best cables for 333ES to Cosmic Reference?
Nov 20, 2001 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
I don't know jack about cables. What is a good recommendation for connecting my Sony SACD 333ES to my Cosmic Reference amp with HD600's?

Thanks in advance

Nov 20, 2001 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 13
Cables are a fairly controversial topic sometimes. Much depends on what you want to spend. IMO your system is good enough so that it would benefit from a high quality interconnect. I (as well as some other posters) like the Homegrown Audio Silver Lace interconnect (www.homegrownaudio.com). IMO it represents a very good performance/price point. You might want to check recent threads for more information.

Another possibility to consider is upgrading the HD-600 cable to one of the Clou cables (www.headphone.com). IMO the Clou really enhances the performance of the HD-600. I'd get the Silver Lace (or whichever you prefer) first, though, unless you've already got a good interconnect.

Nov 20, 2001 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 13
johnnylexus,

One of the considerations (which is probably at least part of the reason you're asking about this) is the recessed RCA jacks on the Cosmic (to protect the cables and jacks for portable use). Many of the larger RCA plugs won't fit in there, from what I understand.

DiMarzio makes a special interconnect for HeadRoom, designed to accomodate the Cosmic's recessed jacks -- one side of each cable is terminated with a smaller RCA plug. I've never tried DiMarzio cables, but they seem to be well thought of.

Another cable brand with plugs that would likely fit the Cosmic would be Audioquest. I've owned Audioquest Corals and quite liked them (they are priced at ~$130/meter/pair). The RCA plugs seem quite slim.

Nov 20, 2001 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 13
Jude,

Thanks for the reminder about the recessed RCA jacks!

I had an old style Supreme at one point. The locking RCA plugs of the MIT MI-330 were just small enough to fit into the recess...and that's another cable worth considering (if it can be found at a healthy discount, anyway. Audioadvisor may still be clearing them out). I'll check later to see if the Homegrown's plugs are wider than the MIT's, but I'm afraid they are.

Nov 21, 2001 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 13
Has anyone tried the DIY termination Sakura cables (from 47 Labs)? These are *hair thin* and have been getting some extremely positive reviews when use in big rig systems.

Do a search for them at Audiogon to check them out. I'm toying with getting the "kit" (roll of cable and RCA's) for my main system and my headphone systems. If you are not aware of them, 47 Labs makes some extraordinary, and quite differently conceived equipment.

Nov 21, 2001 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 13
I use Bob Crump's Orpheus pure silver ICs. It's pure solid silver core, teflon di-electric, a silver shield and WBT plugs for $150. They sound A-MAZING in my rig. They easily outpace Kimber Silver Streaks, Cardas 300s, Monster anything, etc. They're giant killers IMO.

No affiliation. Email him at Bob@skydivers.co.uk

Nov 21, 2001 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 13
Oh yeah, watch out for cables that aren't braided or shielded 'cause RFI is a problem. Shielding is theoretically better than braiding; I think shielding sounds better than braiding.

Nov 21, 2001 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
I use Bob Crump's Orpheus pure silver ICs. It's pure solid silver core, teflon di-electric, a silver shield and WBT plugs for $150. They sound A-MAZING in my rig. They easily outpace ... anything, etc. They're giant killers IMO.

How are they on bass?

Nov 21, 2001 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
I use Bob Crump's Orpheus pure silver ICs. It's pure solid silver core, teflon di-electric, a silver shield and WBT plugs for $150. They sound A-MAZING in my rig. They easily outpace Kimber Silver Streaks, Cardas 300s, Monster anything, etc. They're giant killers IMO.

No affiliation. Email him at Bob@skydivers.co.uk

The WBT plugs are too large for the recessed RCA jacks of the Cosmic, disqualifying this cable and the Homegrown Audio cable for the original poster.

Nov 22, 2001 at 3:08 AM Post #12 of 13
thanks for all your replies ....

confusing to say the least. the size restriction of the plugs is clearly a big issue here.

Dusty...
the email you sent me today was cool, but it came to my work email address. can you forward it to my home email? reswedberg@home.com.

thanks

Nov 22, 2001 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 13
The Orpheus ICs are custom made so you can get Bob to use different plugs for your cosmic. The Orpheus ICs can be best described as poor-man's Cardas Neutrals... Full frequency response, flat, flat, flat. Transparent, wonderful. Full reviews coming up soon. They transmit deep, accurate bass. All the way down to 20hz. (That's the limit of my hearing and the CD format
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back