them using my Sony CD player and Sony DVD and still they sound bad with female vocals.....thin,sibilant,unnaturally airy and bright.And if you looked closer at my sig. I said dap and not source.

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #52 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickEC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience, K701 is not suitable for female vocal. Too thin, no texture to mention. Can't convey the emotions without highlighting the tonality of female vocals. I vote for RS-1 with flats, and HD650 (which can be improved for female vocal by recabling). DX1000 carries the vocal off the edge; very (or too) smooth.

For female vocals that are more husky, smokey, and rich (sade, k.d lang, adele, diana krall, norah jones) Grado with flats.

But when you want a thinner more airy nature, the grado bowls or jumbo bowls for even more thinner airiness is nice (jewel, sarah mclachlin, sarah brightman...)

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Akg for female vocals=hell no! Very bright,thin and sibilant for female vocals and too unnaturally airy.

Epic fail

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #55 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701 hands down for female vocals and piano!
k701smile.gif

K701 is not good for piano. Not compared to the Pro 900 anyway.

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701 is not good for piano. Not compared to the Pro 900 anyway.

They do piano better than EPOS M12i, QUAD 11L2, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, DALI Lektor 1/Lektor 6, Morduant Short 902i/Shure E4C IEM/Sennheiser PX100 (LOT of speakers there, but these are some of the other transducers that I have heard)

Very precise with start and stop of piano notes with excellent inner resolution... (sensation of hammer hitting the string)... I like the K701 with classical piano!
k701smile.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #57 of 72
Quote:

They do piano better than EPOS M12i, QUAD 11L2, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, DALI Lektor 1/Lektor 6, Morduant Short 902i/Shure E4C IEM/Sennheiser PX100 (LOT of speakers there, but these are some of the other transducers that I have heard)

Very precise with start and stop of piano notes with excellent inner resolution... (sensation of hammer hitting the string)... I like the K701 with classical piano!
k701smile.gif

Agree, the701/2 provide great dynamic and a good amount of wight for classical piano. As far vocals go, the K701/2 are my choice.

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #58 of 72
Quote:

k701smile.gif

Start/stop is to slow on my system anyway and it´s just to soft in it´s attack as you hit the keys. Lack speed I suppose.

Feb 4, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjaminGraham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love Grados, but as others already know, they can be a little bright on female vocals. Any suggestions on headphones that are great with female vocals without sacraficing too much elsewhere. Any price range.

I think the brigtness of female vocals is a record issue. Even good cans will reproduce them like that. I haven't heard human voice well recorded and mastered. Any suggestions will be appreciated
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back