Best cans for $560! REALLY NEED SOME HELP
Apr 4, 2011 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

IsaacLilley

New Head-Fier
While in the transaction of moving to Japan from the UK, I couldn't help but get distracted about how much more available headphones and headphone amps are here! Well I haven't really looked in London but yeah so....

As I'm moving into my girlfriends, I can't go down my usual route of full blown Hi-Fi like I have back home.

So these factors combined have led me to the decision on a new real good pair of cans!

I'm not a crazy Head-Fi man (yet) all my gear is relatively cheap, I have an ATH-A500 (I actually quite these considering it was like 40 gbp), ATH-Pro500 I think the same as M50... Maybe I'm wrong and finally sens HD555.

I also own the E7-E9 combo as an Amp/DAC.

Now the important stuff.

Anyways, as you can see all these phones are under the £100/ 10000 yen mark but this time I'm looking for something a bit more serious! around 50000 yen / £350 but I have to keep around this budget unfortunately, money isn't seemingly abundant at 18 years old 
tongue.gif

Open or Closed not fussed, however, I don't want to get a pair of great sounding opens with a lack of bass impact
Now I like a good amount of bass but I'm not a bass head, if you know what I mean??
confused.gif
 maybe?
I like impact and quality but CAN NOT stand overwhelming amounts of BOOM.
I don't like very bright sounding phones, but I don't mind a little bit of sparkle in the top end.

I mainly listen to Classic Rock... Pink Floyd, Eagles, Guns n Roses, Def Leppard and a fair bit of classical mostly romantic classical which is mostly quite thick in texture, if this means anything to you.

Now the headphones I've read up on (here funnily enough), are the DT990's (meant to have good bass for an open) Denon AHD5000 (quite tempted by these actually), ATH-A2000x (Don't know much about these, but since I seem to like the AT sound would like to know some more) and finally the Sens HD650 and HD600's.

Help is MUCH MUCH MUCH appreciated!

Cheers

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 34
I always think people who listen to both rock and classical are particularly hard to suit, as these often have conflicting requirements. However, if you're wondering about the lack of replies it's probably because you've given a scattergun description of your likes and dislikes which could apply to almost any phone on the planet. You want bass but not boom, you don't like bright but a bit of sparkle is okay. Not criticising you (you are 18, after all, which is a fine excuse for almost anything short of murder
wink.gif
), but it does make it hard to know where to begin to offer advice. You may or may not like any of the phones you've mentioned, and there's little evidence either way. Have you a chance to audition any of these phones? Have you heard any higher end phones that you liked? What I mean is, give us more to work with.

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 34

Quote:
Now I like a good amount of bass but I'm not a bass head, if you know what I mean??
confused.gif
 maybe?
I like impact and quality but CAN NOT stand overwhelming amounts of BOOM.
I don't like very bright sounding phones, but I don't mind a little bit of sparkle in the top end.

I know exactly what you want, because I feel the same way!

I now have the HFI-780 and when I wanted to upgrade I checked out a lot of more expensive phones from Sennheiser, AKG and Denon. However, none pleased me as they had muddy bass (or none) in comparison, and highs were either too sharp too soft. I admit, I will check out Beyerdynamic very soon, but so far there's not a single brand that would have made me switch from Ultrasone.

So I guess you might want to check out the PRO 750 or 900. Precision and impact of the bass are unmatched and the highs are sparkling. I would consider all of the Ultrasone line-up "fun 'phones", though.

Apr 5, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #6 of 34

Quote:
I always think people who listen to both rock and classical are particularly hard to suit, as these often have conflicting requirements. However, if you're wondering about the lack of replies it's probably because you've given a scattergun description of your likes and dislikes which could apply to almost any phone on the planet. You want bass but not boom, you don't like bright but a bit of sparkle is okay. Not criticising you (you are 18, after all, which is a fine excuse for almost anything short of murder
wink.gif
), but it does make it hard to know where to begin to offer advice. You may or may not like any of the phones you've mentioned, and there's little evidence either way. Have you a chance to audition any of these phones? Have you heard any higher end phones that you liked? What I mean is, give us more to work with.

I can see what your saying here, let me try and clear things up a little.
Well basically I would like a pair of headphones that can deliver on the bass end with tight but strong impact and without making the mids recessed and muddy as for the treble (I find this particularly hard to explain), well I would guess I would have to say I dislike an overly bright top end but it is difficult to define overly bright, so I'm just going to say I don't like bright sounds.

as an example well, I don't like the voices on my ATH-A500's they always feel like they're behind the instruments, I would also prefer it to have a bit more bass, but overall I do like the sound it creates, It's just them voices. (But I feel this is a completely different league of headphone)

I listen to more classic rock then classical, more a 70/30 balance so if it helps, this would be my 1st priority.

I have only heard the D5000 but it was for seconds literally, so I have no real lasting impression, I'm planning on making a trip to tokyo in a couple days so will give the cans mentioned above ago.

As for the Ultrasone I've never looked into this manufacturer so will give them ago.

I thought the AT W1000x was above the W5000 which I think is out of my budget.

Apr 5, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #7 of 34
Have you consider a Sens HD25-1 II? Its a monitoring phones with a bit bump in the bass and really awesome mid and treble.

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 34
JVC DX-1000 it's what I swear by! With a tube amp, it handles any classic. With a SS amp it handles rock well; unless you want to listen to some live recordings, then use the tube amp. The European version goes for about $500 right?

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 34

Quote:
JVC DX-1000 it's what I swear by! With a tube amp, it handles any classic. With a SS amp it handles rock well; unless you want to listen to some live recordings, then use the tube amp. The European version goes for about $500 right?

Now these look like interesting phones, how so they compare to other woodies such as the AT W series and the Denon D5000's
Will my E7 E9 combo do these phones justice or would there be extra amps bought in future as well?
I can't upgrade my amp straight away but if I can drive them well enough for the time being they're definitely worth the look at.

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #11 of 34
The E9 shold be able to run them easily.

I think hte European version is called HA-DX1000  (instead of HP)

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #12 of 34
Look really interesting, I can't seem to find them as cheap as you mentioned though.
I am able to buy in Japan and England as I am returning back to England mid may for my Sisters wedding.

So far I shall be trying to audition the D5000, HA-DX1000, HD650, AT A2000x, W5000 (Just to see what they are like) and Pro 750.
I am liking the look of these closed back woods though!

Any more suggestions or info?

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 34
Why not to try HD650, I'm enjoying both classic/progressive rock and classical plus others thru them even with stock cable but upgrading to Moon Audio Blue Dragon Version 3 cable improved them, bass quality improvement is noticeable first

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #14 of 34

Quote:
Why not to try HD650, I'm enjoying both classic/progressive rock and classical plus others thru them even with stock cable but upgrading to Moon Audio Blue Dragon Version 3 cable improved them, bass quality improvement is noticeable first

I'm definitely interested in HD650's, can you point out any characteristics they have (or lack of them), how neutral are they, and how would you describe their mid and bottom end?

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #15 of 34
The W1000X is actually less expensive than the W5000, and retails between $500 and $600. Outside of the packaging (cardboard vs the flight case) and the earpads (pleather vs leather), it's a mystery to me as to why the 5k is still considered the flagship. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back